Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Glebee wrote: »
    22 points from 14 holes in spring league comp. Im all over the place. One shot i strike good, next shot duff it. Putting was brutal. Missed 4 par puts and on two ended with double bogies after. Nees to get some lessons. Im just dont feel like my golf is any better tha this time last year.

26 points in next round of Spring League 14 hole comp. Putting is brutal and doing my head in. Irons slowely getting better and getting good connection with ball 90% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

Kiith wrote: »
    bPYKIp6.png

--

Thought this was worth a picture :P Didn't think i was anywhere near breaking 80, after only breaking 90 recently for the first time...and i just about wasn't. Missed a putt by a few milliliters on 17 for a birdie, and that would have just gotten me over the edge. Few duffed chips, and some pulled long irons early on (which i think i've figured out), but other then that, i hit the ball really well. Drives were great (bar 16), and some of my short game was seriously on form.

When things go well in golf, it really is an fantastic game :D

I'm familiar with that course. 80 overall is a great score. And 2 on 12 would make it a great round on it's own!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

blue note wrote: »
    I'm familiar with that course. 80 overall is a great score. And 2 on 12 would make it a great round on it's own!
    6 on the first was a bit of shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

bPYKIp6.png

--

Thought this was worth a picture :P Didn't think i was anywhere near breaking 80, after only breaking 90 recently for the first time...and i just about wasn't. Missed a putt by a few milliliters on 17 for a birdie, and that would have just gotten me over the edge. Few duffed chips, and some pulled long irons early on (which i think i've figured out), but other then that, i hit the ball really well. Drives were great (bar 16), and some of my short game was seriously on form.

When things go well in golf, it really is an fantastic game :D

That's a brilliant round. Well done

Have to say though having seen you play that it's no surprise. You hit the ball a mile off the tee and know when to play conservative bump and runs when it's needed. Minimise the brain farts and there is a hell of a golfer in there

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

38 Points this morning out of nowhere. +4.

3 birdies
    9 pars
    5 Bogeys
    1 Double (tee shot out of bounds)

Missed a lot of greens (8/18 GIR, 1 was a par 5 in 2) but had 5 up and downs, 1 sand save and no 3 putts.

Won't stand a chance in the overall due to a shortened course and some boys still chipping of mats :D. Will have a chance of category 1 prize.

Not swinging it good at all, losing a lot of drives right and pulling my irons but shows a score is there when you can keep the ball in play and scramble well.

More importantly, weather fantastic and course in good shape!

• Advertisement

37 points in the Sunday comp.

Hit the ball really well today. Was out in 22 points and then my putter malfunction ed. Had a three putt from 10 feet to make a bogey on par 5. Followed that up by scratching par 3 13 with a 4 putt. Mentally so fragile over short putts... Even the ones that drop in saying a bloody rosary hoping they would drop and I'm not a religious man

Pulled it back together to have 36 points with 1 to play. Made a balls of the last from the fairway to scrape 1 more point. Massive chance to chalk up first win at corballis

That said, hit the ball better than ever. All the corona driven indoor chipping practice paying off

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I played yesterday. Casual.
    Was not hitting it well and didn’t take it anyway serious.
    Walking to the green and just hitting putts without lining them up for eg.
    Just getting to the ball and hitting with whatever club came to hand.
    Will have to adapt if I keep playing causal golf because my head was just not in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

So today was the day! Woke up to news that the country was on lockdown...
    Was still allowed to tee off at 12.30 today for the last 18 in a while! The latest measures included no carts, no water stations, no lifting the flag, no rakes etc...

Started off with double bogeys on the hard first two holes then played superbly for the next 13 holes! I was 13 over par after 15 holes on a par 70 course. Then I collapsed! Started with a hook on a par 3 when a safe shot would have guaranteed me a 4. So first triple then. Then instead of laying up tried to go over water on the par 5 eighth and went in(by a yard!). Delighted then to get a double bogey.

Either way a bogey on the last would have let me break 90 for the first time ever and I bottled it. Overhit the driver and was 4 inches from the stones for water/OOB. Hit a wedge on a nasty downslope and found water. Fourth shot hit a bridge. Knocked the fifth onto the one place on the green you don't land which rolled into water. Got up and down for 8. I'm still in shock I think. 92 strokes/ 34 points. Got confirmation after the round they are closed for the foreseeable.

Genuinely feel I need help not thinking about the score/strokes I have taken. I always know how much to par I am and can never switch off even with someone else marking. End up choking then!!! The worst part is when you are playing well and confidently and a bad shot or two really knocks you off stride. The brain just stops thinking!!!

