Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living a more sustainable life in a climate change emergency

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

cutelad wrote: »
    Yep. Lets all go to the manufacturers Saturday and do that. Yawn

What's your answer?

• cutelad wrote: »
    Yep. Lets all go to the manufacturers Saturday and do that. Yawn
    Stupid answer and not at all helpful.
    The solution is to give negative reviews of products that have a short lifespan, refuse to repeat purchase and tell the manufacturers why and as manufacturers are driven by "consumer demand" challange them to react.

Reducing excessive consumerism, will be bad for business, so this is why the subject is always sidelined and ridiculed (as above).
    But a reduction in repeatedly buying the same thing time and again will result in a significant reduction in greenhouse gases at all stages of production from, quarrying to filling landfill sites.

I challange to say I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Selenophile

Reducing excessive consumerism, will be bad for business, so this is why the subject is always sidelined and ridiculed (as above).
    But a reduction in repeatedly buying the same thing time and again will result in a significant reduction in greenhouse gases at all stages of production from, quarrying to filling landfill sites.
    I actually think that we are just about to enter the new era, which will introduce a completely different business model and in fact support reduced production.
    There are already some startups that are going into this new direction - renting goods instead of buying. The idea is that a final user doesn't need to own a product during its entire lifespan but only occasionally. So, the same product can be used by many users (time sharing). Similar to borrowing books from the library.
    However, there is a question, how it can work for business and secure the steady income. Well, there is a simple answer. Software industry for example, favors subscription models. In some earlier times you'd pay hefty license to install MS Office package. Today, they prefer if you would buy subscription for their cloud based Office.
    This model with subscriptions like with Netflix or Spotify, can be and is applied to some other types of businesses e.g. renting expensive clothes from famous designers. It makes it affordable for users, but it also provides steady income to the company that offers these items. Even when we are not talking about time sharing, than a product can be simply leased for some monthly or annual subscription fee.

Of course, if the producer is the one that offers products in this way, then it would be much more profitable to have durable and reliable product that will not need much maintenance. Take as an example a dishwasher. Wouldn't it be fantastic for the producer to provide a dishwasher to user for some fixed monthly fee of say 4 or 5 eur (or maybe less). In that case, the producer would want dishwasher to last more than 5 years, and it would bring much better profit in this scenario. I simplified the model, but I guess you can understand the idea.

Sure, we can say that many businesses will resist this change. But I think that there will be a huge pressure from the lawmakers, from consumers, and from new or transformed old competitors that will introduce these new, environmentally friendly solutions and models. Those that don't want to change will simply suffer loses and disappear from the market.

• The other main points that would make these changes possible would require a change from "lending money into existence" which required infinite growth to "spending money into existence" which allows for zero growth without breaking the system. Such a financial system would put an end of the need for businesses to require growth infinitely.

The other requirement would be to set up Universal Basic income schemes in most developed countries to provide income for those who will be working fewer hours due to the production of durable goods, going "green" isn't going to be a free ride for anyone, but it does require some serious changes to avoid the total "burn out" the current economic model is heading.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If every person complained to manufacturers about planned & perceived obsolescence and demanded products that were durable, repairable and long lasting, we would make huge headways into reducing waste at evert level of the production chain.
    a minor issue - but how about baking consumer law into warranties on goods?
    a friend recently told me they'd replaced an oven after just over two years because it failed, and it came with a one year warranty. however, if they'd known about consumer law, they'd have been able to demand a fix or replacement from the supplier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Selenophile

The other main points that would make these changes possible would require a change from "lending money into existence" which required infinite growth to "spending money into existence" which allows for zero growth without breaking the system. Such a financial system would put an end of the need for businesses to require growth infinitely.

The other requirement would be to set up Universal Basic income schemes in most developed countries to provide income for those who will be working fewer hours due to the production of durable goods, going "green" isn't going to be a free ride for anyone, but it does require some serious changes to avoid the total "burn out" the current economic model is heading.
    Form what we can read about this latest UN summit, it looks like that many in financial sector are aware of what is coming.
    The Universal Basic Income is obviously becoming unavoidable reality for the near future. It is not only the question of going "green", but also automation.

