Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help Base Slab for a Shed 10x12

Options
  • 26-03-2020 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have to do a base for the shed that I ordered, measurement of the shed is 10x12.

€4.99 per paving 40cmx40cm at woodies
    I need about 72 paving total of €360

Will it be cheaper to just pour a concrete slab.

I have never done this before how many bags of cement do I need?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wooden shed?

Blocks on the flat directly on grass will do it. No need to pave. You could lay some crushed stone if you really want.

Metal shed I think it needs to be a concrete slab since the shed is actually fixed to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Don't know the cost or requirements for poured concrete slab.
    But, if going for paving, I'd bypass Woodies in favour of a building supplies retailer for paving a lot cheaper than €5 each!
    Don't know where you are based...
    http://www.smithsbuildingsupplies.com/CatalogueRetrieve.aspx?ProductID=10079211&A=SearchResult&SearchID=1644076&ObjectID=10079211&ObjectType=27

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

I am based in Drogheda - wogans nearby - don't know if they are cheaper.

It is a metal shed 10 x 12 - I think I need either paving base, I have read around and I think concrete slab are more expensive than paving.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

With metal sheds it depends on the company. Some say Concrete base is needed whereas others say theirs don't need base. Many of them have local contacts who'll quote you for a base too so probably no harm checking that out.

If the company you're buying from say a concrete base is unnecessary and you're trying to go cheap and easy then pavers are definitely that. Don't think you'd need 72 though as you don't need full coverage, by my maths you'd only need about 32 - 40 depending on how far apart you want to space them and you don't need anything pricey seeing as they'll be mostly hidden.

Another consideration is what you'll be storing in it. If it's just general garden tools light stuff you'll be fine but you'd need to really consider what's under the slabs if you're putting heavier stuff in it.

You want roughly level ground underneath and anything that's not too spongy.

Personally, I've done it recently and went belt and braces on the base (compacted 804 hardcore etc.) but the installers were surprised as they mostly just chuck them down on pavers.

Advertisement