Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A thread for all Things Retro Bowl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I doubt I'm the only one on here playing it but if I am, you guys have to get Retro Bowl. It's fantastic.

6 seasons with Washington and it was time to move on and take over a tyre fire at Mile High.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newstargames.retrobowl

https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroBowl/

I hate you.

7 seasons played already since you posted this.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I hate you.

7 seasons played already since you posted this.

:mad:

Yussss!!!

Just going into season 2 with Denver now myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Yussss!!!

Just going into season 2 with Denver now myself.

Cracking little game. Has that "one more game" feeling that Madden never had for me!

Cracking little game. Has that "one more game" feeling that Madden never had for me!

There's a sweet spot for detail in a game and it just about nails it. Hopefully an update brings the D.

The same company made New Star Soccer which was a glorious piece of work until several upgrades brought in loads of micropayments so it became unplayable with ads etc. I fear this may go the same way. But until then...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What's the craic with the in game purchases? Can ya do much for free or is this gonna sucker me in?

• Advertisement

Nah. Only thing you need to do is buy the game really (€1.09). The in game credits mount up once you keep your fans happy.

I'm in my 8th full season (Season one is a practice run) and I haven't had a losing season yet. Denver were in bits and I cut the whole squad in advance of my first draft.

503204.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Nah. Only thing you need to do is buy the game really (€1.09). The in game credits mount up once you keep your fans happy.

I'm in my 8th full season (Season one is a practice run) and I haven't had a losing season yet. Denver were in bits and I cut the whole squad in advance of my first draft.

503204.jpg

looks like you turned into the retro bowl version of Jeff Fisher after your championship year!!

I'm stuck into my inaugural year with the Bengals.....not going so well, but to be honest I am hoarding coins in the hopes of using them in my second job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Whats it like? As in what do you actually control and is it easy to just pick up and play while on toilet breaks in work etc?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 37,493 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Whats it like? As in what do you actually control and is it easy to just pick up and play while on toilet breaks in work etc?
    Very easy to play, just make sure volume is off.

looks like you turned into the retro bowl version of Jeff Fisher after your championship year!!

I'm stuck into my inaugural year with the Bengals.....not going so well, but to be honest I am hoarding coins in the hopes of using them in my second job!!

Tbf, I got ahead if myself and wouldn't pay contracts for my WR or QB so screwed myself big time when I got rid and then the draft had nothing decent in it. As you can see it took a while to win the division again after that glorious February Day.

Hoarding coins is a great idea. Only problem is your rep unsurprisingly dictates your end of season offers.

In my 8-8 years I couldn't even get an offer from 2-14 Broncos. So be wary if you have your eyes on somewhere else in particular... And I think we both know you do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Christy42

They stated the latest update allows people to start with their favourite team

Tbf, I got ahead if myself and wouldn't pay contracts for my WR or QB so screwed myself big time when I got rid and then the draft had nothing decent in it. As you can see it took a while to win the division again after that glorious February Day.

Hoarding coins is a great idea. Only problem is your rep unsurprisingly dictates your end of season offers.

In my 8-8 years I couldn't even get an offer from 2-14 Broncos. So be wary if you have your eyes on somewhere else in particular... And I think we both know you do...

Seeing as the XFL has it's own thread, I think retro bowl deserves a thread too....or will there just be 3 people on it!

Well sure if the 3 people can have a good time posting about it!

Speaking of which. Has anyone gotten a run game going?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Guffy

Christy42 wrote: »

Find the run game very easy, pass game hit and miss though. Is tit possible to flip/change plays?

Christy42 wrote:
    Yes, figured it out in my second season. Bouncing out to the sideline, so long as you don't go out of bounds works pretty. The rest is just feel when you get used to it.

They stated the latest update allows people to start with their favourite team

Where's the fun in that.

I'm here for the misery and HTTR chants!

My shock was how I've adjusted my game for certain teams.

After a couple plays and there's no separation on the routes I usually go run for a bit to build up my own confidence. That's the mindf**k of it!
    Guffy wrote: »
    Find the run game very easy, pass game hit and miss though. Is tit possible to flip/change plays?

You can't change plays. Which I guess makes it more challenging for the limited amount it has.

