Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New House Design Review please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭magnethead

If going with glazing over your dining area, bring an elec cable to that area also. Some of the skylight companies have optional motors for window opening/closing ..I'd be surprised if they didn't have motorized blinds also.

I was thinking of an automatic skylight in the atic, maybe pointing down over the stairs as a heatdump, if the house was overheating.
    I know Velux do one's that detect rain too (auto close) so maybe I could configure it to, open at a certain heat downstairs. I know my sister is in a super insulated, blocks on their side, internal walls, with 150mm black insulated ash blocks(something like that) on the outside, underfloor everywhere, but floor to ceiling south facing windows, she has 2M over hangs, contemporary style box house, but on a HOT summer day, it overheats, she just opens the wall, to let it out though so not much of a problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

magnethead wrote: »
    I was thinking of an automatic skylight in the atic, maybe pointing down over the stairs as a heatdump, if the house was overheating.
    I know Velux do one's that detect rain too (auto close) so maybe I could configure it to, open at a certain heat downstairs. I know my sister is in a super insulated, blocks on their side, internal walls, with 150mm black insulated ash blocks(something like that) on the outside, underfloor everywhere, but floor to ceiling south facing windows, she has 2M over hangs, contemporary style box house, but on a HOT summer day, it overheats, she just opens the wall, to let it out though so not much of a problem.

Could also set it to open on smoke activation.
    Makes a clear escape route in the case of fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

magnethead wrote: »

Probably a better strategy to prevent it overheating as opposed to venting excess heat if at all possible.

Just to throw up a quick 3D overview, the Glass conservatory roof does not look as ascetically pleasing just yet :), but then none of the finishes have being put on yet.

rampantbunny: I'll come back to your previous directions soon, I have all the internal layout created, I just need to add a few symbols (and fix the damn stairs :)) to make it more realistic looking and get a sense of space of proportion :)
    Like most people looking at the picture below won't realize that the south facing Glass sliding door is 4Metres wide!!!
    The West side directly faces the Road and looks in on the Open plan that's why I want that window a little higher and wider then normal, Like one of those gunports they stick in contemporary buildings.
    I'm aware of the interference problem, with the window over the garage, it's over the stairwell

35.JPG?raw=1

Going to a Self Build course on Saturday :) -snip-

so I expect to be better able to talk building turkey when I come back......Hopefully ;p

I found the 3 side fireplace you were taking about in the Red Cow hotel :)

36.JPG?raw=1

Not for us, Definitely going to be a Wood/Zombie burner.

Good Article here on a Howth Terrance that was made open plan...key quote here
    They spent many months figuring out how to make the space work in a contemporary and user-friendly way without sacrificing the building’s character. A priority was to centre the home on an open-plan living space but to ensure additional intimate reception rooms.
    “A real downside to the current trend for ultra-modern open-plan spaces is that there are no rooms to withdraw into. Apart from being unable to hear because of activity in the kitchen or people going up and down stairs, there has to be somewhere to escape to,” says Mack.

Article
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/slick-sutton-coastguard-station-transformation-for-995-000-1.2869034

I think we are covered for "Private space" with the library/office hopefully.

Does any have experience with Long Open plan space like this please?

Still working on the 3D internals.....ran into a few Chief Bugs, that I'm working through....and sourced most of the models I need, but trying to get everything free in a pain in the h*&e.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi, can you drop in a curved stairwell without too much hassle? I know hollowcore and solid slab all come in rectangular sections, so the sister just has a straight stairs going up into a rectangular cutout in her seconds floor, that's supported with steel.

But I was thinking , maybe with the poured floors in ICF, you could make a Circular section like this? or is this definitely going to need a Curved piece of steel under the lip? (shipyard from England - I don't think they make curved RSJ's in Ireland)

