Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

PTH2009 wrote:
    oh god if it isnt Metallica than all hell will break loose here lol

It ll be metallica, and it probably won't sell out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ghost would be great support, wouldn't sell alot of tickets probably but solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

I'd love to see ghost but not sure if slane is the right venue for them. Perhaps the oddessy in Belfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    I'd love to see ghost but not sure if slane is the right venue for them. Perhaps the oddessy in Belfast

They played in the daylight on open air stages when supporting Iron Maiden on the Book of Souls Tour in North America and from the videos I've seen, they were fine so I can't see Slane being an issue

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Imagine it ended up being Ed Sheeran announced for Slane after his tour announcement for next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Imagine it ended up being Ed Sheeran announced for Slane after his tour announcement for next year

Would Sheeran’s crowd sell as much booze as Metallica’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

Wooderson wrote: »
    Would Sheeran’s crowd sell as much booze as Metallica’s?

If they're selling smirnoff ice and gin & tonic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I thought RHCP were brilliant at Slane headlining a brilliant line up.
    Had the crowd in the palm of their hand throughout.

Won’t be going to this one Slane is a pain as a venue and I’m too old for it at this stage.

Last time I saw Metallica was in Marley Park a few years ago and they were great.

Nothing will beat the Top Hat gig though back in the 80s. That’s a night that will stay in the memory forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

There really is a lack of stadium acts doing the rounds these days. Rod Stewart for PUC and mettallica for Slane. Hardly current, but obviously nostalgia still has some pulling power.

tototoe wrote: »
    There really is a lack of stadium acts doing the rounds these days. Rod Stewart for PUC and mettallica for Slane. Hardly current, but obviously nostalgia still has some pulling power.

sign of an industry in serious trouble maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

adox wrote: »
    I thought RHCP were brilliant at Slane headlining a brilliant line up.
    Had the crowd in the palm of their hand throughout.

Won’t be going to this one Slane is a pain as a venue and I’m too old for it at this stage.

Last time I saw Metallica was in Marley Park a few years ago and they were great.

Nothing will beat the Top Hat gig though back in the 80s. That’s a night that will stay in the memory forever.

Ah yes. The Top Hat. Danzig were great that night as well. Seen Metallica many times since but never as good as back then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Agreed on this about the acts

Last year was awful I thought

This year I’m going across the pond to UK to see more acts
    I’m making it my business in Ireland to see ozzy and Slane- Metallica
    Then off to UK for download festival and what other acts that are on
    Hopefully machine head , trivium do European tours and others - Rammstein and so on (whoever I like )
    I’ve given up on ireland it’s been awful

Maiden were very good in Belfast (NI) tho !!

So ya More UK gigs for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Wanderer78 wrote:

Definitely for stadium acts anyway. They just dont exist..sheeran and the like excepted. The feile thing looks ridiculous as well. Sold out my eye, one stand and no pitch standing. Lols

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Because it's over... When the big guns die out we will have a barren wasteland

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Because it's over... When the big guns die out we will have a barren wasteland

It's sad. They are all coming to an end, I'm spending the next few years seen what I can.
    Ed Sheeran and coldplay is what we're left with :(

rob316 wrote: »
    It's sad. They are all coming to an end, I'm spending the next few years seen what I can.
    Ed Sheeran and coldplay is what we're left with :(

smaller venue gigs are much better anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

wally1990 wrote: »
    Agreed on this about the acts

Last year was awful I thought

Hopefully machine head , trivium do European tours and others - Rammstein and so on (whoever I like )

Yeah but I had the stones in Croke Park and Billy Joel (I knw not rock) in the Aviva but had to travel to the UK to see Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Trivium apart from In Waves, toured here on every other album (didn't tour Europe on first album at all) so couldn't rule them stopping over when doing festivals, Machine Head have toured here more than most and don't do festivals btw certainly not Download after last time. Rammstein sold out here last tour so could see them coming back.

Would suggest European festivals above DL, bands outside the headliners get longer sets, better late night options and it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Standing/sitting 100m away from the band with 200 quid tickets, terrible sound, watching the act on a screen. People are bored of stadiums now.

About time too.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    smaller venue gigs are much better anyway

100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭BurnUp78

I think everyone would prefer their favourite artists to play in an arena or smaller anyway. Went to Slane twice and didn't enjoy the experience at all, I'm guessing croke park and the Aviva would be a similar experience ie. Poor sound, huge queues for drinks, overpriced food, filled with people who aren't even fans of the band etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Trivium apart from In Waves, toured here on every other album (didn't tour Europe on first album at all) so couldn't rule them stopping over when doing festivals, Machine Head have toured here more than most and don't do festivals btw certainly not Download after last time. Rammstein sold out here last tour so could see them coming back.

Would suggest European festivals above DL, bands outside the headliners get longer sets, better late night options and it's a hell of a lot cheaper.
    I actually saw Trivium in Dublin on their last tour and rammstein last time they played Dublin
    Missed machine head !

Is there a good website to keep track of metal bands touring besides keeping an eye on ticketmaster or individual band websites. ? Be handy .
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I actually saw Trivium in Dublin on their last tour and rammstein last time they played Dublin
    Missed machine head !

Is there a good website to keep track of metal bands touring besides keeping an eye on ticketmaster or individual band websites. ? Be handy .
    Cheers

Songkick is decent

https://www.songkick.com/

Missed machine head !

Cheers

Last Trivium show was a cracker, Rammstein gig is still probably the measuring stick for every other for me since gig since! seen them twice since very reliable but that Dublin show untouchable.

I Second Songkick allows you to track your favourite artists and get notified if they are playing locations you have entered as preference

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    I think everyone would prefer their favourite artists to play in an arena or smaller anyway. Went to Slane twice and didn't enjoy the experience at all, I'm guessing croke park and the Aviva would be a similar experience ie. Poor sound, huge queues for drinks, overpriced food, filled with people who aren't even fans of the band etc.

I’ve been to Croke Park twice for gigs and both times the sound was absolutely atrocious. Bouncing off the stands etc. it’s no way a venue for concerts.
    At least Slane is a sort of natural amphitheater.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭endainoz

Wanderer78 wrote:

I doubt it, with the amount of festivals on and selling well these days, can't see it slowing down any time soon. That said, if the tickets for this are gonna be as expensive as rumoured, can't see it selling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭endainoz

Agreed on the stadium gigs too, at least in Ireland. Sound was terrible of Springsteen in croke park, unless you were up close. Not much better for AC/DC in the Aviva either. But saw AC/DC in Wembley the same week and the sound was much better, and louder too.

Local residents or decibel laws maybe?

endainoz wrote:

I'd imagine noise laws are similar, but could be wrong, seen metallica in Wembley before, and the sound was also pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

endainoz wrote: »
    Agreed on the stadium gigs too, at least in Ireland. Sound was terrible of Springsteen in croke park, unless you were up close. Not much better for AC/DC in the Aviva either. But saw AC/DC in Wembley the same week and the sound was much better, and louder too.

Sound engineers/tech used and/or your position relative to the speaker layout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

endainoz wrote: »
    I doubt it, with the amount of festivals on and selling well these days, can't see it slowing down any time soon. That said, if the tickets for this are gonna be as expensive as rumoured, can't see it selling out.

Concerts used to be fairly cheap and records expensive. Now music is practically free so the gigs are a lot more expensive. They have to make their money some how!

Advertisement