Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Metal Detecting Debate. Keep all your MD questions and querys here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Jakub25

More informations about illegal hobby.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2009/1003/1224255768813.html

"Kelly points to the fact that the terrain for archaeological finds in the UK is different to Ireland, where artefacts can often turn up in fields or non-archaeological sites. The law in Ireland may be stringent, but he argues that many European countries are putting similar measures in place. The current legislation is to protect Ireland’s heritage, not hinder it, he argues. “The bottom line here is that if you dig out a find from a site, you destroy part of the heritage of Ireland. Almost no finds of any archaeological significance were ever found in Ireland other than on archaeological sites. This notion that we are missing out in not allowing the public able walk across a ploughed field with a metal detector in hand is nonsense.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/index.php

British Database of finds that were turned in :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Jakub25

Here is another one.

http://www.findsdatabase....n=0&expand=200,

Do archeologists make a excavations at coasts of rivers?
    I think it is imposssible because tide will destroy everything.

Archeologists should check Liffey in central Dublin and
    check stratigraphy, context and integrity of everything what is in mud.

Here is what you may find in those places.

http://www.thamesandfield2.piczo.com/?cr=2

I think that Museum of London is very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 RozDev

Grimes wrote: »
    There will be no co-opperation as detactorists do not seem to grasp the concept of stratigraphy and contextualisation coupled with the fact that they do not seem to grasp the notion that they are damaging a site by removing metalic features. Sigh. However the practice of treasure hunting is widespread in Ireland.

It may progress to the english situation where NMI are forced to set up shop close to lines of people doing systamatic MD scans of the landscape requesting that people please come and show what they have taken so it can at least be documented.

There is alot more to archaeology than shiny things, hence the reason when they are rarely used.

The ignorance of people on that treasurenet forum is amazing.Ive seen more logical debates on stormfront

That is an unbelievably 'anti' detectorist stance you are taking there!
    What about all the good finds that have been acurately reported and saved from certain destructing by the plough by various metal detectorists over the years?

Not everyone who owns a detector is irresponsible, I happen to have been a chairman, finds officer, and treasurer over the years of a very large and prominent uk detecting club and during that time we as a club forged some excellent links with local and national archaeologists.

I have finds in the British museum, and I have witnessed everything from bronze age axe heads being recovered to engagement rings lost during gardening, it's not all about the shiney objects your are right, but I believe that a significant amount of history can be determined by detector finds without having to commission full scale archaelogical excavations.

I think the 1987 treasure act here is a gross infringment on the hobby, and one that was hurriedly rushed through by the Archaelogical Community without to much consdieration for anyone else.

What about the recent gold hoard found in Staffordshire? Archs are calling it more signifincant than Sutton Hoo!

It would have still remained undiscovered if it wasn't for a detectorist..sigh... you arcs really need to get over yourselves and embrace the opportunities working with the detecting community can offer.

Jakub25 wrote: »
    Here is another one.

http://www.findsdatabase....n=0&expand=200,

Do archeologists make a excavations at coasts of rivers?
    I think it is imposssible because tide will destroy everything.

Archeologists should check Liffey in central Dublin and
    check stratigraphy, context and integrity of everything what is in mud.

Here is what you may find in those places.

http://www.thamesandfield2.piczo.com/?cr=2

I think that Museum of London is very happy.

Actually anyone can do this, you can apply for a £6 day permit from the London Thames Harbour Master at the Port of London Authority, and off you go! http://www.ncmd.co.uk/docs/pla%20permit.pdf

You have to be very careful with the tides and follow them out and then back in, but it is a great day out, if you can get over the smell of black mud, and the constant risk of infectioni from the amount of pollution both on the riverbank and in the mud.

In one day the fourteen detectorists i was with found over 30 medieval artifacts and coins. If you are going to go over and give it a bash, look out for something called the Richmond Draw, it happens twice a year and it is when the river level drops a further 15-20 feet due to the locks being activate at Richmond.

Well worth a go anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I would consider those stating that there is an 'anti-detecting' approach should re-consider when in fact it could be said this this statement (and hobby) might in turn be considered 'anti-archaeolgy'. When excavation takes place in this country it is considered as a scientific excavation with guidelines that must be approached and adhered here to. Can/would every metal detect enthusiast follow and adhere to this? Unfortunately no and therefore the damage that could 'possibly' done to the archaeological context cannot be risked. Archaeology and the approach to it in this country is already a mess and while the immediate finds found through detecting would be adventurous and exciting they would probably diminish an accurate context of Irish archaeology in the long run.

I would consider those stating that there is an 'anti-detecting' approach should re-consider when in fact it could be said this this statement (and hobby) might in turn be considered 'anti-archaeolgy'. When excavation takes place in this country it is considered as a scientific excavation with guidelines that must be approached and adhered here to. Can/would every metal detect enthusiast follow and adhere to this? Unfortunately no and therefore the damage that could 'possibly' done to the archaeological context cannot be risked. Archaeology and the approach to it in this country is already a mess and while the immediate finds found through detecting would be adventurous and exciting they would probably diminish an accurate context of Irish archaeology in the long run.

No doubt, a professional at any chosen subject would hopefully do a better job than a hobbist, but I find it really hard to accept that you would rather have a find rot away to nothing or be irretievably damaged by plouging, far beyond any contextual use, that than have it excavated out of context?

Metal detectorists do not dig 1 meter deep slit trenches, and certanly do not use plant machinery in their excavations, max depth of the most powerful hobby detector our there is approx 24" on a good day with a nice big flat object (like a plough tip!).

Most commonly used tool - a Hand Trowel! Exactly how much damage can 1 person do on a 40 acre field with crops in it, with a hand trowel?

Certainly there have been instances in the UK of site 'looting' but criminals are criminals and this type of practise is definately reported if discovered for the harm it can do anyone in this hobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 detectorist

Hello everybody,
    first of all sorry for my bad english. I read a lot of interesting post and article and of course the Act. But I never found answer for my question.
    Can I use a metal detector on the beach or riverside?
    /not on archaeological sites and fields/
    I don't want to search for archaeological artefacts!!! I know unfortunately in Ireland it's illegal and I don't want trouble.
    I spoken with a gardai and he told to me no problem to use an md on the beach. But I would like a confirmation because I don't want to go to search as a man who do illegal things. I would not be able to enjoy it.
    I think that everybody knows what I talk about.
    In my country I was a serious detectorist and I wouldn't like to finish the MD. I miss the detecting in the fresh air!! :(
    In my country I was in good friendship some museum's directors and a lots of history lover people.

Anyway this is a beautiful hobby and this is the truth.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Barker

Can I use a metal detector on the beach or riverside?
    /not on archaeological sites and fields/
    I don't want to search for archaeological artefacts!!! I know unfortunately in Ireland it's illegal and I don't want trouble.
    I spoken with a gardai and he told to me no problem to use an md on the beach.

There is an important piece of information missing in this discussion, in Section 2 (6). Unless you have been licenced, there is a presumption that you are breaking the law - unless you can prove the contrary. I wouldn't fancy my chances in court.

To attempt ot answer some of Jakub's original questions,
    I'm no expert, but the effectiveness of metal detectors in urban areas can be quite minimal, especially on development sites where the top layers, if not concrete, will comprise an inordinate amount of metal junk from the last century or so. Where there are archaeological sites, layers and features in urban areas, their depths are often measured to several metres. Metal detectors have a penetration of a few centimetres (what are the expensive ones capable of? .. maybe 15-20cm?), as these archaeological features will be excavated in open-area, by hand, there is very little chance that finds, metal or not, will be misssed - as with any method.

Where it is thought by archaeologists that a metal detector would be of benefit, a licence will be applied for by the qualified archaeologist and a method statement submitted, and if the archaeologists in the DoEHLG agree, they'll issue a licence for its use. In short they get used if they are going to be of use.

Archaeological sites are not all known by a long shot, and thats why archaeologists are brought in to find previously unidentified sites in destructive development programmes. So there is little recourse, under the legislation, of you claiming you are not near an archaeological site. You might be. This might even extend to beaches unless you can prove there is previous disturbance that has removed any traces of archaeological artefacts, but you might get away with it.

Don't trust the Gardai for advice, although you are right to ask. If you ended up in court because you were in the wrong place you would be prosecuted by the DoEHLG, not an archaeologically unaware gardai, and would have to make your case against lawyers.

The main reason why the law came into place in Ireland was to protect the heritage from people who were trying to claim it as "their own". It's a good question why is different in the UK. Firstly, I think, its because by 1987 metal detectoring was more established in the UK as a practice.
    Secondly, when MDs were invented the UK legislation didn't offer as much protection to archaeological sites as Irish legislation did (and does).
    Thirdly, some famous cases of farmers in Ireland asking for more money for finding what they considered as "their treasure" from the museum, lead to a perceived need to protect the heritage from the greedy. I might also add that I believe, very generally speaking of course, that people in Ireland have a different view of ownership of land to the British.