Thanks
    37.JPG?raw=1

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭bemak

I've enjoyed reading how you describe your design as it has evolved and while I admire your enthusiasm I can't help but think how great a project this could be with an architect on board. When I saw your sisters house from Google Earth I had to look it up as it seems very interesting - when I saw who the architect was I wasn't surprised at all. It's a quality house. Therefore, rather than give my two cents (I'm also an architect) I think it would be worthwhile considering approaching the same architect that designed your sisters house - even just to get you through planning. 
    There would be multiple benefits to this approach - the main of which is that you'd be getting a very good architect who is already very familiar with the site!
    If you're determined not to go down this route and want to plough on yourself, I think it's vital that you consider your approach in context. Get a site survey done sooner rather than later - you'll need it anyway. Just make sure all the immediate context is included such as neighbouring houses etc. From here then, reevaluate your design in terms of optimum site layout and make it work at this level. Then start working out optimum room locations (in basic block forms). If needs be, revert back to your site layout and adjust according to requirements at room layout scale. One you have the rooms located the way you want, interrogate them and revise. Then get into the detail of circulation, openings etc. Only then can you start to think about a stair detail! You're jumping into the detail side of things way too early - I don't think you've resolved anything yet at a basic level.

bemak: It's like you've known me all my life :D "You're jumping into the detail side of things way too early"..DOn't know how many times I've heard that.

I'm not against Architects, I'd love to have one onboard but it's really down to cost (more expensive then ever to build now)..and My sister would have a lot more funds than me..For an architect to take anything to planning the RAI people recommend 45% fee, which is about 14K from most of the architects I was talking to.
    Another difference between us, is my sister is waay more concerned what people would think about her house looks :)
    Myself and the wife are much more concerned with the living space and honestly don't give much of a rats what people think of the exterior.

My sister broke 90K before breaking ground (was a bit excessive, changed architect 3 times, poured 12K right there down the drain on the first two attempts, completely her fault, very fussy) :eek: won't be happening to me I can tell you.

THanks for your advise though, I appriciate it, you reminded me of a youtube Video I was watching about designing with bubbles months ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmHoGicPQQQ

THe site Survey was done on the entire site (Myself and my sisters plot at the time) DO you think that would cut the mustard? or do you still think I would need to get one?
    Holes were dug on my side and I have all the levels...basically flat.

I am enjoying the project as I do more research, and wallowing around in the ignorance of never having gone through a Self-build is just delightful, sure what could go wrong? :)

I hadn't touched CAD in 12 years, so it was a bit of fun knocking the designs up...

and my secret weapon is that I know everyone VERY WELL on this road (all architect designed houses) and I have talked to them all, about the pro's and cons of their houes, from second floor exposure to not enough of the house surface area facing south.
    Sure look at the tall, skinny, elongated red roofed house at the north end of the road, sticking it's skinny arse at the south sun!! That was another (designed 25 years ago) now high flying architect from Dublin City, and don't get me started with the tight spaces in that house, I know it's impossible to make a perfect design.....but most people on the lane talk about light, so we're going to open the south side with glass.

But We've been in a few houes with open plans and really really love, them....so when you say to me that I haven't though it through at the basic level, I'm really scratching my head, as to what I missed...because I strecthed the living space as long as I could along the sun path, someone mentioned taking it up to the planning permission line max, which is a good idea, but at 200M2, it's already big enough.

With regards to the stairs, It wasn't until I was standing in the hall, that I released, the landing had to be curved to lovely northern light in the hall area...originally it was a square landing.

Forgive the Lisscannor stone facade on the model below, I still haven't worked out how to make the material properly :rolleyes:

39-1.JPG?raw=1

39-2.JPG?raw=1

39-3.JPG?raw=1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Looks nice there. Probably discussed already, but can't remember, but changing the door from the Plant room to coming into the Futility room (Ha, Ha,).
    Consider bringing in shopping etc or coming in working gear from the garage.

Ah yeah, I've been real busy (xmas busiest time of year) lately...(Haven't had a chance to update these plans)..I plan on moving that door alright, the misses is giving out about losing room in the futility though....

THe Garage will never have a Car in it, except for repair...It's more of a hobby shop for myself.. :)

But good point, about the shopping shopping, we'll have to drag it a little further then normal..but it's a sacrifice I can take, as we've played musical chairs with the rooms for long enough ;p

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Looks nice there. Probably discussed already, but can't remember, but changing the door from the Plant room to coming into the Futility room (Ha, Ha,).
    Consider bringing in shopping etc or coming in working gear from the garage.

+1
    As I don't think you will have the head room for the door under the stairs.
    Or you could pull the stairs forward more of you really wanted to keep the door there.

By my count, it's 9 steps up, which gives a head height of less than 1.7m.

Where is the chimney from the fireplace going?
    I'd have the library space door from the hallway myself.

That fridge position is very limiting on the worktop space in the utility. Much more so than the door. Nice idea but can it move?

Thanks for the replies, the stair model is complete wrong...I need to make that small landing area, into steps, and the twp parts where the stairs rise are at different inclines :) so I'll get that sorted.
    We were planning on putting in one of those secret doors/ moving library shelf thing from the Sitting room area, but if we don't go with that, the door in the hall is probably a better option.

I don't think the fridge can move, unless you mean within the Utility space? The Kitchen space is boxed off (literally) ...so we can't eat into that

I will come back with a more developed plan soon. Thanks

Also with Regards to the site, we are in a perfect box, aligned with the poles, something stretched out along the sunpath is what we're after, and since I've been told, the more square and simple you keep it, the cheaper it'll be.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Stack the bathrooms, locate wc to future proof ie a downstairs en-suite. Reduce the corridors upstairs and arrange hall to provide storage. External design is poor! the circular yoke.. Perhaps a passive house assessment might explain the heat loss of the oversized n/e/w glazing. Open plan needs needs a floor to ceiling of 2.7m min. You haven't thought out your kitchen have you?, put in the units / island and think about how the open plan space will work - Are you having a bowling alley between the kitchen/living? considering the dinning table is pushed out into the circular yoke.. If you're trying to do this on the cheap, what about taking 200mm of the perimeter @ ~ 8m2 X 2 floors = full professional design certification and money left over to pay a builder to do the fabric details correctly.. Best of luck, I won't be commenting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

OP, just to comment on something you said there ....having an architect is nothing to do with what the house looks like ...its designing a space that works for you both inside and out. Taking into consideration your budget, the aspect and the site.

14k on the price of YOUR FOREVER HOME is a very small price to pay, you will be living with the mistakes you make every single day!

Looking at your plans, and having just finished the extremely long and detailed design process with an architect for my own house, I would definitely absolutely bring someone on board.

BryanF: I had to re-read my previous post again, 'lack of tack' is another thing I get regularly accused of :DI'm guessing you're an architect, and I apologise to you and other architects out there because, it wasn't fair what i said, I was ranting. again, you shouldn't be offended, I've only being researching the house building since just before the Self-Build expo in Citywest, so whatever I say on architecture carries little weight. and I know I'm at a disadvantage, and architect of course will see a hundred things that I won't.

Everyone has particulars needs from a house, and we have talked about them between us. we've lived in a lot of apartment and now a 2 story house so we have experience of what works. My skills as a Mechanical Eng in a past life, and an avid DIY guy,(and of course, finding out all the hidden costs in building a one off) push me in the direction of attempting to design with my wife the house. I'll be happy as long as it's airtight(good builder) ..the kinda people who stress over the smallest mistakes, like an identical flooring board placed next to another one, are perfectionists :Dbut yeah, I'd probably rip the floor up and relay it too ;p
    THe passion the architect had building my sisters house was impressive, it took the design really personally, and looked after it with a serious level of detail, the builder had a library of drawings when he was finished. He even was back a few times (after having signed off) cleaning up some minor details (at his own cost), just because he liked the project so much.

Thanks for your points, the plan is once we get the stairs fixed, to put in storage under the nearside set, and leave the second set open, the door has been removed from that wall now.

One house on the lane, has a 5M !! sliding door facing directly south, great for light. My sisters kitchen door is just 4950mm (Wall to 3M ceiling) according to the planning docs ;p Both Aluminium framed at that size. and her Sitting room has two massive 4M almost floor to ceiling Windows also.

I'm using Chief architect x7 (which is extremely user friendly) at the moment, but 'upgrading' today to x8 because it's really improved the cabinet functions :) so the Kitchen will not be too far away.

That 'CIRCULAR YOKE' is my design flair LOL :)
    We plan to have built in sitting going around the inside, kinda like a booth.

