Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Last clergyman to play inter-county hurling/f'ball

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

If memory serves me correctly the Galway vs Offaly hurling semi final in 1980 featured a priest on each team. Iggy Clarke for Galway and Mick Kennedy for Offaly..

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Father Tommy Maher coached Kilkenny from 1957 to 1978, Father Tommy Murphy Rower Inistoge kilkenny won two senior medals 1967, 1969.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Br Sean Kelly here too. Had him for history for a year at the very beginning of his teaching career, despite being inexperienced he was a brilliant teacher and a really sound guy. He’d have a job on a Monday though after a match trying to teach with all of us trying to get the inside track on the weekends game and his performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Sometimes if their bishop wasnt a sports fan they would play under a false name

Brother Dennis rip a great Laois did tremendous work with a lot of the kilkenny players of the not to distant past was also manager of kilkenny minors in the early 2000nds. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Subacio wrote: »
    If memory serves me correctly the Galway vs Offaly hurling semi final in 1980 featured a priest on each team. Iggy Clarke for Galway and Mick Kennedy for Offaly..

Just watched Iggy's Laochra Gael. What a hurler. It mentioned that when he was in Maynooth studying to be a priest, Sean Silke and Sean Stack were both there too at the time. Were they in the priesthood at some stage as well?

Fr.Paddy Gantly is midfield on the Galway Team of the Millenium- as is Clarke- and if Sikle was in the priesthood too, that would mean that 20% of that team were men of the cloth!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Silke wasn't in the priesthood anyway, worked in HR for many years I believe.
    Players in the priesthood, being forced to miss games thereof, is a recurring theme in the quite recent book 'Will Galway beat Mayo' - many's the promising player had been lost to county colours for taking the cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I believe one Michael Cleary played football for Dublin. He told a story on the Late Late of being forbidden to play in an All-Ireland final while he was in Clonliffe, 1955 I think. He could hear the shouting in Croke Park and was sorely tempted to jump the wall and tog out, but didn't do so. The rest is history.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Strumms wrote: »
    Br Sean Kelly here too. Had him for history for a year at the very beginning of his teaching career, despite being inexperienced he was a brilliant teacher and a really sound guy. He’d have a job on a Monday though after a match trying to teach with all of us trying to get the inside track on the weekends game and his performance.

Do you mind me asking what order he is/was? It’s not Sean Kelly the current provincial of the Capuchin Franciscans is it?

Fr Patsy Carolan played for Cavan in the 1960 Ulster Final against Down. Story goes he snuck out of the seminary to go and play the match and he was only caught when his name was said on the radio that the superiors were listening to at the time. He got into trouble but wasn't expelled because he "played good"

He's still alive today and is still mad about gaa whenever I see him. A very sound man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Do you mind me asking what order he is/was? It’s not Sean Kelly the current provincial of the Capuchin Franciscans is it?

No, he was a Christian Brother... I understand he left them but is still teaching

Strumms wrote: »
    No, he was a Christian Brother... I understand he left them but is still teaching

Hah, no problem. I’ve met the capuchin Brother Sean Kelly loads of times and was thinking surely it wasn’t him, I’d have to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

I would assume most collages All-Irelands in both codes would have been traied by priests or Christian Brothers?

Lot of underage All-Irelands as well minor U21 etc

It's also intereresting how there seems to be a lot more All-Ireland winning priests in hurling than football

• Registered Users Posts: 37,759 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I doubt there holy men in the dressing room/sideline in terms of the language they be using

I went to a Christian brothers school in Waterford in the 2000s which still had a few active brothers with one usually coaching Basketball in which the school was successful a few years prior. There was calls for a rugby team but the rumour was the brothers didn't want it

Mat Ruth that hurled with limerick in the 1974 all Ireland was a Christian brother, he went back to his own county kilkenny one a few all Ireland medals with them when he left the brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Mat Ruth that hurled with limerick in the 1974 all Ireland was a Christian brother, he went back to his own county kilkenny one a few all Ireland medals with them when he left the brothers.

That would be a good trivia question. Player who played in an All-Ireland one year and was in the panel for the opposition the next(I don't think he played in the 1975 final but was part of the panel).

Also Willie Fitzmaurice a priest played for Limerick in the 1980 final.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Fred Daly wrote: »

I assume he left the Christian brothers at some stage, his son is the other Matt Ruth who played for KK!

I assume he left the Christian brothers at some stage, his son is the other Matt Ruth who played for KK!

He was left when he came to hurl with kilkenny1975, his son is Matt Ruth that did play with kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Any Church of Ireland clergy play hurling in Cork or wherever? I mention Cork because of it sometimes throwing up a Protestant hurler like Darren Sweetnam, Joe Deane (could be wrong there,).. Tipp too occasionally but not recently..George Frend that great wing back from the 90s..

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Any Church of Ireland clergy play hurling in Cork or wherever? I mention Cork because of it sometimes throwing up a Protestant hurler like Darren Sweetnam, Joe Deane (could be wrong there,).. Tipp too occasionally but not recently..George Frend that great wing back from the 90s..

A few Monaghan footballers from time to time including currently.
    A letter in a newspaper years ago cited four Counties, Cork, Dublin, Cavan and Louth.
    The last to win a senior All-Ireland medal was a Cavan footballer in 1933. I think his name was George Stephenson.
    The only CofI clergyman I know of who played hurling was Robert Hilliard of Killarney. He didn't play inter-county but he was involved in the revival of the Trinity College hurling club in the 1920s. He boxed for Ireland in the 1924 Olympics, the only non-army man on the boxing team and was beaten by a boxer from Argentina in the first round. He was killed fighting for the Republican side in the Spanish Civil War. It is said that he was the inspiration for the boxing clergyman in The Quiet Man. A fascinating character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

feargale wrote: »
    The only CofI clergyman I know of who played hurling was Robert Hilliard of Killarney. He didn't play inter-county but he was involved in the revival of the Trinity College hurling club in the 1920s. He boxed for Ireland in the 1924 Olympics, the only non-army man on the boxing team and was beaten by a boxer from Argentina in the first round. He was killed fighting for the Republican side in the Spanish Civil War. It is said that he was the inspiration for the boxing clergyman in The Quiet Man. A fascinating character.

Bob Hilliard was a Church of Ireland pastor
    From Killarney across the Pyrenees he came
    From Derry came a brave young Christian Brother
    Side by side they fought and died in Spain

Viva La Quita Brigada - Christy Moore

Fr Tom Scully OMI managed Offlay in the 1969 All Ireland Senior Football Final against Kerry. He passed away this morning at a good old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

thegaelicgame.wordpress.com/2020/05/11/mayo-gaa-mourn-death-of-former-footballer-fr-jj-cribbin/

Another former preist who played intercounty has passed away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Fr Michael Kennedy of Offaly played full back in 1980 breakthrough Leinster final. Has since been a priest in Co. Waterford and has been quite a controversial figure in his parish of Dungarvan when he stood on the pulpit and claimed there was a woman around the town spreading aids. This garnered national attention and he was barred from saying mass for a number of years. He is also a relation of American political family, the Kennedys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

https://www.cumminssports.ie/photos/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/All-Ireland-1966-5.jpg

Frs Seanie Barry and Mick Waters walking into the 1966 senior hurling final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Edgware wrote: »
    Sometimes if their bishop wasnt a sports fan they would play under a false name

My grandad from Tipp played with Dublin in 20s when a clerical student in Kimmage Manor with Holy Ghosts. Played under his real name too. Fortunately he left or was booted out or I would not be here!

There is story that the notorious Fr. Michael Cleary played junior football with Dublin in 1950s. I recall him saying this on TV but he said more than his prayers, the same fkr!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    My grandad from Tipp played with Dublin in 20s when a clerical student in Kimmage Manor with Holy Ghosts. Played under his real name too. Fortunately he left or was booted out or I would not be here!

There is story that the notorious Fr. Michael Cleary played junior football with Dublin in 1950s. I recall him saying this on TV but he said more than his prayers, the same fkr!

I'm not sure, but I think he actually played senior for Dublin. I heard him recount it on tv years ago, Late Late I think. He spoke of not being allowed to play in an All-Ireland final, of being inside Clonliffe where he could hear the roar from Croke Park and was tempted to jump the wall. I'm almost certain it was 1955? He then said: "who cares who won in 1955. I've had a wonderful life."

Fr Michael Kennedy of Offaly played full back in 1980 breakthrough Leinster final. Has since been a priest in Co. Waterford and has been quite a controversial figure in his parish of Dungarvan when he stood on the pulpit and claimed there was a woman around the town spreading aids. This garnered national attention and he was barred from saying mass for a number of years. He is also a relation of American political family, the Kennedys.

That controversy was in Dungarvan in 1995, the week before the hurling final, in which Clare beat his beloved Offaly. I happened to walk past him a few days later and as I did I said "Up the Banner." He put his hand on my shoulder and responded "Every time, boy." He seemed utterly relieved that someone had made a light-hearted remark to him, probably for the first time in a week.
    What he said on the pulpit was utterly stupid, but the press crucified him and I felt sorry for him. He was unfortunate in that his congregation included a pressman whose paper never refused ink.
    I never heard that his priestly faculties were withdrawn for it. I doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Thats where I heard it. His Da had a pub on docks which would have meant his local club was Joeys, who were still senior at time, but he didnt play with Joeys. He would presumably have been studying for priesthood in 1955.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Thats where I heard it. His Da had a pub on docks which would have meant his local club was Joeys, who were still senior at time, but he didnt play with Joeys. He would presumably have been studying for priesthood in 1955.

Was his sister married to a Quinn of Kilbride that played with Meath ,there was a pub out there he used to be in it a lot. Stayed out there while we were doing a job in Fairyhouse.

Advertisement