Your play selection seems to be dependent on how good your OC is. But again, this could be "sensible soccer" supposition on my part.
    In fact, Sensible Soccer is better animated than a modern football game, by using the impressively sturdy anti-aliasing of the human mind to fill in the gaps. When watching FIFA, there’s always going to be tiny problems which drag you out of the world where animation doesn’t quite match up. As you approach perfection, the errors scream. In Sensible, the reverse happened, with people claiming to have seen animation where there was none. It all happened so quickly, over-head kicks were pasted in our inner minds. Which reminds us that videogames are just the world’s most elaborate magic trick, and whatever works, works.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/11/sensible-soccer-foot-to-ball-and-me/

Interesting about retrobowl. Maybe with a new running back I might find more room to run. Always worried about the 0yrd/-1 yrd runs. At least with incompletions I am happy I can get the first down in a single pass (I tend to run at 21yards per completion - Fitzpatrick eat your heart out). It does lead to ints though but overall I am more comfortable with the pass game.

Good to hear that it might just be me and there is another side of the game to play with. Curious if we will get proper running QBs in the game at any point.

Christy42 wrote:
    Interesting about retrobowl. Maybe with a new running back I might find more room to run. Always worried about the 0yrd/-1 yrd runs. At least with incompletions I am happy I can get the first down in a single pass (I tend to run at 21yards per completion - Fitzpatrick eat your heart out). It does lead to ints though but overall I am more comfortable with the pass game.
    I drafted a rb and it definitely made a difference. If you look at your roster and see if you have a rb, if you don't then get one.
    Christy42 wrote:
    Good to hear that it might just be me and there is another side of the game to play with. Curious if we will get proper running QBs in the game at any point.
    That'd be nice but it's a retro game so I think it's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Guffy wrote: »

I'm doing much better passing. Maybe I need a better RB

Throw the ball backwards and qb runs

Not very well mind, at least if he has just 2 stars

• Advertisement

Ok, I was feeling a bit guilty spamming the WW thread, so w'll give this one a whirl.......

My first season (Bengals) culminated in a 45-0 second round playoff loss to the eventual champion (not sure if this just coincidence) KC Chiefs!

My QB (me really) managed to somehow do his best Vinny Testevarde impersonation by throwing 7 interceptions. By the end I was stubbornly forcing the ball in!

Tactics for second season, going to try and experiment, so experiment #1 is to release the entire defence and try to build an offensive juggernaut.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Moved the relevant posts to the new thread.

There's nothing as satisfying as watching your old team crash and burn after you leave.

I got a pile of offers but I'm only moving to New England and sadly they didn't offer me the job respite me beating them in the regular season.
    I've four seasons played, went 15-1 in my last season but I've yet to win a playoff game.

Took till my 4th season to reach the play offs. Went 16-0 and crashed out in the AFC game. First game of my next season I took apart the Colts 46-0. Play offs are definitely harder than the regular season

Went 9-6-1 last season. Started off 2-5. Needed to beat Chargers in the last game of the season to win AFC West. Lost to them but then had the luck to end up facing them again in the Wild Card game. Beat Baltimore in the divisional. Hammered the Pats in the AFC game - it brings as much satisfaction as you'd think - after they had gone 15-1 and then beat the Eagles in the Retro Bowl.

Mistakenly tried to build up first round picks for the draft but there was bugger all as good as what I replaced. Though I didn't want to pay anyone over 30million a year anyway so that RB had to get cut.

There'll be someone in Free Agency. Hopefully.

But my 2nd year Retro Bowl victory record seems to be a thing. Here's hoping I'm not a Davy Fitz/Mourinho type. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,956 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Won the RetroBowl in season 4, after 13-3 record. Got lucky in the draft and hit on a great WR, who managed a paltry 2950yds W/ 42 TDs that season.

Biggest pet peeve is having a breakaway catch by a WR, only to get scragged on the 1yd line after being 10yds clear to start. Lost a few games like that.

Won the RetroBowl in season 4, after 13-3 record. Got lucky in the draft and hit on a great WR, who managed a paltry 2950yds W/ 42 TDs that season.

Biggest pet peeve is having a breakaway catch by a WR, only to get scragged on the 1yd line after being 10yds clear to start. Lost a few games like that.

Stamina effects how quickly you slow down. You end up walking in mud pretty quickly especially with low stamina. To be fair it is far too easy to get a break away run with a fast WR. If I get a go route on my star receiver I will be picking up a big gain guaranteed.

Haha, it is the most frustrating thing ever.... Especially when you see it's the end of the half and you won't get another play if caught.

My star receiver is great but I once saw a defender make up 15 yards on him, despite falling down twice....

• Advertisement

Won the bowl with ease with the jets in season 2. Offered and took cleveland. Gona give it a few days before i go back into it again. Binge playing will ruin the game 🀣

Advertisement