Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House extension during COVID

Options
  • 25-03-2020 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm due a 20sqm extension to start on Monday - total time about 8 weeks.

Not 100% sure about doing it during COVID as worry the builder may start something he cannot finish and ill end up with a building site at back of house for months.

Any thoughts? I'm due to call him tomorrow to check in.....

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No chance of building sites stopping in my opinion.
    Only problem is maintaining social distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

As well as the bug issue, if he looks for wad of cash to start with and then does a runner, for what ever reason, he could go bust before the economy gets back in 2021/22

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Gumbo wrote: »
    No chance of building sites stopping in my opinion.
    Only problem is maintaining social distance.

Not sure I agree. Lots of sites are reducing capacity and people on site. While they may not technically close an 8 week project will turn into 12 or 16 week.

Then you've the issue of materials. Sure a builders merchant might be open but we've now getting low on steel and the UK is almost out of vinyl floor covering (this is a huge issue for all the emergency hospital prefabs getting built). Then you've the delivery of materials? Has anyone else tried to order Spanish slates in a lockdown?

I personally wouldn't start anything that's private. On the public sector side I've clients screaming at me to push on with projects as they all know funding is going to get a massive cut. If some school was planning a refurb during the summer holiday that funding might not be available now.

I really wouldn't pay for anything upfront either as Calahonda52 said, I can see some contractors going bust down the line.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I’d talk with the builder.

For example if duration is a concern what can be put in place to manage that ?

Maybe paying for container to store majority of materials up front could be considered. Maybe you front load material payment once materials are delivered to site?

Maybe that builder and his subbies will be quiet over the coming weeks? Maybe good social distancing practices could be put in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭mountai

Anyone who pays money up front for ANY extension is a fool . " A fool and his money are easily parted "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

We are almost at the end of an 11 month renovation / build and my advice would be to consider this carefully and can you live with a drawn out project or perhaps a stop in the middle.

We are putting in final finishes now and are using many friends to complete (carpenter + sparks). THere are only a few lads on site so they are watching the social distance but they are telling me some lads are walking off other jobs beause some houses are crammed with multiple trades.

I know that some supply chains are disrupted so this may impact you ability to get materials more so than the labour.

If it was me, I would wait as there are just too many unknowns coming down the line. My builder is adamant there will be some curtailment in the construction industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭zachler

I understood that home renovations were considered non-essential and would now be closed down. However, my neighbours have three vanloads of builders working away in very close proximity this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

zachler wrote: »
    I understood that home renovations were considered non-essential and would now be closed down. However, my neighbours have three vanloads of builders working away in very close proximity this morning.

Building sites are closed. However an exemption is in place until 6pm this evening I believe to allow closing or finish up. On a construction site this could involve removing scaffolding, enhancing hoarding, removing tools or equipment, etc all which will leave the site safer and more secure at it might be closed for a few weeks. On an extension like you're neighbours this could involve constructing a temporary wall or other works to keep out wind and rain, making electrical or sewerage safe, etc. if the owners are continuing to live in the property.

Tomorrow if they're still there you can call the police. If they're still genuinely trying to make it safe and secure for the people still living there the police may allow them to continue construction.

Some construction sites which are essential will remain open throughout the lockdown but a domestic extension wouldn't be such a project.

Advertisement