Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Men’s fashion faux pas that annoy you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

There are certain ground rules that apply no matter what your taste.

Are they? I'd accept those rules if I was paid to obey them but otherwise why? Maybe prescriptive lifestyle gives some people comfort that they something right but it's not very imaginative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

meeeeh wrote: »
    I love clothes, I love fashion but if you have to make sure every time not to wear sandals in wrong neighbourhood or button up the jacket when cold, what's the joy in that. It's just a set of rules to exclude people who don't conform.

Honestly 9/10 it's so you don't look like crap.

I don't judge anyone or exclude anyone on the basis of what they're wearing. Menswear is practically a hobby of mine, and I like knowing it looks well. I'm also not talking about 'fashion' - I'm talking about mistakes that make you not look your best.

Wearing suits too big or too small - regardless of the style or what's in fashion - you won't look good.

Not making sure your overcoat vents are split properly - means that the coat won't sit right so it doesn't look good.

To be honest a lot of the stuff mentioned on this thread as a 'faux pas' is actually just a matter of personal taste. If you look at the runway shows and style magazines, pool slides with socks are actually highly fashionable at the moment. Likewise young lads wearing anklegrazers with loafers.

I especially won't rag on young people wearing stuff that I don't like or I think looks stupid because I don't know anyone my age (38) that didn't look stupid following some kind of fashion in the 90's. Side split jeans and massive hoodies, anyone? I know I had a pair of combats that in hindsight were incredibly regrettable but I loved them at the time so I won't apologize for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Are they? I'd accept those rules if I was paid to obey them but otherwise why? Maybe prescriptive lifestyle gives some people comfort that they something right but it's not very imaginative.

Would you go outside in balls out jeans???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

clevtrev wrote: »
    sandals are fairly sh1te in all their forms, but please, if you have to wear them please dont wear them with socks. (Im sure I got the punctuation wrong there)

Was always a big no no but isn't this "fashionable" now amongst the Geordie shore and love island wannabes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Stone washed blue or grey jeans with black slip-on shoes.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Cravats.
    The badge of a bollox.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Saw a young presenter on a tv programme recently, he was medaium height and skinny build, and was wearing dark suit that was several sizes too small in all directions. Skinny short trousers, skinny jacket with sleeves well up his wrists, and there is no way the jacket would have fastened round him. I got that it was fashion but it looked to me to be unattractive, uncomfortable and rather sad. He seemed to think he was gorgeous though so I suppose that was alright!

Would you go outside in balls out jeans???

I'm missing an essential body part for that.

What I would go out in is completely irrelevant, the question is would some busybody get a fit because of it. There is nothing wrong with paying attention towat you wear and how you wear it as long as you police yourself not others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

I'm missing an essential body part for that.

What I would go out in is completely irrelevant, the question is would some busybody get a fit because of it. There is nothing wrong with paying attention to what you wear and how you wear it as long as you police yourself not others.

Read the title of the thread please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Oh I thought of another MASSIVE one of mine. Folks (not just men, in fairness) who don't cut the threads that hold coat and jacket vents closed during shipping. Drive me INSANE.

That's not a fashion observation, it's OCD.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

That's not a fashion observation, it's OCD.

I would say it is a fashion observation, coats and blazers won't sit properly until the thread is broken. They're not decorative additions, it's literally to keep the shape during shipping as B&C said.

There's a lot of "fashion I don't like" in this thread. Just because you don't like ripped jeans doesn't make them a faux pas. I'd be more thinking of ill-fitting clothes, not removing the sticker off the soles of your shoes, wearing both a belt and suspenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Twee. wrote: »
    There's a lot of "fashion I don't like" in this thread. Just because you don't like ripped jeans doesn't make them a faux pas. I'd be more thinking of ill-fitting clothes, not removing the sticker off the soles of your shoes, wearing both a belt and suspenders.

Or wearing suspenders with trousers that have belt loops! :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The HORROR!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Has anyone mentioned low rider jeans with the underwear visible thing yet, jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

bladespin wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned low rider jeans with the underwear visible thing yet, jesus wept.

I am so tempted just to run up behind and pull down the trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

This from a knitting pattern for shorts!! (Hope I've downloaded pic correctly)

This from a knitting pattern for shorts!! (Hope I've downloaded pic correctly)

Where is that from? I want them for myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

straight men wearing tights for exercise,
    or middle age men wearing tight fitting cycling bottoms to cycle 15 minutes i just don't get it

Yeah all those 100m runners and TDF cyclists they all look gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

That peaky blinders look with the 3 piece suit and flat cap.
    Those double breasted waistcoats with suits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Or wearing suspenders with trousers that have belt loops! :eek:

The only thing is, it is very rare to see trousers without belt loops these days.

However, on a related point, one major faux pas (as opposed to fashion trends that people dislike, which is what most here seem to be mentioning!) is guys wearing both suspenders and a belt with a suit :eek: I've seen it a few times before!

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Skinny jeans on lads with a waistline over 32' just look ridiculous.

Badly fitting suits.

Tie bars that are wider than the tie is another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,349 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Suspenders with a man's suit? Is there something being lost in translation here?

504107.jpeg

straight men wearing tights for exercise,
    or middle age men wearing tight fitting cycling bottoms to cycle 15 minutes i just don't get it

Try drying out a tracksuit in your work changing room on a wet day and you'll get it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Try drying out a tracksuit in your work changing room on a wet day and you'll get it.

the smell off the skin tight tights some of the lads leave here is gank,
    sorry but no need imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Belts on trousers with a three piece suit.
    Tie bar and a waistcoat.

the smell off the skin tight tights some of the lads leave here is gank,
    sorry but no need imo

The smell is nothing to do with the fabric. Lycra retains less sweat than other materials.

Do you feel threatened when people wear different things to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I see Irish men button both buttons on a two button suit quite a lot, as well as poor fitting off ther ack suits in general. Looks silly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Twee. wrote: »

I would be of the opinion that trousers that are deliberately leaving your ankle exposed are ill-fitting and entire justifiable under those rules. And that's what seems to be popular, from tracksuit bottoms to jeans to semi-formal trousers now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wearing any sandals or flip flops, unless you are beside or near a body of water, is a major faux pas. There's a father who drops his kid off to school in the morning wearing flip flops...

Par for the course in Australia, Ireland in Feb though.

Advertisement