Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Everyday Racism"

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

I’m referring to the posts between ME and YOU.

I don’t know why you’re afraid to have a reasonable conversation.

Look at the post you quoted!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Can you point me to a reliable source for your definition of racism?

What's this? What do you mean a reliable source?

Like an updated dictionary definition from Webster online dictionary or something like that - is that what's you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dlaughingcow

timhenn wrote: »
    Look at the post you quoted!

Do you mean the post you quoted?

His post is littered with abhorrent language, you’ve had a few ****ty posts too, granted a few steps below that post.

You really can’t say anything when you say some of the things you’ve said.

TROLL.

Your only interest is shutting down a conversation that should be had as it has clearly been a divisive issue in Ireland in recent years.

I think the problem is that scale has been dropped out the window in the favor of instant outrage. Of course there will be some racism in Ireland. There are racist people everywhere, although they do tend to be a minority. The issue is that people being uncomfortable with another 'race' or 'culture' is often taken as racism. Instead, of acknowledging that Ireland is relatively new to immigration, the tack is taken that Irish people should instantly accept all races and all cultures regardless of how different they might be, in how they appear or behave.

The really interesting part though is the expectation for Western nations to completely remove all racism, and failure to do so shows that racism is common. I've lived in many countries in Asia, where racism against both "white" and "black" people is common. It's institutionalized at official levels, and accepted within the culture, because other races are an extreme minority. In Japan, there are bars and restaurants where foreigners are not allowed to enter. It's all very polite, but it's still discrimination based on race.. and all out in the open. In a fight between a white person, and a Chinese person, the white person will be arrested. facts don't matter. There is a "natural" preference in many Asian countries like this. I never really see demands for places such as these to change.

And when I traveled through the M.East and Eastern Africa, I experienced many instances where there would be alternating attitudes of racism, or ignoring of foreigners based on their skin color. Police would check passports of white people, but ignore the black people even if they were foreigners. Although all Americans got checked regardless of their skin color. I lost count of the number of times I was hassled simply for being a foreigner while traveling. All legit, and no reason to be so suspicious, but... it was there all the same.

The point is that the world is a rather racist place... if you don't apply any scale. However, there's little call for other countries outside of Western nations to become less racist. Apparently, even though western countries have racial anti-discrimination laws, and societies that abhors racist behavior, we're more racist than others... Somehow.

Nah. There's an agenda being driven. White guilt. We are all collectively responsible for anything negative that has ever been applied to a minority, and/or all actions by white people throughout history. Naturally, such a collective guilt is not ever applied to Black people (or any other non-white group), because such a thing would be racist. :rolleyes:

White guilt is profitable. Even if you're not a member of an NGO, there's heaps of sponsorship, book sales, lecturing positions etc available for those who gain some publicity by spouting this rubbish.

Racism in Europe would have declined normally as people became more accustomed to those from other countries or races. However, people who advocate that racism is a problem, are generally creating friction in society and encouraging resentment in people who would normally not have cared in the slightest. This isn't about being racist, or creating an equal society. This is about giving these advocates a reason for existing. Friction, conflict, etc is fuel for their careers.

Do you mean the post you quoted?

His post is littered with abhorrent language, you’ve had a few ****ty posts too, granted a few steps below that post.

You really can’t say anything when you say some of the things you’ve said.

TROLL.

Your only interest is shutting down a conversation that should be had as it has clearly been a divisive issue in Ireland in recent years.

No! You quoted my post directed to him, post 125. Are you getting confused as to which account you were logged in as?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 dlaughingcow

No! You quoted my post directed to him, post 125. Are you getting confused as to which account you were logged in as?

Are you actually fcuking serious?

Enjoy your derailing. I’m out in regards to actually trying to take part in a conversation here. Instead I’ll bring these topics up with reasonable intelligent people in real life. People that have the capacity to logically and emotionally think about things, to listen to all sides of the conversation and to not just have the need to shut down conversations they’re afraid of. And a lot of them, to really make this actually be discussed.

I’ll read on to see just how people like you shut down threads by stifling conversation.

You’re a child.

You’re as bad as a Gemma O Doherty supporter.

Enjoy not letting the people of this country talk about topics that they feel are important to them.

Bye troll.

Are you actually fcuking serious?