I'm reminded of a quote from Crocodile Dundee:
    "So arguing over who owns them is like two fleas arguing over who owns the dog they live on".

I believe you should be able to use them on beaches, when you're looking for money dropped by bathers etc. I believe that MDs would be most profitable in the snow at bus stops. The number of times I have found change that no-one had heard dropping...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

They should make Touching An Artifact a crime too.

Unless you have a certified archiologist within 12 feet.

• Advertisement

Interesting point. Personally why would you want to touch one? Would it be the same touching a replica? Something that looked like it, smelt like it, felt like it?

Don't think so. To me, the sense of awe you get from seeing, leave alone touching, an artefact comes from the knowledge that someone you will never know created it. Hundreds, even thousands of years ago. That it had a purpose, and depending on the artefact you might even have a good idea what that purpose was. Maybe you won't - some things are left entirely to the imagination.

But mostly it comes from the image you get of somebody throwing it away, or losing it in the bog, it dropping between the floor boards. They have gone along time ago, yet this thing remains. Its not the only thing though. Thats why I like archaeology. That thing is one part of a much bigger picture.

You can take all the metal bits out if you like. Show em off. Get some little sense of wonder at the little artefacts and perhaps remain happily ignorant of the rest of the artefacts you didn't pick up on. Cos they aint metal, and you couldn't find em. An excavation reveals all those little details that tell you - from some rather insignificant stains in the soil - there were three wooden houses here 3,500 years ago, that they liked to eat sheep, raised cows too. Were still using tiny flint tools to scrape hides and tip their arrows for hunting alongside a quite developed bronze axe technology.

With metal detecting you just find an axe - not the shallow pit it was buried in at the back of the house. You don't know there was a house there for it to be at the back of. You don't wonder why no-one came back for it - you tend to just think all these things were lost or thrown away. Sure, but maybe it doesn't matter - but then why would you be interested in artefacts in the first place?

The other thrill in metal detecting, of course, is nothing to do with having a sense of heritage, and comes from that feeling you get when you think you might strike it lucky. You have better odds playing the lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

This isnt a detectorists meet and greet so any posts made by people looking to find people in the east ect will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The problem with finds produced from Metal Detecting is that when they are handed into the museum or to archaeologists you have no idea of the context they were found in. In some cases you might be able to adequatly date the find or it may have become damaged because it wasn't properly removed and conserved. Chances the place of discovery would not have been properly recorded either.

And all that is of course assumung that person actually hands over the find or reports to the relevant body as is legally required.

And before anyone asks, yes I am an archaeologist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

The problem with finds produced from Metal Detecting is that when they are handed into the museum or to archaeologists you have no idea of the context they were found in. In some cases you might be able to adequatly date the find or it may have become damaged because it wasn't properly removed and conserved. Chances the place of discovery would not have been properly recorded either.

And all that is of course assumung that person actually hands over the find or reports to the relevant body as is legally required.

And before anyone asks, yes I am an archaeologist!

I agree 100% with this and I have on numerous occasions tried to explain this within the thread. As an archaeology student and someone who has been on different excavations, i find it extremely annoying when an artefact is taken from its site through this manner, but believe me its not worth arguing :(;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Does anybody else here have a problem with the current crop of Irish Metal Detecting Finds popping up on ebay.ie

The Aussie wrote: »
    Does anybody else here have a problem with the current crop of Irish Metal Detecting Finds popping up on ebay.ie

link?

Any irish finds i just seen on ebay were from sellers from the north

Yeah. Big time. No provenance, no recording of the artefacts so adds nothing to our knowledge of Irish prehistory. Value-less stuff on the whole so its pure destruction. May as well be robbing car tyres - at least they're useful and worth some money.

Fact is the dude is selling from Antrim, so outside of the Republics protective legislation. Unless he's caught metal detecting in the republic or bringing it back over the border (he's careful not to give a provenance for this stuff so he isn't saying he found it in the ROI) there's very little that can be done I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

link?

Not to much of a computer person sorry mate, if you go onto ebay.ie and search "Irish Metal Detecting Finds" if you know how please put it up for us.

Not to much of a computer person sorry mate, if you go onto ebay.ie and search "Irish Metal Detecting Finds" if you know how please put it up for us.

it's all northern ireland finds, not illegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Little My

http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=Irish+Metal+Detecting+Finds

???

No results....

I am not advocating the hobby, but making it illegal doesnt stop people doing it. It just stops them coming forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭RollYerOwn

There is nothing that is made illegal that stops people doing it. Murder, rape, stealing cars... However, making things illegal makes it much harder for people to do it.