I agree completely with you, the outside design is as basic as it gets, that's actually the main reason I threw it up on boards. But again, we're fairly low on the airs and graces, so I would just be overjoyed to get into the house as it actually is without a Mortgage that will give me a heart attack :mad:

We never planned on putting an Island into the Kitchen? (I didn't think we'd have the room, and not really a big fan of the few I've seen)

Thanks for the 2.7M ceiling, we had the measuring tape out as a coincidence last night, 2.5M downstairs in this old place and 2.4 upstairs, checked the neighbouring house to our site, and it has 2.7M downstairs with a 0.3M false ceiling, and 2.4M upstairs, so we stuck those heights, and the false ceiling in the plan now.

Going to be interesting getting a COST plan on this before planning, could be a right kick in the arse LOL

mrsWhippy: Thanks, we are very familiar with the site, and it's relatively tight, small garden, and due to council conditions, we gotta build behind a house line, and a Biocycle has a 7M Radius from it's edge, so our garden area is already predefined (we're boxed in literally..ba bom ;p). It's really just the house that's up for playing with.

I've looked at a lot of houses, and (architects please cover your eyes for this part) ....as far as I'm concerned, they are just boxes, so I get what the guy was doing in the previous youtube vid...in terms of laying out the living space.....but an awful lot of houses I look at, are basically square with a few little pretty details, like Dutch windows, windows stepped directly out, basically just the skin of the box broken up which does make it look prettier, but always adds cost.

Again, maybe aesthetics are lost on the engineer in me :confused:

I'll try to post up some design developments soon.

locate wc to future proof ie a downstairs en-suite. Reduce the corridors upstairs and arrange hall to provide storage

I think the location of the Toilet as it is, is good enough, if the library was converted to an old age bedroom....(maybe if there was a door into the hall)
    I'll get the 90 year old granny out and time her on the way to the bathroom, I could be underestimating the speed an older person needs to get to the toilet :P
    but if you're referring to being in a state where, you literally need to be lifted to a near bathroom(a bad state)...I plan to travel to Switzerland, if that ever becomes a possibility.

We plan on a foldup stairs entering the Atic which is primarily used for storage...the kids rooms will have full wall cabinets...along with the Spare room becoming a dumping ground I can imagine..
    But you are right, long corridors are a waste of space.....I saw that mentioned in the 'what I would do differently thread' on the stickies.

I'll come back to that, knocking out the kitchen now I got the update to x8

Rough Kitchen design..We are going with tiles, just haven't picked them out yet...but this is the overall layout we're thinking about.

I was right about the x8...It's a piece of piss to throw this together.

The Oven in the Corner may be an issue? Do you really need access on both sides?
    I've at least tried to respect the holy triangle of Fridge,Hob, Sink....
    It's 2.7M to the Sink from the edge of the fridge
    and it's 2.9M from the back Counter to the edge of the forward counter where the Hob is....
    So a nice square of space, but too small to put an island in of course.

Lighting is terrible in this!! I haven't sorted it out yet... THere is a light source(even though you can't see it) in the middle of the room, around the height of a persons head, hence the shadows on the rear cabinets flowing up at the top.
    Plan to add plenty of lights..under cabinet..etc..and inside the top glass door cabinets.

49.JPG?raw=1

A matter of your choice. Could you make the small L that is nearside, either a little breakfast top, round it? Or else drop it altogether. Better kitchen access and make better use of the corner space if it is just straight on the wall.

I like the breakfast bar Idea, ok, a Round piece at the end...might do away with the cabinets underneath as, purpose built one's will add up.....I'll just stick a pole under for Support.
    I'll have to check with the misses if, that's enough cabinets already...Hopefully the Futility room, will Cover anything else.

It's 1.5M at the moment from the edge of the doorframe to the counter, I'll try to at least hold that distance or improve it.
    The L you were talking about, was that coming back into the kitchen space(wrapping the counter around on itself), or did you mean breaking the counter and pulling the L shape down into the dining room space? I don't really want ot extend the kitchen too far south of that line.

• Advertisement

If you use it as a breakfast bar, that a good use. Otherwise drop that piece altogether is what I was saying.

Got ya, yeah, the only reason it was going in, was because the misses wanted the Hob at an angle..
    just checked, she likes the closed in effect, so I guess breakfast bar it is :)

Yeah, see a little girl, 10 years, on the Toy Show, who likes her house designing, saying, the woman is usually the fussy one about details in the kitchen and Diarmuid Bannon looks after them. Not very PC, but the truth as we all know.

