Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 407 Saloon

• 25-02-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently looking to buy a peugeot 407 1.6 hdi,either an 04 or an 05 as I have a max of €7,000 to pay.I do an average of 700kms a week.

Are they a good car to buy or what do yee think?

If not what car would you suggest for that kinda money.Everybody seems to be telling me to get a diesel.Is this correct or is the whole petrol v diesel thing a myth...

Your help in this matter would be appreciated as to be honest I havent a clue about cars.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Hi,

I am currently looking to buy a peugeot 407 1.6 hdi,either an 04 or an 05 as I have a max of €7,000 to pay.I do an average of 700kms a week.

Are they a good car to buy or what do yee think?

If not what car would you suggest for that kinda money.Everybody seems to be telling me to get a diesel.Is this correct or is the whole petrol v diesel thing a myth...

Your help in this matter would be appreciated as to be honest I havent a clue about cars.

Thanks

Don't go for the 407.

I find them horrible to drive, and the reliability isn't good on them once they get to high mileage. The engine is fairly good, but we had a good few on a fleet and practically every single one casued a lot of grief and big bills.

Look at the Mondeo. At 700k's per week you are certainly looking at diesel.

Try to find as new as possible with reasonable mileage and most importantly, a full service history. The 2.0Tdci 115ps is much better than the 90ps version.

Very little goes wrong with the Mondeo, except for the Dual Mass Flywheel around 100,000km.

If you can't find a decent Mondeo, look for an Octavia 1.9Tdi ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭The Don 1985

Thans for the advice.

The mondeo might not be an option though as I'm looking at a 1.6 engine as it is cheaper to tax.

What else is an option so 1.6diesels arent to plentiful or are they??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd say the difference between taxing a 1.6 and a 1.9/2.0 will probably be one of the smaller expenses to take into account if you're doing that kind of mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Row

The 407 1.6 hdi are fine only @80-100,000miles the diesel partical filter and
    the dual mass flywheel may need replacment which can lead into alot of money been spent...but these problems are common on most modern diesel today...:rolleyes:
    with the 1.6 hdi look for a fsh as regular oil changes on these are critical.

some helpful info here.. www.407owners.com/forums

You could go for 1.6 diesel focus,1.6 diesel mazda 3 ,new 1.6 citroen c5,
    but the share the same engine...:)
    otherwise renault have the 1.5 dci..nothing else i can think of atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Thans for the advice.

The mondeo might not be an option though as I'm looking at a 1.6 engine as it is cheaper to tax.

The only other option in that size of vehicle, for that budget would be a Citroen C5. At that age, imagine the 407 put together by the blind - the morning after their Christmas p1ss up.

Other cars with that engine are the class below. Might be big enough, depends on your requirements.

Mazda 3
    Volvo S40 / V50
    Ford Focus
    Citroen C4
    Peugeot 307

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,062 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thans for the advice.

There is a only difference of €167 between the two over a year though. If doing alot of miles then the larger engine will do that more comfortably as it will have to work less.

Advertisement