I suspect this thread is going to be very quiet for the next while :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,712 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

blue note wrote: »
    I suspect this thread is going to be very quiet for the next while :(

It puts a whole new meaning to Last Round

• Advertisement

willabur wrote: »
    37 points in the Sunday comp.

Hit the ball really well today. Was out in 22 points and then my putter malfunction ed. Had a three putt from 10 feet to make a bogey on par 5. Followed that up by scratching par 3 13 with a 4 putt. Mentally so fragile over short putts... Even the ones that drop in saying a bloody rosary hoping they would drop and I'm not a religious man

Pulled it back together to have 36 points with 1 to play. Made a balls of the last from the fairway to scrape 1 more point. Massive chance to chalk up first win at corballis

That said, hit the ball better than ever. All the corona driven indoor chipping practice paying off

The club were late in putting up the results of the comp. Came second to my playing partner by 1 shot. sickener :(

goes to show that no matter how well you are playing you cannot leave scratches on your card, you gotta make the gimme range putts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It puts a whole new meaning to Last Round
    I'm comforting myself with the fact that my last round was a winning one. :)

Had 39 points off 21 for a gross score of 90. Just one of the best rounds I've ever played. Was 9 over after 14 holes and then a couple of poor club/shot choices (probably as a result of a bit of fatigue) had me 9 over for the last 4. One of my targets for the year was to break 90, so I am getting close to that now. Will obviously lose a bit of sharpness over the lockdown period, but I'll do my best to keep in shape for whenever it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Woohoo.
    31 off 13.
    3 scratches
    13 bogeys
    1 par
    1 birdie.
    God it was wonderful to be back out.
    Conditions were tough with rain most of the day.
    Nearly lost first drive into a bush and just struggled to get around.
    But we're back...

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

What a welcome return to this thread with a bit of positivity, 30 pts would do me as a decent return after the hiatus

Woohoo.
    31 off 13.
    3 scratches
    13 bogeys
    1 par
    1 birdie.
    God it was wonderful to be back out.
    Conditions were tough with rain most of the day.
    Nearly lost first drive into a bush and just struggled to get around.
    But we're back...

What a beautiful post. I feel like columbus sailing across the ocean and finally seeing land. I've always said we'll get out again, but I didn't always feel it. But now I can see the land. And in 2 days time, I'll feel the sand at my feet. I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

well i should take a 10 week break more often, played castleknock this morning, off 12.
    it started with the rain pissing down as i was getting ready at the boot of the car wondering WTF was i doing, but i had faith it would blow off. thankfully it did after about 2 holes and the raincoat could come off and she warmed up. it did threaten a couple more times, but thankfully it didn't get past a bit of drizzle.
    so i hit a nice 5 iron off the first, duffed my approach, a great chip and slotted the par. happy out.
    second hole found the right rough with my drive and blocked my second shot out to the next fairway, but a good approach saw me get to the edge of the green a long way from the hole, but rolled it nicely up for another par.
    third found the sand and almost got up and down, fourth was my only penalty as i pushed my tee shot out to the right into the water, but another good chip saw me rescue a 5, a couple of more pars followed and i was striking it really well out of the centre. on the 7th a good strike but slightly pulled and i found the sand and again i couldn't get up and down. bogey on 8 was followed by a shocking 3 putt on 9. this rattled me i think because pin high on 10 and a putt from the fringe for eagle barely made it half way and i had to settle for par. similar putt on 11 saw a bogey. a long putt on 12 for birdie was pushed well right and that was FOUR 3putts in a row :(
    bad tee shot on 13 found the 12th fairway and a blind approach came up short. my chip was ok but i couldnt make the putt so another bogey. 14 was my best hole, index 1 456yards and i took the tiger line, cut the corner and i flushed it to leave myself with about 110 to the pin. approach finished about 15 foot left of the flag and the birdie attempt horseshoed and stayed out :(
    another great drive on 15 but my approach came up a little short in the wind and my putt from the fringe was another shocker pushed wide right but thankfully i held the 6 footer for par. another birdie lip out on par 5 16th but from a much longer putt than i should have left myself after being so close to the green in 2. got unlucky on 17 with a reasonable approach catching the obstacle tree right in front of the green dropped short. chip was only ok, but still gave the par putt a good look but it just rolled past. 18 was a near disaster, over the back of the green but putting from the long stuff meant i had to make sure to hit it hard enough, uphill, then downhill, right to left....sent it maybe 25 foot past and the next wasn't much better leaving myself a good 8 footer with break back down the hill....... Made it!! :D

So 38 points with FIVE 3putts in there, 8 pars, two 1 pointers and no scratches. I'll take that after not touching a club in so long.

Welcome back everybody, happy golfing :D

Took a few hours off work to play this morning.

39 points off 7

3 birdies
    10 pars
    4 bogies
    1 scratch

Nice to score well but more important to just get out and play. Driving was wayward at times but hit the ball really well and putted nicely. The break from play has been of great benefit to all courses I would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Absolutely horrible golf with 24 points off 24 (head down).
    But
    Simply didn’t care about the golf. Was absolutely fantastic to get out and have a bit of a laugh on how ****e the 3 of us were after the break and “giving awards” for the worst shot of the day (there were many on the list).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,098 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

34 points off 12...havent swung a club since october. The hitting the provisional off the first didnt bother me, great to get out so just a bonus to do well really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Aw man, what a wonderful day, great to be back. 42 points off 10 and that includes a scratch. 5 birdies in there too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

1st drive, right down the middle! Man that felt good. 2nd shot in the bunker and it took 3 to get out (new wedges) to finish with an 8, but didn't care :)

34 points overall, which i was happy enough with. Drove really well, and putting was ok. Long irons punished me again, so i really need to work on that over the next few weeks. Course was in great condition, though the greens were pretty slow. Looked fantastic.

Delighted to be back, and can't wait to get out there again.

Some great scores above lads - great stuff

Played well - but couldn't get the unusual texture of greens - slow , full thick growth.

7 over (9 holes)- but who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Some great scores above lads - great stuff

Played well - but couldn't get the unusual texture of greens - slow , full thick growth.

7 over (9 holes)- but who cares.

Yeah, same here. Very slow. Suspect the dry weather means cutting is not a great idea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

1st drive, right down the middle! Man that felt good. 2nd shot in the bunker and it took 3 to get out (new wedges) to finish with an 8, but didn't care :)

34 points overall, which i was happy enough with. Drove really well, and putting was ok. Long irons punished me again, so i really need to work on that over the next few weeks. Course was in great condition, though the greens were pretty slow. Looked fantastic.

Delighted to be back, and can't wait to get out there again.

That's great scoring, from looking at pics the course looks amazing. Few more weeks till i get to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭benny79

Its great to be alive and able to chase a little white ball around a field again :D

Played 9 yesterday evening bliss.

46 strokes or 17 pts was impressed to be honest no scratches and no GIR ha.. a few thinned chips and wayward drives but thats to be expected. Greens where very hairy and long which was usual as they are normally lightening but I'm sure theres a reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

benny79 wrote: »
    Its great to be alive and able to chase a little white ball around a field again :D

Played 9 yesterday evening bliss.

46 strokes or 17 pts was impressed to be honest no scratches and no GIR ha.. a few thinned chips and wayward drives but thats to be expected. Greens where very hairy and long which was usual as they are normally lightening but I'm sure theres a reason for it.

Welcome back to the real world Benny, Our greens looked and rolled super but it was like putting on glue just like what a lot of lads on here were saying about their greens but what the hell, just hit the putts harder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭benny79

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Welcome back to the real world Benny, Our greens looked and rolled super but it was like putting on glue just like what a lot of lads on here were saying about their greens but what the hell, just hit the putts harder

Ha... Loads of putts I hit bang on line and were just a foot short but unbelievable to be back I appreciated every shot even the really bad ones :D

Big improvement today.

Well to start the weather was better and the cob webs were gone. Basically hit 1 bad shot and 35 good ones for level par over 9 holes.

Delighted - was out with friends too. Hadn't seen them obviously - both love their golf.

Ball was travelling serious distances - again you can see an unusual secondary growth on the greens making them more full ,like us all, the greens seem to be doing their own growth and hair cuts. The general look of the fairways and course is incredible.

So many things to be positive about at present. Won the skins -but can't get the fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

2nd day out and loved it again.
    Only 30 today off 13
    4 scratched
    2 birdies
    6 pars
    5 bogeys
    1 dbl bogey
    When concentration was on it was good but tending to not focus enough on either tee shots or putting.
    Had an Eagle putt on par 5 from 15 feet which was nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

89 off 13. A few doubles but nothing worse. Not a good score but considering being thrown into it after a 2 month hiatus and not having played summer rules until now I'm actually happy enough. Didnt make a single putt that wasnt a short one.

Had I had a 100 I still would be happy just to be out tbh.

Advertisement