In this case many sites in Ireland are protected as well as can be by people robbing the bejaysus out of them and flogging their little trophies for nothing on ebay. Hence the lack of finds from the ROI being flogged - because it would be illegal to do so. The comparison where there is no protection across the border is there to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Little My

RollYerOwn wrote: »
    There is nothing that is made illegal that stops people doing it. Murder, rape, stealing cars... However, making things illegal makes it much harder for people to do it.

Sorry to be pedantic, but the fact that murder is illegal doesnt actually make it harder to murder someone. Just means you can be tried for it in court.

Are you saying we don't go around murdering, raping and stealing because it is illegal and not because it is morally wrong?

If you dont think there is anything morally wrong with metal detectoring, the fact that it is illegal won't really stop you. You will just weigh up your chances of getting caught and decide whether it is worth the risk.

The same as everyone who indulges in any illegal activity, taking illegal substances, breaking the speed limit etc.

I personally think the use of metal detectors by hobbyists is wrong, but I don't think making it illegal is helpful. It just means people who do it won't come forward with finds and, as it is illegal, means that they will be more tempted to sell objects on the black market etc.

I'd like links to the objects you mention from Northern Ireland for sale on Ebay. I have searched as suggested above, and cannot find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I wouldnt draw a link between metal detecting and murder. I think everyones point of view is that murder is wrong but a vast majority of people out there wouldnt see anything morally wrong with taking discarded and disused pieces of doorhandles out of the ground where as archaeologists do as is a danger to their profession.

Obviously I'm not trying to make a link between murder and metal detecting. I'm refuting the point that making something (anything) illegal doesn't stop people from doing it. It does, or why would you pay taxes or pay for an overpriced pair of runners?

Little My, if you believe prescribing something as illegal doesn't have an impact on whether people do it or not, are you arguing that we should abolish all laws so that people will do the right thing morally? I'm pretty sure you are not, but in case you are, what happens when people's morals are in disagreement? Do we all do what we want?

Little My, the items I referred to were searched for on ebay several days/weeks ago, and are not there now. Obviously either sold or removed from auction due to lack of interest. Someone is Navan was selling a coin when I last checked which, if not found in the state, is not illegal to sell here, as far as I know.

We might maintain different arguments regarding whether the law works or not, but it SEEMS to given the plethora of UK artefacts up for grabs at tuppence for 10.

I think, Grimes, there is very little of the archaeological profession left with 85% of them out of work, the other 15% comprising mostly public servants/academics and the remaining small number of commercial archaeologists mostly having taken around 40% pay cuts.

However, its a rather moot point as the law was brought in before there was anything even resembling an archaeological profession in this country. The State has a long history of protecting its heritage, and rightly so.

I suppose it all depends on what value you place on things. Some people do not value history at all, so little point trying to argue with them for archaeological excavations to be carried out to learn about the past. Others just get annoyed when it gets in their way. I like to think of these people as "What's-In-It-For-me?" types.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We might maintain different arguments regarding whether the law works or not, but it SEEMS to given the plethora of UK artefacts up for grabs at tuppence for 10.
    I'd say its more likely that its gone underground or that potential is there. The worldwide antiquities market has a lot of that going on. Stuff then shows up with iffy or vague provenance years down the line. I've seen stuff described as Irish pop up on sites before(not so much ebay, more dealers or major auction houses). Quite a bit of viking stuff for some reason? Described as irish but from "old collections" or with no real provenance at all.

Quick google gave me this; http://www.ancients-uncovered.com/page_1210769337578.html

Look at the bottom two. Both "detected in Ireland" with the latter (Very nice) bracelet from an "old dublin collection detected in the 1950's". May be true, but how many had metal detectors in 50's dublin? From what Ive gathered its not really the dealers are the problem. By the time it gets to them its gone through many hands. It's like the large fake market.

EDIT through collecting old watches in the past I got to know a few UK based antique guys and they got antiquities the odd time. All very above board fellas too and they wouldnt touch anything that didnt have a paper trail, but one fella did tell me how much the dodgy stuff goes on, especially at the high end, not so much at the roman votive brooch end.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs,
    I don't disagree with the theory, but its hard to find evidence of an underground market in metal detecting in Ireland.

Quite simply, if somebody is seen operating a metal detector and reported to the Gardai, they're likely to be prosecuted, and there's some pretty hefty penalties. I can't see how it would be worth it given the general lack of metal finds of consequence in Ireland. There was never the whole Roman thing that generates the bulk of the finds from the UK and abroad, and Irish medieval centres including the few Viking ones are generally urban still (good luck to anyone bothering to metal detect in those environments!). Not discrediting the potential for hoards of value, but given that they were never reclaimed by their owners or others for a reason (couldn't locate again or they died with the knowledge of their location) it hardly seems worth the time investment and risk of prosecution.