Hob in corner at angle - how will extraction system look?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Not reading all 50 odd posts but oven against wall is wrong in my opinion.
    If herself wants the hob at an angle them put the over in the opposite corner, better use of space that what is in existing layout.

Is the bottom piece in oven a microwave?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Any chance of getting another window in or near the kitchen? The one window probably won't give you enough light IMO.

Water John: Yes, this area is definitely the woman's territory and it starts early, My 2 year old girl has here own kitchen at home now, after she kept arse bumping all the other girls away from the kitchen at the crehe.

Calahonda52: That's a double oven, the Microwave will probably be in the cabinet over it. That's the way we have it in our place at the moment.

kceire: There will be a false Ceiling above, hopefully we can support the extraction unit off the concrete slab above, so you will just see a tube disappearing into the false ceiling and it will connect to the wall while remaining hidden in the ceiling.

The receptionist in work has here sink in a corner position like that, and she says it's a pain working there while people are trying to open the dishwasher door which is right next to it because of the interference angle as it opens.
    So I'll look to move the current dishwasher to the other side of the sink.

I found a cousins friend who has the Oven in the same place, he says to tile up the wall because he has to repaint every few years that area, from splashes of grease. We won't be tiling the kitchen wall :)
    and we might have to live with a repaint if you don't move the Oven.

mrsWhippy: The image I put up, was just my first attempt, the software located the house near the equator at about 120 degrees (we're 53 as you know) ;p If you look at the angle of the sun, it barely comes over the window sill. I will update it.
    The Window is currently, 2M wide by 1.2M high and faces directly south. There will be plenty of sun most of the day, I would like something in the East side, but it's needed for cabinets.
    If you see the ground floor plan on the previous page, there is also some light coming in from the circular yoke there (3 windows in it, but the west side one point at the kitchen) ;p

I've being called away with work for the next week and a half , getting some design advice for snow :D in Canada. in case 1982 ever happens again.

be back after that.

I know you like the 'circular yoke' but I think it's really limiting you, and looks very dated. You wont ever be able to increase the size of your table in the long term either.

I think if you did a ground floor 'extension' from where the outer part of the circular yoke is, and brought it up as far as your kitchen, you could incorporate some sky lights over the sink wall and have a slightly bigger kitchen. It's a very small kitchen for a very large house. Since the dining area will be rectangular, you could have a lovely corner window with 2 large panes of glass which would throw a lot more light into that area, and look a bit more contemporary than the circular area. You could also make this corner glazing a continuation of your sliding door for a really bright and modern seating area.

Let me sketch it very badly for you ....

That's a better design. Its an easier build and probably wouldn't cost any more.
    If the OP thinks about the type of seating he suggested. You have to get the person outside of you to move to let you out, not very practical.
    Most modern designs go as per yours Mrs Whippy.

• Advertisement

Just thinking, those NEFF ovens where the doors come down and slide under the oven might help with the Corner location of the Oven...

Hide and Slide door lower down on this page
    http://ao.com/product/b44m43n3gb-neff-slidehide-electric-single-oven-stainless-steel-28942-45.aspx

mrsWhippy:
    Thanks for the redesign :) The plan was to use one of those, Circular tables, that you can split, and it has rails under, so when you want to expand it, you open it up, and drop in a rectangular piece in the middle, so it goes from a 6 seater to a 10 seater.
    I do like your idea to expand out, and it would indeed let a LOT more light in, which is the name of the game. but the second story would have to supported somehow, That could mean a Lot of steal, trying to hold my tongue here, but the Engineer in my sisters, place, put in 6, 2M * 2M * 2M block foundations, and 8 steel legs about 16" thick, and those legs support a frame around the upper box, so the upper box is self supported, those foundation, had another lean mix foundations, because foundations need foundations :rolleyes:, ..CRAP.....stopping rant :( ok, nothing was Over-Engineered, its' all good, no issues here :D It's a lovely box on another box, I think I that's where I was getting my design style from LOL

Water John: Yes, that booth approach was bothering me :rolleyes: Good way to trap the kids in and keep them at the table..

Ok, I gotta prepare to go, will be back in about 2 weeks.

Advertisement