Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts on Covid19?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Cole wrote: »
    Same boat here, but I haven't taken the plunge and ordered yet. Do you mind sharing where you purchased?

Thanks.

https://www.strengthshop.ie/ for the rack and plates and got an Ohio Power Bar from https://www.rogueeurope.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Deano7788 wrote: »
    https://www.strengthshop.ie/ for the rack and plates and got an Ohio Power Bar from https://www.rogueeurope.eu/

Thanks...how's the delivery situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Cole wrote: »
    Thanks...how's the delivery situation?

Due tomorrow!

Strength shop is free delivery over 120, rogue depends on the size of the order and method.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Due tomorrow!

That's impressive. I'll get cracking.

It's the putting together of the rack/cage that's the most hassle for me...but I guess I'll have a lot more time on my hands to figure it out, due to current events.

Cheers... good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭obi604

I think I’ve eaten my weight in sh1te over the last few days :) !!

Need to snap out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Well wear.

I remember comparing SS and Rogue plate prices some time last year and for a brief while (probably during a sale), the Rogue plates worked out cheaper.

I'm sure that in the current climate, equipment sellers are going to make a fortune.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well wear.

I remember comparing SS and Rogue plate prices some time last year and for a brief while (probably during a sale), the Rogue plates worked out cheaper.

I'm sure that in the current climate, equipment sellers are going to make a fortune.

yeah i put in an order to d8fitness there... just a band (dont know where mine are gone) and some dumbbells though!

ps split squat isoholds = :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bluewolf wrote: »
    yeah i put in an order to d8fitness there... just a band (dont know where mine are gone) and some dumbbells though!

ps split squat isoholds = :(

Was in the shop on Friday.

The adrenaline rush!

A home gym is a pipe dream of mine. Have a dilapidated shed that isn't fit for anything that has the potential to be a gym, but too much work to do in such a short space of time.

What I do have is an old kids swing set in the back garden. It is heavily rusted and some of the bolts have fused, so it's without the bottom parts of the legs. It is almost perfect for Anderson squats. Could also be used for inverted rows.

Also thinking about buying a sled and harness as there is a big green near me. Would be handy to get in some loaded sprints while minding my daughter, but none of the harness/sled combos would be safe for an 8 month old.

A home gym is a pipe dream of mine. Have a dilapidated shed that isn't fit for anything that has the potential to be a gym, but too much work to do in such a short space of time.

What I do have is an old kids swing set in the back garden. It is heavily rusted and some of the bolts have fused, so it's without the bottom parts of the legs. It is almost perfect for Anderson squats. Could also be used for inverted rows.

Also thinking about buying a sled and harness as there is a big green near me. Would be handy to get in some loaded sprints while minding my daughter, but none of the harness/sled combos would be safe for an 8 month old.

Same...no space for a gym at home. The older one is trying to do rows standing on the red band like she's seen me do with the purple band and I hope ta gawd my form is nothing like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

L'prof wrote: »
    I might try this too. Probably with breaks between every exercise though. I looked at the first video and turned it off straight away. Pull ups are not possible for me right now :p

Added these to some weight exercises last night and gave it a lash. Absolutely no way in hell I can do the step throughs for a minute :o Swapped them out for jumping jacks. Also paid for the full version of an app to split my exercises into 1 minute intervals with 30s breaks in between. I think i sweated a lot more than my gym workout even though it was 30% shorter :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Not sure where to post this, don’t usually post around here :)

I’ve been working from home the last two weeks so haven’t been on my usual routine. I either walk, run, or cycle to work (12km each way) and mix them up, like cycle in, run home, walk in, cycle home.

Anyway, this has resulted in a lot of weight loss and just before I started working from home, I hit my goal of losing 100lbs. But in the last 2 weeks, with very little moving around, I’ve dropped another 5lbs. Is this normal enough? I’ve gone from exercising 7 days a week to none, so I presume I’m losing muscle or water weight in the muscle? Or something? Anxiety is up with all going on so the resting heart rate is also on the up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

Not sure where to post this, don’t usually post around here :)

I’ve been working from home the last two weeks so haven’t been on my usual routine. I either walk, run, or cycle to work (12km each way) and mix them up, like cycle in, run home, walk in, cycle home.

Anyway, this has resulted in a lot of weight loss and just before I started working from home, I hit my goal of losing 100lbs. But in the last 2 weeks, with very little moving around, I’ve dropped another 5lbs. Is this normal enough? I’ve gone from exercising 7 days a week to none, so I presume I’m losing muscle or water weight in the muscle? Or something? Anxiety is up with all going on so the resting heart rate is also on the up too.

Muscle retains water, that may account for some, also what's your calories like, bet they've dropped down as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Any recommendations for a free standing pull/dips set up?

Is anyone going to cancel their memberships? I've heard nothing from Westwood, and it's not like they're cheap, and I'm gonna be broke soon.

Is anyone going to cancel their memberships? I've heard nothing from Westwood, and it's not like they're cheap, and I'm gonna be broke soon.

Contact them and see if you can freeze/pause the membership or if there is an alternative that suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

My gym released a statement saying all memberships are frozen and will resume once this passes. Thought that was pretty sound of them.

My gym released a statement saying all memberships are frozen and will resume once this passes. Thought that was pretty sound of them.

Yeah it's weird I've heard nothing, they have 1000s of members and might be the dearest ones in Ireland. Probably up sh*t creek now with the size of their premises it would be a mare to close them down with all the bills to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Ours is frozen, I'd paid over the counter for a month so I'm only out by about two weeks either ways.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

True fitness in Naas still operating away as normal. Greed, shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

when do see gyms reopening??

Acey10 wrote: »
    when do see gyms reopening??

No one knows. It won't be for another month anyway and how long more after that will be known better in another 3 weeks.

But it will be months rather than weeks.

Thought I'd bite the bullet and get a cheap bar for outside but no. Everywhere is sold out. Too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Kamu

Thought I'd bite the bullet and get a cheap bar for outside but no. Everywhere is sold out. Too late.

I am in the same boat. I've little space at home to work out, as I live with parents/siblings.

The only room available is my bedroom and that involves moving of desk/bed.

Currently I can only do body weight, and I know that it is better than nothing, but just not enjoying dismantling my room and setting back up again.

Looked online about buying some dumbells, barebell and set of plates to use in the garden, but none to be found.

I've started to run though, so that's a different goal to work towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

CBear1993 wrote: »
    True fitness in Naas still operating away as normal. Greed, shocking.

Won't be after today, all gyms closed

Kamu wrote: »
    I am in the same boat. I've little space at home to work out, as I live with parents/siblings.

Currently I can only do body weight, and I know that it is better than nothing, but just not enjoying dismantling my room and setting back up again.

Looked online about buying some dumbells, barebell and set of plates to use in the garden, but none to be found.

I can't run but I kinda wish I could. I have a 12kg kettlebell and 2 resistance bands. Was sent a workout to do with those (though it hasn't involved the bands yet). My legs are currently pretty sore from goblet squats with the kettlebell.

Amazing the burn you'll get from increasing reps and/or changing the tempo.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Kamu wrote: »

HIIT training is highly effective in my opinion. Did a 20 min session yesterday, full body but incorporated a lot of leg movement and my legs are in bits today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Hello people! I know of an outdoor gym that's usually deserted, I've been using it since I stopped going to the proper gym.

Does anyone know if it's still ok to go to outdoor gyms as long as you keep social distance?

Can't find specific official guidance on this. I know in the UK the government specifically said outdoor gyms would be closed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Standman wrote: »
    Hello people! I know of an outdoor gym that's usually deserted, I've been using it since I stopped going to the proper gym.

Does anyone know if it's still ok to go to outdoor gyms as long as you keep social distance?

Can't find specific official guidance on this. I know in the UK the government specifically said outdoor gyms would be closed...

It is yes, 1 hour once per day

Advertisement