Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Time to call out the horse racing industry

• 27-03-2020 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭

From the toff's flaunting their conspicuous consumption to the ethnic minorities flaunting animal cruelty and road laws, the whole thing reeks of self entitlement and arrogance.
    The current Cheltenham festival being an example of this arrogance. I have no doubt that it will be proven to be a major cause of the Corona virus spread here.
    Then of course there's numerous moral issues from gambling to animal cruelty.

🙈🙉🙊

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

so its gay?

knew it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

It would be a hard fight.

That crowd is very influential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The whole Cheltenham thing was ridiculous. Hero Harris coming out and saying people who came back from it wouldn't need to self-isolate. How quickly things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

"ethnic minorities flaunting animal cruelty and road laws..."

And this has what exactly to do with the horse racing industry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Antwashere1

Cheltenham is a great sporting occasion, Irish horses are the best in the world. Part of Irish culture.

I'd be looking at the people who went to northern Italy in February, they almost certainly brought back the disease in large numbers.
    Groups going to ski when the virus was well established.
    Much more damaging than Cheltenham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Cheltenham is a great sporting occasion, Irish horses are the best in the world. Part of Irish culture.

I'd be looking at the people who went to northern Italy in February, they almost certainly brought back the disease in large numbers.
    Groups going to ski when the virus was well established.
    Much more damaging than Cheltenham.

That word right there boils my piss. The OP had it right in his title. It's an industry, not a sport.

If you take away the gambling aspect from horse-racing it dies, completely, right then and there. Extinct.

If you take gambling away from actual sports like football, hurling, rugby etc they would all survive.

Horse-racing fans like to tell themselves it's a noble sport. It is the furthest thing from noble. It's a grubby past-time built on a mountain of betting dockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Horse racing and equestrian sports employs several thousand people in this country, both directly and indirectly. They are also ‘money people’. So let it be no surprise that FG and more besides gave them a hall pass.

It’s a terrible indictment on this government and the people in the horse racing industry that it was not stopped. Though a very limited experience in direct relation to horses and their industries ... what I did experience was those types of people putting the wellbeing of horses and their potential to earn...yards ahead of the wellbeing of their staff and the people they contracted (my former employer) me and colleagues. Even on one occasion the safety of an aircraft when the vet and his groom got heavy handed with a captain who refused to carry an animal due to it behavior (kicking fûck out of their stable on the aircraft)... the attitude and subsequent email correspondence led to the company ceasing all transportation of horses. I had many face to face dealings, just not nice people, motivated by cash more than sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

J. Marston wrote: »
    That word right there boils my piss. The OP had it right in his title. It's an industry, not a sport.
    If you take away the gambling aspect from horse-racing it dies, completely, right then and there. Extinct.
    If you take gambling away from actual sports like football, hurling, rugby etc they would all survive.
    Horse-racing fans like to tell themselves it's a noble sport. It is the furthest thing from noble. It's a grubby past-time built on a mountain of betting dockets.
    Biggest betting events
    Soccer World Cup: $136 billion was wagered throughout the tournament, including $7.2 billion alone on the final match between France and Croatia.
    American football Superbowl $6.8 billion
    NCAA March madness (look it up) $8.5 billion
    Kentucky Derby 2019 horse racing $250.9 million
    Boxing Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor fight in 2017 over $100 million
    World Series baseball $1.1 billion

I don't have figures for hurling gambling as it is only played in a few counties in a small country.
    It looks like soccer is the sport built on a mountain of betting dockets, but let's not do any research.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Time to call out the horse racing industry

HORSE RACING INDUSTRY. OIII!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Biggest betting events
    Soccer World Cup: $136 billion was wagered throughout the tournament, including $7.2 billion alone on the final match between France and Croatia.

I don't have figures for hurling gambling as it is only played in a few counties in a small country.
    It looks like soccer is the sport built on a mountain of betting dockets, but let's not do any research.

Try not to look at individual events.

Yes the world cup generated a lot of gambling but only since the arrival of online betting has soccer become a popular sport to bed on.
    The sport a as popular in its own right for decades.

Betting on racing has been going on for centuries, and racing is totally reliant on gambling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Biggest betting events

The difference with human-only pursuits is that they all participate of their own free will. I doubt many foals or fillies dream of getting a bullet in the head after they break a leg falling at Aintree.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,259 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Can never understand why betting companies, and punters aren't heavily taxed. It's a luxury. It used to cost 10% on a pound to bet. It should be that again or even more. Say that as someone who likes a bet on the soccer every so often.

They had a PR disaster during this crisis anyway, that's for sure.

Agree with poster above, Horse Racing would collapse without gambling.

As an industry they employ a lot of people and it’s worth over a year a lot to the Irish economy. According to an article in the examiner back in 2017 the horse racing industry is worth over 1.8 billion euro to the Irish economy...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/racing-industry-worth-over-18bn-to-economy-report-458568.html

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

From the toff's flaunting their conspicuous consumption to the ethnic minorities flaunting animal cruelty and road laws, the whole thing reeks of self entitlement and arrogance.
    The current Cheltenham festival being an example of this arrogance. I have no doubt that it will be proven to be a major cause of the Corona virus spread here.

The VAST majority of Irish people attending Cheltenham each year are neither toffs nor ethnic minorities, they are actually pretty average, ordinary people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The difference with human-only pursuits is that they all participate of their own free will. I doubt many foals or fillies dream of getting a bullet in the head after they break a leg falling at Aintree.

It can be a dangerous pursuit, thats without question. But i suppose the alternative for horses of dreaming of a bullet in the head - if such a thing is possible - is dreaming of never being born, because racing is the sole reason for their existence in the first place. Its not as if they are being deprived from blissful lives roaming the savannahs of cork or kerry or wherever.

It can be a dangerous pursuit, thats without question. But i suppose the alternative for horses of dreaming of a bullet in the head - if such a thing is possible - is dreaming of never being born, because racing is the sole reason for their existence in the first place. Its not as if they are being deprived from blissful lives roaming the savannahs of cork or kerry or wherever.

Well if you don't exist you can't dream of not being born.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,229 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I think the main point is being lost here. It's vitally important that we nominate an easily identifiable group of people to blame for this virulent global pandemic entering our open and easily accessible country from one of the many countries from which people travel to here. We need somebody to point and shout at.

I'm going with philatelists. ****.

endacl wrote: »
    I think the main point is being lost here. It's vitally important that we nominate an easily identifiable group of people to blame for this virulent global pandemic entering our open and easily accessible country from one of the many countries from which people travel to here. We need somebody to point and shout at.

I'm going with philatelists. ****.

Lickers more than **** in fairness.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Shows how stupid you are if you think it's made up of toffs and ethnic minorities you absolute moron. I agree with the point behind what your saying by the way. Idiots that went to cheltenham brought it back in their droves. But horse racing is absolutely nothing like you described it. Thats the equivalent of describing football as full of murdering, thieving liverpool fans. Generalisations on a mass scale.

You think they get shot in the dead? Therefore, your opinion is invalid.

I'm going to strap on my red converse, dye my hair purple and march down to the GPO the next time a character on fair city gets killed, then.

• Advertisement

If you tell people who like traveling, people who go away to Old Trafford, Anfield, Celtic Park... for football, people going to The Shepherds Bush Empire to watch their favorite band and a boozy weekend in London or shopping and wine in Milan that they can’t travel or shouldn’t due to a global pandemic that could or WILL rock the health and wellbeing of the country and it’s people to its very foundations... all of the above will say.. “ok, let’s batten down the hatches and stay put”... you have the horsey gang with that insatiable desire for money and success of a different kind and because they want to see a fückin horse run and that thrill of a win and lust for a heavier pocket they prefer to risk the health and wellbeing of the nation... let’s not forget it friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

The shocking treatment of animals by the Chinese caused this virus. Wild animals in cages, slaughtered meat market in the same area.
    It's fine to turn a blind eye until it affects us apparently but you can't turn a blind eye any longer. This mis-treatment of animals and sheer contempt for our animals is what has caused this crisis and there will inevitably be another one because we have zero respect for animals. We scoff at the Chinese but its ok for fox hunting and hare coursing here, greyhounds getting their ears cut off and dumped, not that I know much about what goes on in horse racing.
    If we dont respect nature then nature wont respect us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Horses are usually regarded or spoken of as noble animals but the racing industry they are enslaved to just like the greyhound racing industry as we have seen, has nothing noble about it.
    Over breeding, horses that don't make the cut and horses past their prime incur 'wastage', unjustifiable expenses. Without enough sanctuaries available many receive a bolt in the side of the head ( or as documented in Australia with video, a shotgun through the eye (separated from the next in line by a rusty metal panel ) ) to ready them for the meat industry. They are naturally flighty animals and this 'procedure' isn't always easy!
    If they're lucky
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/emaciated-ex-racehorse-dumped-in-a-field-left-to-die-finds-new-home-1379358-Mar2014/%3famp=1

-The ISPCA is asking the people who care about horses to please donate €4 or make a monthly gift of €4 on which will help buy a bale of hay and feed a neglected equine just like Forest to enable the ISPCA to continue rescuing, rehabilitating and rehoming the large number of animals who are in urgent need of care.-

https://www.ispca.ie/donate/once_off

You think they get shot in the dead? Therefore, your opinion is invalid.

I'm going to strap on my red converse, dye my hair purple and march down to the GPO the next time a character on fair city gets killed, then.

No, the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

A horse doesn't want you or your stupid saddle on their back!

I don't care how many people try to tell me otherwise, no animal wants to be used by you as a mode of transport or a fun play thing to be exploited.

They are powerful but gentle animals... so they can and do endure a lot of punishment.

