Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spain in July

Options
  • 24-03-2020 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Group of us supposed to be travelling to Ibiza the start of July.

Should we start thinking about abandoning the trip? Cant imagine Spain will be in a good state the start of July or if travel will even be allowed.

We have to pay the balance in 2 weeks so just want peoples projections of the chance of everything being back to somewhat normal in Spain/Ireland by 1st July?

Thanks guys! Hope ye are all staying safe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

We're booked on for France on July 1st for 2 weeks.
    Would be very surprised if if goes ahead

In honesty I think we'll be camping in the back garden at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Hi all,

Group of us supposed to be travelling to Ibiza the start of July.

Should we start thinking about abandoning the trip? Cant imagine Spain will be in a good state the start of July or if travel will even be allowed.

We have to pay the balance in 2 weeks so just want peoples projections of the chance of everything being back to somewhat normal in Spain/Ireland by 1st July?

Thanks guys! Hope ye are all staying safe.

Why risk it? Spain is in a bad way. We are only at the start of it here in Ireland. I would forget about it for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Why risk it? Spain is in a bad way. We are only at the stsrt of it here in Ireland. I would forget about it for this year.
    Would agree with this poster, can't see how you would enjoy a holiday anywhere this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Why risk it? Spain is in a bad way. We are only at the stsrt of it here in Ireland. I would forget about it for this year.
    Would agree with this poster, can't see how you would enjoy a holiday anywhere this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Lads,
    Any views on Lanzarote in July? Not really bothered at this stage tbh but Villa has to be paid for in full in May. 2500 so really want to avoid losing hat Money.

Will probably lose flights with Ryanair but what can ye do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Lads,
    Any views on Lanzarote in July? Not really bothered at this stage tbh but Villa has to be paid for in full in May. 2500 so really want to avoid losing hat Money.

Forget about holiday this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We’re booked to Italy in July and even if travel restrictions are lifted we won’t travel. Cancelled the Airbnb last week.

There is a risk that even when things clear up any of these hot spots could see a sudden resurgence of the virus and I’m Not taking that risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lads,

It's done

Thanks all had assumed as much. Hopefully Ryan air will either cancel flights or let us transfer them for a few. Will keep you updated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I booked a two week holiday with Budget Travel to Spain mid July, everything was paid in full early January. I am really hoping they will issue a full refund when the time comes as I do not in any way feel safe about travelling to Spain this summer. Even if everything is clear in August, I wouldn't feel safe moving the holiday to September and after that there isn't much point with poorer weather and colder temperatures.

I had a look at budget travel's website and they are mainly dealing with customers who are stuck abroad with no flights home. They also mention that possible refunds or change of time may happen to holidays over the next few weeks, they say refunds could take 12 to 16 weeks!

If I was to change times, I would change it to next summer at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Keep paying balance, don't cancel anything or you won't get a refund.

Keep the assumption that it'll go ahead, so you're covered if the company are forced to cancel.

I'd say you will be fine to go in July. Fingers crossed.

Keep paying balance, don't cancel anything or you won't get a refund.

Keep the assumption that it'll go ahead, so you're covered if the company are forced to cancel.

I'd say you will be fine to go in July. Fingers crossed.

Cant see how we will be good to go in July. Maybe flights will go and hotels villas etc will take bookings and be open but to hell with that. Way to risky with how Spain handled this whole thing tbh. Cant see many responsible people going to spain or their islands this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭billyhead

I have a trip booked to Galicia in September and expect to travel. Will be staying in guest houses.

billyhead wrote: »
    I have a trip booked to Galicia in September and expect to travel. Will be staying in guest houses.

The best part of 5.5 months away to be fair. Im pretty certain if i pay the 2.5k for the villa there is no getting it back unless the villa owner cancels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

One things for certain, there's going to be an awful lot of water under the bridge between now and July and things will be completely different.

People in Spain are in total lock-down at the moment. They're going to be crying out for people to visit their country and to take advantage of their sunshine and hospitality. Just sit it out and see what comes of it.

Pay by credit card and if the company cannot deliver what they promised, you can get your money back.

Irish people are isolating, worried, tired and stressed at the moment. Imagine how they'll feel by July and after that, they'll really need a holiday by then. Something to look forward to. The light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Somewhat similar boat here. We're due to go to Castell Montgri campsite near Barcelona last few days of June for two weeks. Flights from Stansted to Girona are booked for ages (but not Ireland - Stansted flights yet). Ryanair emailed yesterday to say our return flight time has changed by >2 hours so we are entitled to a full refund so we can now get our money back even if they still run the flights. €100 deposit with Eurocamp for campsite. Normally we would have had to pay the balance (~€1500) of the campsite next week but Eurocamp have pushed that back to mid May given the circumstances. I would expect that we won't be going anywhere but we'll see the lie of the land in six weeks and make a call then.

