Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Goodshape wrote: »
    Nothing like a bit of loose improvisation to wrap up a "nine part saga" :)

Once the mouse got involved, the biggest improvisation was apt to be the number of parts in the saga!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Goodshape wrote: »
    Nothing like a bit of loose improvisation to wrap up a "nine part saga" :)

+1

Gutted Johnson isnt doing IX :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Oscar Isaac Says Star Wars: Episode IX Is 'Looser' and More Improvisational Than Past Films

This is a nice way of saying JJ started shooting without a finished script again.

It genuinely baffles me how often that seems to happen on big Hollywood blockbuster movies costing hundreds of millions of dollars. That a release date is anounced by the studio before a writer has put a single pen mark on a page. Rarely does filming with a first draught, incomplete script turn out well for the final film.
    What's even more baffling is the fact that doing so had a clear and quantifiable cost, the millions spent on reshooting huge chunks of the film (to which Starwars is no stranger) to retroactively fix what could have been avoided by having a damn script.
    By failing at the very simple basics, starting out with a finished, tight script, studios are effectively pissing tens of millions up a wall that needn't have been spent.

I can't say I'm optimistic for 9 either way. Abrahams is not a story teller that has, even once IMO, managed to stick the landing with a satisfying third act. In which case improvisation might not be a bad thing... unless we're talking Ghostbusters 2016 levels of improv, in which case... /shudder..

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

https://movieweb.com/empire-strikes-back-last-jedi-comparisons-reviews/

Excellent article comparing similar ESB fan/critic backlash in 1980. Best thing to do with these new movies is watch them in the cinema, then take out the DVD in 10 years time, then decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Keep seeing this shite and it's a load of old bollocks.

Fans did NOT "hate" 'The Empire Strikes Back' when it came out. Ridiculous nonsense.

As for some critics reviews, you need only to take a look at the critic involved. The likes of Vincent Canby or Pauline Kael wouldn't have given any sci-fi movie a universally positive review in 1980 anyway.

It's laughable that the defenders of these sequels KEEP having to crap on the original films to try and minimise the negative impact 'The Last Jedi'.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I thought the prequels were shit 10 years ago. I still think they're shit 10 years later, and I'll still think they're shit in another 10 years.

I'm 99.9% sure my opinion on The Last Jedi won't change in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    Wedwood wrote: »
    https://movieweb.com/empire-strikes-back-last-jedi-comparisons-reviews/

Excellent article comparing similar ESB fan/critic backlash in 1980. Best thing to do with these new movies is watch them in the cinema, then take out the DVD in 10 years time, then decide.

absolute nonsense.

TLJ is just a really sh!te film and time will actually make it worse IMO.

I went into that film wanting to like it with lots of goodwill :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I thought TFA was only OK - good to see some Star Wars in the cinema, head and shoulders better than the prequels, but painfully unoriginal. It reminded me of Return of the Jedi - no ideas? lets have another attack on another Death Star, that's what worked the first time!

But I really liked Rogue One despite its disjointed first half, so I was willing to believe TLJ could be better than TFA - Luke would be back, the EpIV recycling was done, no reason why this couldn't be good AND original.

So it was a crushing disappointment. I kept my yap shut as we left the cinema in case the kids liked it (they are too young to have seen the prequels at the cinema, so these new movies are their first experience) but they absolutely hated it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

absolute nonsense.

TLJ is just a really sh!te film and time will actually make it worse IMO.

Keep your cacks on, you're not being forced to like the movie. The article merely highlights many people/critics didn't originally know what to make of ESB originally, the universal reverence came a few years later.

BTW, as someone old enough to remember the original releases, Hamill was frequently cited in the media as being 'wooden' and the weak link of the main cast. In TLJ, despite his dislike for the direction RJ took the character, Hamill actually gives his best performance in the role.

Anyway, relax, "goody two shoes" Luke will Return in Episode 9 !

The article merely highlights many people/critics didn't originally know what to make of ESB originally

No, it doesn't.

It's merely a handful of, not so glowing, reports. It doesn't indicate "many" at all.
    BTW, as someone old enough to remember the original releases,

I'm old enough to remember it too, which is why I know that articles of that type are absolute bollocks. There was no level of vitriol or even disappointment towards 'The Empire Strikes Back' like there is with 'The Last Jedi'. It's not even a small percentage of it.

Sure, there were some folk that didn't like it. But, there are some folk that don't like it today. That's a general thing with films. And there were some folk that were a bit iffy with the open ended nature of a middle act film, who understood its place better after watching 'Return of the Jedi'.

But what there weren't, were folk who just completely lost interest due to how bad they thought the film was, like there is with 'The Last Jedi'. A film which has killed, stone dead, a lot of fans (and casuals) interest in where these sequels are going. And no, they probably won't come round in ten years time either, because there's just too much in 'The Last Jedi' that's, flat out, awful, and it will stay awful. That's not something that can be said about Episode V.

There's simply no comparison to 'The Empire Strikes Back' at all, in any way.

However, if you do want a comparison, you need only to look at the reaction to the prequels, which severely divided audiences. However, in recent times, some former "haters" have come to accept them, if not actually like them. This is, more likely, a possible future for Rian Johnson's effort. It certainly isn't going to be, almost, universally loved. That's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Tony EH wrote: »
    However, if you do want a comparison, you need only to look at the reaction to the prequels, which severely divided audiences. However, in recent times, some former "haters" have come to accept them, if not actually like them. This is, more likely, a possible future for Rian Johnson's effort. It certainly isn't going to be, almost, universally loved. That's for sure.

One thing I do credit the prequels for, that has become more apparent with the new sequels, is how much of a universe there was in them. There was an effort in them to create new planets, ships, and aliens. Put in better dialogue and cut out some of the silly stuff (younglings, mediclorians, Yoda saber fight, Jar Jar) and you have three prequels that at least were ambitious in expanding the Star Wars universe.

TFA, though enjoyable, was a nostalgia trip and I've never really felt the urge to repeat watch it. TLJ was just bland and as much as it tried to "be different" it didn't really offer much different at all, was rarely exciting and made Star Wars feel small in scale. It did have some great visuals though that does stand out from anything previous Star Wars movies have done... even that though made it feel a bit jarring from what should be one 9-part saga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I liked the last jedi in itself as a film but it didn't do much for the overall story. Felt very much like Disney wanted their cake and eat it too i.e hire the prestige director but then get freaked when he did his own thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Nice photo. Title reveal and first teaser aren't far away.

https://twitter.com/jjabrams/status/1096496364576493568

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Really looking forward to this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 filters

It will be the case study in years to come, How to kill a franchise by pandering to the vocal minority, and alienating your core fan base.
    We all thought the prequels where bad, little did we know what was in store for the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

tigger123 wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this.

I am as well, mostly hoping they can tie it together somewhat neatly and re-introduce elements teased in TFA that were entirely missing in TLJ.

TFA was way too familiar but very competent, TLJ was much fresher and the best parts of it were far better than TFA, but it involved some very questionable creative and narrative decisions.

There is a middle ground, and at this point I'd have much more faith in JJ than Rian in delivering that for the last film.
    We all thought the prequels where bad, little did we know what was in store for the series.

They're bad but they've got good spirit and world building at least, the new films are way better films, but I wouldn't rate them much higher than Phantom Menance or ROTS as Star Wars films.

Attack of the Clones is a total abomination though. I think time has been a lot kinder to Phantom Menance than we thought it would be. Horribly marred by terrible creative/narrative choices too, but good fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

JJ threw a bunch of Mystery Boxes into the story, strangling the trilogy with question marks; Johnson did his best to out them to bed (or failed to, depending on who you asked but inquire liked making Rey parentage irrelevant to her own growth). The trick will be getting Abrams to out the remaining items to bed, which is not his strong suit. Too lazy to check do dunno if he's penning Episode IX, but if he is I'd have little faith he can write an ending worth a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

filters wrote: »
    It will be the case study in years to come, How to kill a franchise by pandering to the vocal minority, and alienating your core fan base.

I was one of what would likely be called the core Base of fans, and was disappointed with VII and to a lesser extent VIII, but when I seen how much my kids enjoyed them, and got into all the characters and then playing out the films when they were running around the house, it dawned on me that maybe the new films weren't aged at middle aged men?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

NIMAN wrote: »
    disappointed with VII and to a lesser extent VIII, but when I seen how much my kids enjoyed them
    My teenagers loved TFA, weren't bothered by the lack of originality since they never saw SW on the big screen before.

They both hated TLJ - bad star wars movie and a bad movie too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My teenagers loved TFA, weren't bothered by the lack of originality since they never saw SW on the big screen before.

They both hated TLJ - bad star wars movie and a bad movie too.

You're right, I got them the wrong way round.
    TLJ wasn't good.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    JJ threw a bunch of Mystery Boxes into the story, strangling the trilogy with question marks; Johnson did his best to out them to bed (or failed to, depending on who you asked but inquire liked making Rey parentage irrelevant to her own growth). The trick will be getting Abrams to out the remaining items to bed, which is not his strong suit. Too lazy to check do dunno if he's penning Episode IX, but if he is I'd have little faith he can write an ending worth a damn.

As far as I'm concerned, RJ didn't even bother with JJ's boxes and chucked everything over his shoulder, Skywalker style.

But, yeh, JJ wrote this one as well :( , which is extremely unfortunate as he (and RJ) are absolutely wretched screenwriters. Chris Terrio has a second writer credit, which doesn't fill me with any excitement either.

TBH, I think most folk just want this whole thing over and done with, with as much damage limitation as possible. However, I think this is probably the last we'll ever see of these characters which is good news considering just how paper thin they've all been, and coupled with a non-existent story to boot.

Bad reaction to 'The Last Jedi' and the absolute disaster that was 'Solo' have put Disney in a spin. I think they're just quietly going to let the sequel era die and start concentrating on other areas. They've already clammed up on all of their future film projects and are only soft promoting their new TV stuff now. I think that will, probably, remain the course until IX is out and the reaction gauged.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

f8c2egek3oo21.jpg

leaked poster

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But supposedly not necessarily the theatrical poster, it's suggested it's more likely a poster used for marketing promotions etc. as the leak was from that department

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Knights of Ren, nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I loved Star Wars so much but I just cant get excited about this one and it saddens me. The last Jedi was just awful. All of it.
    Princess Leia flying through space...I honestly didn't know where to look. I thought someone was doing a piss take.
    It was one of the worst scenes in movie history. And Luke dying on the rock, pathetic stuff. Now I just don't care what happens. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Threepio with a bowcaster and bandolier is making me think bullshít. I do like the look of the Knights of Ren though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

no R2 but we do get the alien from Mac & Me all grown up though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Poe looks cool, but I don't like Rey's white outfit and Kylo having his helmet back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Skerries wrote: »
    no R2 but we do get the alien from Mac & Me all grown up though

...the fuck is that thing? Can they go one movie without lumping in some goofy looking alien in with main cast? Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Relikk wrote: »
    ...the fuck is that thing? Can they go one movie without lumping in some goofy looking alien in with main cast? Meh.

Looks like a retarded slug with an alien facehugger stuck to the back of his head.

Advertisement