Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hornby Christmas tree sets - layouts

Options
  • 10-12-2019 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi all,

Festive greetings.

We have had Hornby R1185 Santa's Express Christmas Train Set going around our Christmas tree for the last few years. The kids (and me) love it. However, this year I'm looking to take things up a notch or two and add another train.

The kids love Harry Potter so I want to add the Hornby R1234 Harry Potter Hogwarts Express Train Set. I was wondering if you guys could give me any advice on the possibility of integrating these two trains on the same tracks?

My current thinking is that I can simply buy the Hornby R8221 00 Gauge Track Extension Pack A and have the Harry Potter train run in a wider loop outside of the santa train and completely independent of it. However, is there a better configuration that you could recommend? I believe that the HP train is DCC and the santa one is not - although I'm not fully sure I understand the difference.

Apologies, I'm a blow in to the world of models but I'd really appreciate any guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you have two powerpacks (or a double), then run two separate loops around and keep them apart. If you have only one, then just run one at a time. Mixing DC and DCC will complicate things and need more expertise from you to get it right.

It gets very complicated when you try to mix the two.
    http://blog.model-train-help.com/2016/10/can-i-run-dc-and-dcc-on-same-layout.html

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

Thanks Tabnabs. I have two power packs so I will do as you suggested and run two separate loops. The other options look like hassle and I don't like hassle!

Thanks again for your reply.

Advertisement