Enjoy your derailing. I’m out in regards to actually trying to take part in a conversation here. Instead I’ll bring these topics up with reasonable intelligent people in real life. People that have the capacity to logically and emotionally think about things, to listen to all sides of the conversation and to not just have the need to shut down conversations they’re afraid of. And a lot of them, to really make this actually be discussed.

I’ll read on to see just how people like you shut down threads by stifling conversation.

You’re a child.

You’re as bad as a Gemma O Doherty supporter.

Enjoy not letting the people of this country talk about topics that they feel are important to them.

Bye troll.

Jesus, no need to cry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

For the hundreds if not thousands of 'racism' NGOs it is of course in their interests that racism exists in Ireland.
    Otherwise they would be out of an extremely lucrative job.

You are talking absolute bollox. There isnt hundreds or thousands of racism NGOs

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I literally typed African Gangs Dublin into a search engine and this was the first result.

https://theliberal.ie/tyrrelstown-terror-local-residents-say-teenage-gangs-are-simply-out-of-control/

Don't let the facts get in the way of this discussion lol

Facts? You're having a laugh. Thrliberal.ie is not factual. Its a sh itty racist blog.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

GarIT wrote: »
    Our system as in the collective of taxpayers who keep the country going. Health is doing terrible as is housing, education is below ideal levels of funding, lots of other services are stretched.

The point is, people come into Ireland, we share everything with them, treat them better than at least 90% of the world would and they spend their time telling us how racist we are becuase of a small few actual racists and their preception of anything going against them being racist.

Wtf are you on about. Immigrants are taxpayers too. You couldnt run our health service without migrant workers.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

:pac: You've outed yourself as an incel as well!
    And still no proof. What have foreigners ever done to you? One of them marry the woman you were stalking?
    Did you miss this fellas post? He's a nutjob!
    Jesus, no need to cry about it.
    Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Why would we need a system like that? There'sno proof of anything you claim so you can safely assume it's complete bollox. You've had plenty of time to back up your assertions.

Why wouldnt we record this , should we not record age or gender ? , it seems the only people wprried about recording race in crime statistics are worried about non white groups over representing and ruining their narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Why wouldnt we record this , should we not record age or gender ? , it seems the only people wprried about recording race in crime statistics are worried about non white groups over representing and ruining their narrative.

You only have to look at America to see that one ethnic minority is responsible for about half the murders.

I hope the same thing doesn't happen in Ireland were ethnic minorities are over represented in the crime statistics.

If that happens we will have to start looking at deporting foreign criminals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭randoplh134

Check out your sister if you like.

Very mature, i think this comment sums up your contribution to this thread. You just point and sputter at people who disagree with your deluded view of the world. I am not going to spend anymore time trying to show you what is going on out there, either you have been self isolated for the past 10 years or you are flat out trolling.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I cannot think of a single moment in the 40+ years of my life that, either directly or indirectly, I have ever had somebody or something try to make me feel guilty for being white, or straight, or male.

You have to wonder where this particular victimhood complex has come from.

osarusan wrote: »
    I cannot think of a single moment in the 40+ years of my life that, either directly or indirectly, I have ever had somebody or something try to make me feel guilty for being white, or straight, or male.

The joy of living in Ireland as it is. Enjoy it while it lasts.

However, should you spread your wings to live abroad for a while, you'll encounter quite a few white people (Usually female Americans/Canadians) or non-whites who will want you to feel guilty for two out of the three.

It's not everywhere and thankfully Europe seems mostly immune to it (so far), but outside of Europe it exists.

As for victimhood, it's rather fashionable these days. Every group seems to avail of it, but it's somehow unreasonable when white males do it. You don't find that interesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

you've clearly managed to avoid twitter, the guardian and the Irish times completely, well done.

However, should you spread your wings to live abroad for a while, you'll encounter quite a few white people (Usually female Americans/Canadians) or non-whites who will want you to feel guilty for two out of the three.
    Lived abroad for more than 10 years, worked with dozens if not hundreds of female Americans and Canadians in that time, as well as dozens of non-whites, and still haver had it happen.

As for victimhood, it's rather fashionable these days. Every group seems to avail of it, but it's somehow unreasonable when white males do it. You don't find that interesting

I think invented victimhood is pathetic no matter who does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

While nobody has ever directed it at me personally, there are plenty of examples of it in Ireland.

Lynn Ruane, now a Senator, got TCD students to do a "privilege walk" in the grounds of the college.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lynn+Ruane+Trinity+privilege&rlz=1C1GCEU_enIE888IE888&oq=Lynn+Ruane+Trinity+privilege&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.8463j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

As for victimhood, it's rather fashionable these days. Every group seems to avail of it, but it's somehow unreasonable when white males do it. You don't find that interesting?

One particular fashionable variant of this in the UK of late is that if one is black, and they can trace their ancestry back to the US in slave times, that somehow they are also the victims of slavery, and therefore reparations must be paid to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Geuze wrote: »
    While nobody has ever directed it at me personally, there are plenty of examples of it in Ireland.

Lynn Ruane, now a Senator, got TCD students to do a "privilege walk" in the grounds of the college.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lynn+Ruane+Trinity+privilege&rlz=1C1GCEU_enIE888IE888&oq=Lynn+Ruane+Trinity+privilege&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.8463j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The media/government have a lot to blame for it, giving twits and quango's space to push this agenda/vicitmhood in ireland..pushing identity politics and other nonsense imported from the States

Lived abroad for more than 10 years, worked with dozens if not hundreds of female Americans and Canadians in that time, as well as dozens of non-whites, and still haver had it happen.

Ahh well, I've encountered it a number of times. Not very common but then I spend most of my time in Asia.
    I think invented victimhood is pathetic no matter who does it.

It's not quite invented though, is it?

For example, within western society, women receive preferential treatment under the guise of equality. They receive many boosts to their lives, and careers, based entirely on their gender which males don't also receive (even though in many areas, they're outperforming men).

If you ever happen to look at educational scholarships, there is are programs for females, and minorities, but nothing for white males.

Now, I don't feel like a victim. I can make my life work regardless of all this, but I can understand that men who have less freedom than I do, would find this difficult to deal with.

The media/government have a lot to blame for it, giving twits and quango's space to push this agenda/vicitmhood in ireland..pushing identity politics and other nonsense imported from the States

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/trinity-students-take-privilege-walk-to-highlight-access-issues-1.2599225
    “I’m not privileged, because I come from a Traveller background,” he says unequivocally.

He got into Trinity with his A-levels from Omagh Grammar School and only found out about the Trinity Accesss Programme (Tap) when he got there and applied. He qualified.

McDonagh’s identity as a Traveller is strong. He is only aware of four Travellers at Trinity, however, “and one of them is me,” he laughs.

The Privilege Walk is a good idea, he says. “But I’m not sure where Travellers fit in. We need a separate programme, maybe, as we get very little educational opportunity.”

Says someone who is going to Trinity... I went to AIT. Hilarious.

God, I hate this privilege nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Nesta2018

It's ironic that "cultural appropriation" is a crime if a European person wears a bindi on their forehead or a sombrero. But not if Nigerians appropriate the experiences of African Americans. The former group came to Ireland of their own will and exploited our very weak asylum system and brief period of "jus sanguinis" law to settle here. They tend to be from a wealthier background to begin with, and have enjoyed huge generosity from the Irish state, free housing, welfare, education for their children, the freedom of Europe and job opportunities undreamed of at home. Yet they claim the experiences of the descendants of slaves; people who lived under virtual apartheid until fifty years ago in a country with deep and toxic racial politics. The NGO industry and academia has already given a platform to some people whose very presence in the country is based on deception (hard questions are rarely asked by our journalists or national broadcaster), but who are comfortable lecturing us about our institutional and societal racism.

It's actually really racist of the Irish people who cheerlead this nonsense. Not just the racism of low expectations where different standards are applied to non-white people, but an absolute tin eared ignorance of the fact that "black people" are made up of many nationalities, religions, cultural backgrounds and social classes. I don't doubt that there are racist people and racist abuse should never be tolerated, but there is no evidence that this warrants the existence of a "Privilege Walk" around Trinity or entire taxpayer funded charities whose aims seem nothing more than grievance-stoking.

For example, within western society, women receive preferential treatment under the guise of equality. They receive many boosts to their lives, and careers, based entirely on their gender which males don't also receive (even though in many areas, they're outperforming men).

If you ever happen to look at educational scholarships, there is are programs for females, and minorities, but nothing for white males.

I don't disagree with this at all, and you can add decisions made in family courts as another example of where the scales are weighted against men (and indeed sentencing in general). There are areas where there are imbalances, no doubt. I'm not arguing against that.