I agree with you that is not going to be a "free ride", and I'm afraid that it may also trigger some violent resistance to change.

• a minor issue - but how about baking consumer law into warranties on goods?
    a friend recently told me they'd replaced an oven after just over two years because it failed, and it came with a one year warranty. however, if they'd known about consumer law, they'd have been able to demand a fix or replacement from the supplier.
    Yes, I agree, goods should be expected to last longer, not expire shortly after the warranty period. But is is more to do with the enormous waste of (non renewable) natural resources and the energy that is consumed in every step of the process from quarry to landfill that making these products entail.

It should be written into law that a manufacturer is prohibited from using life shortening "features" in their products, those products that have such features would be taxed at double VAT or similar penalty.

Similar penalties on products that are designed not to be repaired.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yes, I agree, goods should be expected to last longer, not expire shortly after the warranty period.
    that's pretty much what consumer law states, though - that a good should last a reasonable length of time. e.g. if you buy a cooker, you should expect it to last longer than say two years, otherwise it's not of merchantable quality.
    if more people knew about this - and followed up on it, it might not be enough to change the way the manufacturers behave (or more likely how the retailers do).

as mentioned, it's a minor issue given the topic at hand.

• Buy less stuff and save the planet!

Buy more stuff and save the economy!

The choice is yours

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ohographite

A low waste shop, The Good Neighbour, has recently opened in Dundrum.
    It has grains, spices, nuts, sweets, beans, etc. in large containers, and customers can bring their own containers and fill them with the things they want to buy, with no single use packaging involved!
    You can also refill empty containers with handwash or washing up liquid from the big containers of them in the shop as well.
    As well as these things, the shop has a lot more!

This shop is great to reduce your use of single-use packaging, so I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to live more sustainably, and who spends lots of time around the Dundrum area.

Its Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/thegoodneighbourdublin/

Its exact address is:
    Unit 8,
    Main Street,
    Dundrum Village,
    Dublin 14.

eircode:
    D14 ET96

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

it would be no harm if smart phones had a minimum warranty of 2 years. then slowly bring it up to 5, same should eventually go for all electronics. 1 year warranties are far too short

it would be no harm if smart phones had a minimum warranty of 2 years. then slowly bring it up to 5, same should eventually go for all electronics. 1 year warranties are far too short
    warranties are meaningless in many ways, consumer law is your friend here.

however, i suspect phones actually failing, account for a small fraction of phone replacements compared to damage, which wouldn't be covered by warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

warranties are meaningless in many ways, consumer law is your friend here.

however, i suspect phones actually failing, account for a small fraction of phone replacements compared to damage, which wouldn't be covered by warranty.

I have had loads of phones fail on me. Touch screens that stopped working, batteries lasting very short all of a sudden in addition to phones that just plain stopped working for no good reason. The warranty isn't meaningless because if such a thing happens you can send it back for a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Sunday Business Post have started a series of podcasts called Five Degrees of Change. The first one, Daniel Murray is talking to John Fitzgerald.
    https://www.businesspost.ie/climate-environment/podcast-five-degrees-of-change-john-fitzgerald-cc265f0e

Worth listening to.

• I have had loads of phones fail on me. Touch screens that stopped working, batteries lasting very short all of a sudden in addition to phones that just plain stopped working for no good reason. The warranty isn't meaningless because if such a thing happens you can send it back for a replacement
    Try one of these https://chargie.org/

Chargie is world's only
    USB device + App system that
    stops phone/tablet battery degradation by smartly
    managing nighttime
    charging.

It charges your phone the same way that an electric vehicle charges, thus prolonging the battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

gozunda wrote: »
    The facts are that Fossil fuel use and Transport are the two single biggest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions on the planet.

With regard to individual responsibility - it has been suggested that for the purposes of "Individual consumer choices - the top (three) actions you can take to cut your own emissions, in order of impact, includes:

• Have fewer (or no) children (equaling, for someone in a rich country) an estimated 58.6 tons of C02 equivalent per child, per year
    •Live car-free (about 2.4 tons per year)
    •Avoid air travel (about 1.6 tons per round-trip transatlantic flight)."

With regard flying and eating meat btw - it has been shown that flying just one leg of a transatlantic flight is the equivalent of eating beef (as part of a normal diet) for a whole year. (Depending on meat type, region and production system - this figure may be much less than a TA flight*).Meat' is not even one of the top three tbh. Choosing dilfferent types of meat and dairy which have lower Impacts also makes sense if you wish to cut back.

greenhouse_DRUPAL_copyedited-01.png?itok=hNUV4xGc

The OP may not be able (for evident reasons) to negate impacts of having children as he states he already has a family - however the use of fossil fuel whether through transport etc is the next biggest factor in reducing environmental impact. Interestingly choosing not to fly (which the OP mentions elsewhere) is one of the single biggest and possibly easiest means of reducing your carbon footprint. For a family of four example - foregoing one round-trip transatlantic flight would cut a families CO2 emissions  by an estimated 6,400 kilograms...

This is the data as an Infographic
    fourchoices_1.jpg?itok=BU5_W2Os

Travel estimates should be for per passenger.

• Avoiding planned obsolescence is completely ignored on that chart, if we made products that last for 25 years instead of only 5 we would eliminate the CO2 generated by the 4 extra units as well as all the waste generated.
    Same goes for software updates that render phones and other electronics unusable years before the hardware fails.

We really should be bringing economists into these discussions, after all, it is because of economic activity, which economists have developed (and business & governments make possible) that we are living in such a consumer based throwaway economy .

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Gangu

Time for more tips - anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Buy higher quality clothes that will keep for a long time. I think the days of going into Pennies and buying a shirt that loses its shape after two washes is gone.

• Stop commuting and work from home whenever possible.

Resist the call to go back to the office if wfh works for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ohographite

There will be another climate strike on Friday the 24th of September(in 2 days time at time of writing). It will be at 1-2pm, outside the Dáil on Merrion Square in Dublin. It will be led by schoolchildren on strike, but anyone is welcome to join it, as long as they wear a face mask. I suppose going to climate protests counts as living a more sustainable life in that it urges the government to do more to address the climate emergency. I wouldn't say they are doing enough so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

I've seen a few comments about going car free. That may be too much for many people, at least in one go. I'd suggest maybe having one day a week where you go car free, or if you're in a two car family, going to one car.

If you go car free once a week (to start off with...), make an actual change, rather than, for example, designating your WFH day as your car free day, when you don't normally use it that day anyway.

In our family, we went from two cars to one a few years ago. Initially it was an experiment after my car bit the dirt, but we never went back. I occasionally have to rent a car, and we certainly have to plan car use* more than we ever did, but it has been great actually.

*That's as it should be, for something that does so much damage.

• The biggest one for me has been driving as little as humanly possible. Instead, walking and/or using public transit whenever possible. Recently in this country, and it's definitely a lot harder to do both here because of poor pedestrian infrastructure and absolutely atrocious public transit. Still making this a very high priority.

Other ideas, not eating red meat. Buying mostly used clothing. Avoiding plastic packaging as much as possible. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Reduce consumption of imported junk.

Eliminate all the BS social media...Google the CO2 emissions of a Tweet...its horrifying.

currently sitting here with the heating on in economy mode, reading this nonsense...

Brussels Airlines has operated 3,000 empty flights this winter to avoid losing take-off and landing rights at major airports, it has been revealed.

The airline's parent company, Lufthansa, said it had flown 18,000 times this winter without passengers, including 3,000 flights under the Brussels Airlines banner.

https://www.thebulletin.be/brussels-airlines-runs-3000-empty-flights-maintain-airport-slots

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Eating more locally produced food is a better option than buying highly processed food with massive air miles. We are one of the most sustainable producers of meat & dairy in the world.

you're better off buying a tomato flown in from spain than you are buying one grown in a commercial greenhouse in ireland.

and saying we're one of the most sustainable producers of meat and dairy is a very qualified statement. beef is bad for GHG emissions, no matter how good we are at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Gangu

This is truly terrifying. Is there any action citizens can take to counter this terrible position? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Nermal

Just pretend that you're poor. A green future is a poor one.

The hard part is maintaining the delusion that your new life is more pleasant than the previous one.

But some people here have clearly managed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I used to shop at one like that in Sheffield forty years ago..

Advertisement