Finds on archaeological excavations of known sites produce relatively few finds throughout Irish history and prehistory, but obviously where they occur they are very important in the context of that particular site (not so much anything else generally accepting finds typology).

The UK has a different history in terms of its real landscape history (lots of deserted medieval villages and Roman occupation) as well as its metal detecting history. I used to metal detect myself in the UK, when a kid. I think the policy of dealing with the existing problem there is a great move forward. To emulate it here though would be akin to giving everyone a disease then provide a cure for some of the worst symptoms.

I looked at your examples (thanks for the reference), and it strikes me that it is easy to claim something is Irish if it adds to the "rarity" value. Maybe it doesn't - just a thought.

As you point out yourself, if you don't have evidence of provenance, you'd be a fool to pay much cash for an item. The National Museum certainly wouldn't (I'd imagine).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wibbs,
    I don't disagree with the theory, but its hard to find evidence of an underground market in metal detecting in Ireland.
    True enough. Its always going to be difficult to ascertain the levels if any. People "in the trade" reckon there is some level of it though.
    Quite simply, if somebody is seen operating a metal detector and reported to the Gardai, they're likely to be prosecuted, and there's some pretty hefty penalties. I can't see how it would be worth it given the general lack of metal finds of consequence in Ireland.
    Me neither, but I have known a few people to metal detect and dig on their lands or relatives lands looking for stuff* and I wouldnt be from a rural background so Id imagine it may go on more than we think. Of course if they're looking for financial reward very very few would know how to go about doing that. TBH I'd say its more likely that there are finds stuffed in the bottoms of drawers in Ireland than any organised thing. The notion of "feck the government, what use are they and what thanks will I get?" would be an element too. I would somewhat understand that too. If I while say fishing, found a bronze celtic fragment, in the river, not in context, would I report it? TBH probably not. If a winter flood had exposed part of a site I defo would though. When I was a kid I collected fossils and got some very nice ones too(with as full a context description as I could muster, photos measurements etc). Nice enough to bring them to the natural history museum as a few were better examples than the museum had. The impression I got at the time was "you may as well keep them as the money isnt there to add them or mount them etc".
    There was never the whole Roman thing that generates the bulk of the finds from the UK and abroad, and Irish medieval centres including the few Viking ones are generally urban still
    Oh agreed. We ddint have the population centres or levels and Ireland was very decentralised, but we had enough "stuff" that the Vikings reckoned we were worth a punt and sea voyage to pillage, so I suspect there's more than a few ardagh chalice/monastic type finds out there, never mind the earlier celtic stuff. Plus as we've not had the kind of well funded and widespread scientific digging in Ireland compared to Britain I reckon there's a helluva lot of finds to be discovered.

The UK has a different history in terms of its real landscape history (lots of deserted medieval villages and Roman occupation) as well as its metal detecting history. I used to metal detect myself in the UK, when a kid. I think the policy of dealing with the existing problem there is a great move forward. To emulate it here though would be akin to giving everyone a disease then provide a cure for some of the worst symptoms.
    Yep a free for all would not be good. Maybe we would find more stuff than currently, but would run the risk of losing stuff and context. The balance would be hard to reach. Maybe go the middle path? Issue more licences, make it a requirement that the licencee undergoes training and is followed up afterward. "Flight plans" for sites vetted and approved. More volunteer "archaeologists" as it were.
    I looked at your examples (thanks for the reference), and it strikes me that it is easy to claim something is Irish if it adds to the "rarity" value. Maybe it doesn't - just a thought.
    Oh very possibly. I'd reckon though if there was an underground market, they'd likely state they were from anywhere but Ireland. Plus many private buyers dont give a hoot about provenance as such, so long as it looks like its probably genuine. eBay is stuffed full of fakes, never mind stuff with no paper trail. It used to be worse, but its not much better now. There are a lot of makers of fake antiquities, particularly in eastern europe and the middle east. There's a big market in antiquities out there. A much bigger one than 20 years ago where genuine stuff was actually quite cheap compared to the general antiques market. Where some poncy flowery 19th century plate was worth way more than an ancient Greek or pre Columbian plate/vase.

*the usual old nails, etc, but also some metal work. Musket balls, old coins, Norman strap ends kinda thing and part of a knife dagger were the bits I saw.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement