Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Friends New born

• 26-07-2019 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

Hi All

My best friend is expecting his first child. This is the first friend in our circle to have a child.

What would be appropriate here as a gift for a best friend.

I know his partner received lots of stuff from her own girl friends but from a lads perspective what is expected?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Honestly, I would ask them if there is anything they need for the baby, or else give cash or a voucher. I have two young kids and so many people bought commemorative gifts that they obviously thought were lovely and heartfelt, but honestly, with a small house, I just don’t have the space for stuff like that. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful, but there’s so much ‘stuff’ that comes with a new baby, I personally think the last thing people need is more ‘stuff’ that they don’t need.

Vouchers for somewhere like Boots, Next, M&S etc are lovely to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My daughter got a gift of a voucher for a photo session whenever they felt ready to use it .She loved that idea

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Giving him an excuse to get away from the house would be present enough. A night away when the mother in law is staying over something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I'd agree, a voucher. The photoshoot one is a great idea. I must write that one down.

Vouchers are usually the lazy route but for a newborn, very practical.

• Advertisement

I could have opened a blanket shop when my two were born! I got so many and some where engraved with the babies name or date of birth. It's a lovely idea, but there is a good chance someone else has had the same idea. That's why I think it's a good idea to ask what the parents need or else play it safe with a voucher.

What about a restaurant voucher and a promise to babysit when they want to use it! Now that’s a gift I would have absolutely loved!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Darthvadar

I buy Prize Bonds for the baby....

Darth...

Advertisement