Anyone who says they love horses, but then puts a saddle on them and jumps up on their back... you are a hypocrite and phoney!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,272 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Strumms wrote: »
    Horse racing and equestrian sports employs several thousand people in this country, both directly and indirectly. They are also ‘money people’. So let it be no surprise that FG and more besides gave them a hall pass.

It’s a terrible indictment on this government and the people in the horse racing industry that it was not stopped.

Every other sport shut down, and yet horse racing persisted in having meetings behind closed doors to keep the gambling industry happy. I have no particular issue with gambling, but let's not kid ourselves, only a handful of people would be arsed watching horse or dog racing if they couldn't bet on it. And you're right, the government must carry a lot of the blame for allowing them to continue as long as they did. And similarly the British government should be ashamed of themselves for allowing Cheltenham to go ahead. This was even after a confirmed case was identified in the town itself. I sincerely hope that we don't live to regret their (in)decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭SeanW

Not a particular fan of horse racing myself but I think some of the criticism on here is a little over the top.

Firstly, horse racing isn't just a Western/gambling thing, horse racing exists as a sport in the Middle East and those guys aren't exactly known for liking a bet.
    A simple Google/DuckDuckGo search for "Horse Racing in the Middle East" shows things like this:
    http://waleg.com/featured/a-history-of-horse-racing-in-the-middle-east/

As to the Coronavirus specifically, yes, anyone with an ounce of cop on should have realised that the Wuhan virus was a serious danger. But they were hardly the only ones, the need to lock things down etc only became clear to everyone in the last few weeks.

Meanwhile the Chinese Communist Party knew full well the danger in December when labs were warning them of a new virus, spreading from human-to-human, starting from Wuhan. The CCP responded by telling the lab to stop testing, destroy the samples and cover the whole thing up. They then continued to permit travel both internally from Wuhan - especially with the Chinese New Year - and internationally, allowing the virus to spread from the PRC to the rest of the world. Well into 2020 the World Health Organisation was telling countries not to block travel to/from China, possibly because it has a questionable association with China and the CCP. Mainstream media in the West was more worried about President Trump calling it "the Chinese virus" than the actual danger itself with many outlets comparing Covid-19 with the flu as late as the end of January.

As late as the 2nd of March, the Mayor of New York was encouraging people to go out and congregate. https://twitter.com/BilldeBlasio/status/1234648718714036229
    And he wasn't alone there. Now New York is a hotbed of the Chinese Coronavirus and the media is blaming Orange Man for the situation in New York, in between scolding people for calling - correctly - the Chinese or Wuhan virus.

So yes, the horsey set should have used their heads and skipped Cheltenham this year. But this would have been bad regardless.

^^^Sean that was an impressive segue from the ethics of horse racing into a conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭SeanW

Blaming the people who went to Cheltenham - beyond a certain point - is ridiculous. They should have skipped it this year, but their failure to do so (while unhelpful) was not decisive, Ireland would have been involved in the Wuhan virus pandemic anyway. As for a wide variety of others failing to comprehend the danger until recently, that's not tin-foil hat nonsense but fact.

So is assuming that horse racing only exists for gambling, as at least one poster above did. It doesn't. Horse racing exists in plenty of places where gambling is frowned on or prohibited.

• Advertisement

SeanW wrote: »
    Not a particular fan of horse racing myself but I think some of the criticism on here is a little over the top.

Firstly, horse racing isn't just a Western/gambling thing, horse racing exists as a sport in the Middle East and those guys aren't exactly known for liking a bet.
    A simple Google/DuckDuckGo search for "Horse Racing in the Middle East" shows things like this:
    http://waleg.com/featured/a-history-of-horse-racing-in-the-middle-east/

As to the Coronavirus specifically, yes, anyone with an ounce of cop on should have realised that the Wuhan virus was a serious danger. But they were hardly the only ones, the need to lock things down etc only became clear to everyone in the last few weeks.

Meanwhile the Chinese Communist Party knew full well the danger in December when labs were warning them of a new virus, spreading from human-to-human, starting from Wuhan. The CCP responded by telling the lab to stop testing, destroy the samples and cover the whole thing up. They then continued to permit travel both internally from Wuhan - especially with the Chinese New Year - and internationally, allowing the virus to spread from the PRC to the rest of the world. Well into 2020 the World Health Organisation was telling countries not to block travel to/from China, possibly because it has a questionable association with China and the CCP. Mainstream media in the West was more worried about President Trump calling it "the Chinese virus" than the actual danger itself with many outlets comparing Covid-19 with the flu as late as the end of January.

As late as the 2nd of March, the Mayor of New York was encouraging people to go out and congregate. https://twitter.com/BilldeBlasio/status/1234648718714036229
    And he wasn't alone there. Now New York is a hotbed of the Chinese Coronavirus and the media is blaming Orange Man for the situation in New York, in between scolding people for calling - correctly - the Chinese or Wuhan virus.

So yes, the horsey set should have used their heads and skipped Cheltenham this year. But this would have been bad regardless.

Spot on. You're a racist though in many eyes for saying that a virus that originated in China is Chinas fault.

Advertisement