Jesus people are grim.

If this is still going in July we will be in apocolypse territory at which stage I will be putting all my money in guns and canned food

Cant see how we will be good to go in July. Maybe flights will go and hotels villas etc will take bookings and be open but to hell with that. Way to risky with how Spain handled this whole thing tbh. Cant see many responsible people going to spain or their islands this summer.

Do tell, how did they handle it compared to Ireland?

What's your issue?

The amount of cases they have, coupled with the death rates and the fact that the elderly are being abandoned in care homes suggest they have made a pretty poor attempt of getting things under control .

I reckon flights etc will open up mid summer with precautions in place at airports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭belfe

Even assuming that Spain is free of coronavirus by July 1st (I hope so, the quarantine caught me in Spain and I don't know if I can keep the quarantine for two more months), I'd avoid overcrowded areas with people arriving from everywhere for a long while, and Ibiza is probably the best example of these type of places. According to some scientifics, next year a vaccine may be ready, That will be the best moment for returning to the normal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I won’t travel until there is a vaccine and proper antivirals to treat this.

There could be a pocket outbreak anywhere and I don’t fancy being caught abroad if there were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Literally nobody knows how this will pan out.

We could easily be out of this by may/june, and likewise Spain. Or the opposite way around.

Take a look at China, they are coming out of a 2 month full lockdown, Spain and Italy are probably at its peak right now in terms of people dying/cases..

Holidays/Countries could be normal by the time July comes around, literally no one knows..

I have my holiday booked for Spain and I'm sure they're gonna need the extra tourists/money by the time they do come out of lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

We have a family holiday mid June in lanzarote
    Not a notion of going
    If flights aren’t cancelled I’ll take the hit
    Or reschedule for 2021

What's your issue?

The amount of cases they have, coupled with the death rates and the fact that the elderly are being abandoned in care homes suggest they have made a pretty poor attempt of getting things under control .

They also have a population ten times ours and significantly older to boot. Hell, Madrid has 150% our entire population with increased density. Add in Madrid being a centralised travel hub and it's earlier importation of the virus.

The story of the care home could just as easily be here, Criminal negligence by the staff not the authorities. You think old people don't die in care homes here? They see old and in the homes for a reason.

They are and have implemented strict protocols and unlike here, they are enforced by the police who actually have legal powers to do so.They are using the military as well, a significant boost in numbers.

And my issue is people making general comments without looking at all aspects. Spain was always going to be hit harder not just in raw numbers but in percentages as well.

So again, how did they deal with it and what did they do wrong compared to Ireland? I hope your right by the way because if we get hit as hard we have fewer police, fewer military and fewer hospitals oer head of population than Spain, considered in the top health services globally.

_Brian wrote: »
    I won’t travel until there is a vaccine and proper antivirals to treat this.

There could be a pocket outbreak anywhere and I don’t fancy being caught abroad if there were.

There's diseases all over the world that you can get while traveling. There's diseases you can get in Ireland.

Did you avoid Spain before because of tiger mosquito or rabies? Jeez, you can get hep A from the food!

Don't be so silly.

Literally nobody knows how this will pan out.

We could easily be out of this by may/june, and likewise Spain. Or the opposite way around.

Take a look at China, they are coming out of a 2 month full lockdown, Spain and Italy are probably at its peak right now in terms of people dying/cases..

Holidays/Countries could be normal by the time July comes around, literally no one knows..

I have my holiday booked for Spain and I'm sure they're gonna need the extra tourists/money by the time they do come out of lockdown.

Well the chinese figures are questionable to be honest. We will probably be out of this in July. But its not a risk that any of us need to take. Cases will still be happening without a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

would you be willing to bring back the virus to your family or friends?

You can't put your life on complete lockdown until a vaccine is found. If Aer Lingus are flying to my destination in September and there are no restrictions I will go on my trip and try to take all precautions i.e the social distancing, washing hands etc. Life is for living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'd say by late May restrictions will be relaxed. June some tentative steps to flying. July a gradual uptick and into August some slight normality.

Just going to have to be extra cautious but I'd say August onwards I'd be hopeful

Advertisement