Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are animals better patients than humans?

• 21-02-2020 9:06pm

My 8 year old cat, BooBoo, has just come home today after amputation of his left hind leg yesterday. It had bone cancer at top of femur, which in cats is quite well addressed by amputation. He is by nature a calm cat, and is tolerating this very well. I suppose the fentanyl patch on his tail helps a good deal, and although perfectly alert, he has that faraway look and probably experiencing little kitty hallucinations.

I have had 3 major abdominal surgeries plus a knee replacement. The latter was horribly painful for 9 months after. I was a much worse patient than he is, especially after the orthopaedic surgery. I don’t know why, but in my experience a lot of animals tend to be much better patients than many humans. Anybody gave similar experience of great pet patients?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

The thing is animals can’t talk. I’m sure he would be effing and blinding given the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The thing is animals can’t talk. I’m sure he would be effing and blinding given the chance.

Assuring you that cats can " talk" very expressively indeed . And cry too.

He began to have pain yesterday because he had been overly active, causing tissue swelling. At first he was crying out, then put his chin firmly down on my arm and began to soothe himself by purring in the way cats do. Got himself out of pain successfully and back to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

MAJOR surgery - an amputation!! - has he got balance problems?? How is he coping with walking/running? Its amazing how resiliant animals are...

aonb wrote: »
    MAJOR surgery - an amputation!! - has he got balance problems?? How is he coping with walking/running? Its amazing how resiliant animals are...

He’s on a Fentanyl patch which helps with pain, that will be removed tomorrow. He got a bit too active and caused a lot of swelling in the surgical site, with serous fluid seeping through wound. Better today, but he’s trying to get back to normal activities like the scratching post. They manage well with 3 legs and he’s quickly learning to balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Graces7 wrote: »
    Assuring you that cats can " talk" very expressively indeed . And cry too.

As the grandhuman to 4 (dear daughter's rescues) and human to 1 rescue of our own I can absolutely agree. I can barely get a word in edgeways with the chat-ter. However after 20 odd years I believe I'm almost fluent in cat.

To the OP I understand your concern and no, we've never housed an amputee, but BooBoo will be fine. They are so resilient he will adapt and before you know it will have the pass for your phone and will have ordered cod a la plancha for supper.

The cat I gave refuge to - or, rather who insisted on coming here - ie Tonto - has a wide , loud and persistent vocabulary. Trust me on that! "Let me in the house!" is what it consists of. "Now!" When I just put the light on ( 2.40 am ish) he saw and started.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I don’t think the feel they pain any less than us but through evolution they hide it better to ensure survival as weak or injured animals are easy prey. Cats are very good at hiding how sick they are.

Often when a cat has been severely injured they will lie low and go into survival mode, badly injured cats are unlikely to be found by owners when this happens their instinct for survival kicks in very strongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Cats are very good at hiding how sick they are.

True, our vet says if you think your cat is sick then by the time that becomes obvious to you they're probably very sick.

Stratvs wrote: »
    True, our vet says if you think your cat is sick then by the time that becomes obvious to you they're probably very sick.

The eating or not is the real sign. If any of mine refuse food? I missed that with Beata cat as wee dog's death diverted me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I don’t think the feel they pain any less than us but through evolution they hide it better to ensure survival as weak or injured animals are easy prey.

This is it. A crippled animal in the wild will die/get eaten, a human can rely on other humans to protect/feed them while they recover.

It's the same with babies, a baby pup/kitten will be up and walking within a few weeks whereas it takes human babies months to get going.

BooBoo now recovering very well indeed after a minor scare when wound leaked red serous fluid and he was a bit distressed by that. It’s pretty normal after amputation. He’s getting back to normal, and trying to take advantage by trying to refuse to leave my bedroom at my sleep time :D

BooBoo now recovering very well indeed after a minor scare when wound leaked red serous fluid and he was a bit distressed by that. It’s pretty normal after amputation. He’s getting back to normal, and trying to take advantage by trying to refuse to leave my bedroom at my sleep time :D

Ah the old emotional blackmail tactic! You would love Oliver; he is the most devious, manipulative and shameless cat I have ever had, but his big mistake was picking on Jacob as he is not allowed to get away with that, Does not stop him trying. He knows he will get sent outside and as soon as he is found out he even goes to the door ready,

Advertisement