What I'm saying is that these imbalances don't come within light years of the idea that society makes people guilty for being straight white males. If you feel that the imbalances mentioned above make my choice of the word 'invented' incorrect, then I'm ready to change that to 'absurdly exaggerated'.

As you said, victimhood is fashionable, and I think that people have seen how it's possible to do well out of victimhood, so they've decided to get on board with the 'What about the straight white male?' whinge.

But this straight white male victimhood complex is no less of a nonsense than any other, and the people spouting it are equally guilty of all the criticisms they level against others involved in their own victimhood complexes.

I don't disagree with this at all, and you can add decisions made in family courts as another example of where the scales are weighted against men (and indeed sentencing in general). There are areas where there are imbalances, no doubt. I'm not arguing against that.

What I'm saying is that these imbalances don't come within light years of the idea that society makes people guilty for being straight white males. If you feel that the imbalances mentioned above make my choice of the word 'invented' incorrect, then I'm ready to change that to 'absurdly exaggerated'.

As you said, victimhood is fashionable, and I think that people have seen how it's possible to do well out of victimhood, so they've decided to get on board with the 'What about the straight white male?' whinge.

But this straight white male victimhood complex is no less of a nonsense than any other, and the people spouting it are equally guilty of all the criticisms they level against others involved in their own victimhood complexes.

Fair enough. I tend to find it's something most common in the US/Canada. I lecture in China and I get international students regularly. Quite a few of the male Americans have described institutionalized sexism directed towards them, in the form of fails for exam papers which don't agree with the "accepted" feminist regime. A colleague of mine (Canadian) had to take his university to court over their failing of all his papers (philosophy) which countered the feminist dogma.. He won, but it came years after his graduation would have occurred. Naturally massive expenses afterward, and he just came out with his degree.

I'd agree that it's all nonsense, but since the other nonsense is accepted, and even lauded within many societies, it justifies the need for white males to feel victimized. Which if you accept the other nonsense, then they are.

Don't get me wrong though. I feel that males should be able to rise above these obstacles and have a successful life. However, at the same time, I do feel that now is the time for males to highlight the double standards that do exist, and the privileges that other groups receive. Ignoring the favortism hasn't worked... it has gotten worse. The disparity between the genders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭conorhal

That's because you were educated at a time when educational institutions weren't obsessed with indoctrinating students with identity politics.

I read somwehere about a bunch of American college lecturers freaking out about a request that they put their lectures on line to facilitate social distancing during the corona outbreak. Apparently they were afraid that 'right wing students would leak them'.

It sort of makes you wonder what kind of crap are they teaching that they're 'afraid' of people learning about?

conorhal wrote: »
    That's because you were educated at a time when educational institutions weren't obsessed with indoctrinating students with identity politics.

This is an example of the absurd exaggeration I'm talking about - the claim that educational institutions are 'obsessed with indoctrinating students with identity politics.'

And the irony of it all is that the 'straight white male' grievance is just as much a play on identity politics as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭conorhal

This is an example of the absurd exaggeration I'm talking about - the claim that educational institutions are 'obsessed with indoctrinating students with identity politics.'

And the irony of it all is that the 'straight white male' grievance is just as much a play on identity politics as anything else.

Rubbish, they absolutely are shoving ID-Pol down people's throat.
    I'd imagine this is the kind of crap that lecturer's what to hide:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/teaching-maths-white-privilege-illinois-university-professor-rochelle-gutierrez-a8018521.html

Why? Because when published for normies to read it sounds as insane as it is.

• Advertisement

Obsessed, no. Is it present in many areas of education. Well, yes.

You should take a wander over to the Gentlemans forum, and have a look at some of the sexism related threads. You'll get an idea of what's going on.

Of course it is... doesn't make their cause any less relevant though. Identity politics for the other groups has been in the public eye for decades. Originally, it was related to feminism and women's rights. Then it expanded on racial or ethnic terms. Often placing males or white males as being the cause of their problems, and it has led to changes in society which place men at a disadvantage..

Like my previous example. Educational scholarships. You can find plenty for women, or minority groups, or races such as black people, but you won't find any for white males. Why? Because Identity politics is a force that has gained momentum, which says that any such boosts white males is discrimination but the other groups deserve such help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement