Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

OLD GIGS 70S, 80S 90S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

What were the Top Hot and SFX like as venues? I remember the Fun Factory being quite big through my young eyes. This is what the Top Hat looks like now from the back (though I reckon it's about two stories higher than what it was before).

KUGqZ6M8mAPCqrKg-6T4acO3u13o7rlRIVVt271tMKRtPXBpZSZlPTQwMHgzMDA=.jpg

Were you sad to see those venues go?

Was never in the Top Hat myself but the SFX should have been revamped and not demolished, I mean in heinsight, The Ambassador was a good substitute for the SFX but that's gone aswel now, So i think they should have never gotten rid of the SFX itself, I mean the list of Bands that have played there is Something else, Clash, Specials, The Smiths, ABC, Simple Minds, Howard Jones, U2 Thompson Twins, New Order, R.E.M Kajagoogoo, King, Radiohead, Bjork, Killing Joke, Soul Asylum, Black Crowes, Madness, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera, Iron Maiden, W.A.S.P, Whitesnake, Anthrax, Sepultura, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, The Verve, Ozzy Ozbourne, Accept, Suede, Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, Def Leppard, Thin Lizzy, Phil Lynnotts Grand Slam, Dio, Big Audio Dynamite, Alice In Chains, The Cramps, Ice T & Body Count

TO NAME BUT A FEW, R.I.P SFX :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

think they played in the state cinema in phibsboro too

Hot Press covered the concert with a piece on them, not just a review of the concert.

EDIT: Scanning.. Scanning..

I always held back previously, as I thought the 'issues' between certain promoters and boards.ie covered tickets (old and new, including scans) as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Amalgam wrote: »
    Hot Press covered the concert with a piece on them, not just a review of the concert.

I always held back previously, as I thought the 'issues' between certain promoters and boards.ie covered tickets (old and new, including scans) as well.
    I work with a cool bloke aged approx 50 yo....i was harping on about seeing Marky Ramone live and yer man pipes up......." I saw them in the state cinema in 78...." i was like...."cool bastard".!!

it became an ice rink and a des kelly carpets if i'm not mistaken!

Amalgam wrote: »

There's a few pics of the gig if you go back a page or 2 for anyone who wants to see....

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Doolittle51

Thought i was gonna be the first one to post this. Beaten to it though. Anyway this was my first gig :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

My first concert was Margo and Big Tom and the Mainliners in 1975 with the parents at the Glasgow Apollo heh heh, but my first rock concert was AC/DC at the Glasgow Apollo in 1982, wish I kept the ticket stubs. Neil I went to see Dio in September 1984 at the Apollo on that same tour.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bulmersmccabe

Luke G wrote: »
    Deadly is that signed by GnR???

Tis. Slash and Matt signed it after a velvet revolver show. Just need Duff, Gilby,Stephen and izzy(even thou they had left at that stage) and Axl now haha. Easy:p

My first concert was Margo and Big Tom and the Mainliners in 1975 with the parents at the Glasgow Apollo heh heh, but my first rock concert was AC/DC at the Glasgow Apollo in 1982, wish I kept the ticket stubs. Neil I went to see Dio in September 1984 at the Apollo on that same tour.

Now that was a cracker of a venue!! Such a shame it's gone too, What a legacy that place has!! They even done a west end musical about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

rednik wrote: »
    As far as my memory goes Ferry played in 94. Sheryl Crow cancelled due to illness.

I've just found out that Ferry gig was 1988.;)

rednik wrote: »
    I've just found out that Ferry gig was 1988.;)

Cheers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

Seen em live a few times, They're probably the best live band i have ever seen, Stuart's Guitar playing was always second to none, Ya always got your moneys worth with BC, then some more....

Wow ! Great to find a fellow BC fan on Boards !!!

LadyW wrote: »
    Wow ! Great to find a fellow BC fan on Boards !!!

Nice to meet you too Lady W :);)

Few More Top Hat Ticket Stubs

I have loads of old ticket stubs... must root them out at the weekend. Plenty of BC ones and a few from the SFX too, including Simple Minds in 1982/3 (I think).. my first ever gig..

God I'm old...:o

I have loads of old ticket stubs... must root them out at the weekend. Plenty of BC ones and a few from the SFX too, including Simple Minds in 1982/3 (I think).. my first ever gig..

God I'm old...:o

Excellent Stuff, Am Looking Forward To Seeing Them ;););)

If you go to Flickr.com and type in Dublin SFX you'll come across this felas page, he has loads, But mad into his copyright Sh*te, So i never even bothered askin him to share em, There's a few from that Simple Minds gig in the SFX in 84
    ;);)

Thanks Luke, I'll check it out. I had some amazing photos (but I think I lost them) from that gig as I was right up the front, you can almost see Mel Gaynor's tonsils in one of them :eek: I'm not kidding !!

Thanks Luke, I'll check it out. I had some amazing photos (but I think I lost them) from that gig as I was right up the front, you can almost see Mel Gaynor's tonsils in one of them :eek: I'm not kidding !!

Haha yeah Derek Forbes played them gigs too, The best line up IMO

Yeah, I agree. They were pretty good in Belfast last December, considering how long they are on the go. I just looked at that guys photos.. Well he can keep his copyright nonsense...mine are sooo much better...
    (eh, assuming I ever find them that is.. :o)

Yeah, I agree. They were pretty good in Belfast last December, considering how long they are on the go. I just looked at that guys photos.. Well he can keep his copyright nonsense...mine are sooo much better...
    (eh, assuming I ever find them that is.. :o)

Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Few More Top Hat Ticket Stubs

Man, thanks amillion for posting those ... I was at all of those gigs but no longer have the stubs ... excellent:cool:

• Advertisement

RayCon wrote: »
    Man, thanks amillion for posting those ... I was at all of those gigs but no longer have the stubs ... excellent:cool:

No Probs, My Pleasure Mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Although if memory serves me the Sabbat gig was McGonagles .. no ?

I loved McGonagles, the 'leather' seating around the sides and just the dinginess of it really..

A nice place (to me anyway..) to see good bands in a small venue. It closed more than once, I can't remember why, but there was a bit of a venue gap in Dublin at the time, between them and say, a place like the SFX.

Therapy and Fugazi and Chumbawumba. I went to see Fugazi, they were amazing. I had no recorded material by Therapy, but I enjoyed them live. Chumbawumba had at least a dozen people on stage, plenty of drums and a didjeridoo or too.. Their sound at the time was quite ethnic and lingering towards Ozric Tentacles territory.

A member of Therapy was selling a 7" to punters, standing just inside the entrance at the end of the night, after the concert. £1.50 as far as I can remember.

tchmbmcg170990.jpg

Blur in a small venue, very very energetic, someone in Dublin has Damon Albarn's shoes (leather mocassins with little frilly bits).. Drumsticks and setlist in the house, somewhere.

Fuzzy memory, the band supporting may have been 'Cuckoo'.

blrmcg071091.jpg

Crystal clear sound and playing from Ride. I was in love with them at the time, on the back of their EPs and Nowhere, great tour posters on sale for that list of dates.

rdmcg191090.jpg

I went for the love of one band.. (Sonic Youth) and left loving another.. (Teenage Fanbclub) A very good natured gig. The two bands played together at the end, can't remember what.. I have a fragment in my mind that it could have been a Warren Zevon song.. or Madonna.

symcg020990.jpg

Dinosaur Jr. A big let down. A moody band and rotten sound. The punters were in a grotty mood as well, band came on close to 9.30PM-10PM, as far as I can remember. Minimal contact, none really.. even worse than you would expect from a band like them. Middle front, with my chest in bits. The extra waiting was not fun.

Fuzzy mist of my mind says support might have been.. (thinks hard). Captain America. I don't think they kept that name for long, for obvious reasons.

djrmcg250991.jpg

Illustrated setlist from the above concert.

djrslmcg250991.jpg

More soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Great thread, I'm jealous of Ned in particular. I heard at the time that Ride played the Buttery in Trinity before they started hitting the big time in 1990. I'm sure many other bands did too.

I was on the dole and being a local boy, I was hanging around the Top Hat the day Sonic Youth and Nirvana played, saw then get off the tour bus, some of them went across the road to the Purty Kitchen for refreshments that afternoon. Of course I hadn't heard of Nivana a month or so before Nevermind was released, as I was there to catch a glimpse of Sonic Youth. Never made the gig as I was broke and couldn't sneak in the stage door as hoped but I heard later it was an excellent performance...a bit like being under the bed in 1916 I used meet people who were at this seminal gig.

This Irish part of that summers tour is imortalised in the documentary "The Year that Punk broke" if you are interested.

My favourite McGonagles moments were going to Goth disco's in the 1986-1989 and seeng bands like The Stars of Heaven play there. Alas no ticket stubbs kept...

Never made the gig as I was broke and couldn't sneak in the stage door as hoped but I heard later it was an excellent performance...a bit like being under the bed in 1916 I used meet people who were at this seminal gig.

..Again, as my last post. I went to that for Sonic Youth. Set lists etc.. once I dig them out.

RayCon wrote: »
    Although if memory serves me the Sabbat gig was McGonagles .. no ?

was indeed, just had that scan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Where was McGonagles and what kind of capacity venue would it be? Smaller than the Top Hat? I'm guessing the SFX was the largest of those three.

Does anyone have memories of Red Box, before it became Tripod? I only saw Fugazi and NOFX there, can't remember what years but both were amazing gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Ali Full Albacore

McGonagles was on South Anne Street, heres an old thread too - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055003238

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

So it's where Guess? is now? Pretty random!

Though I have to say, the Top Hat. Can't believe I was rolling around in a pool of plastic balls within the same location of a venue which held what I'd imagine would be some pretty effin' cool gigs.

• Advertisement

Where was McGonagles and what kind of capacity venue would it be? Smaller than the Top Hat? I'm guessing the SFX was the largest of those three.

Does anyone have memories of Red Box, before it became Tripod? I only saw Fugazi and NOFX there, can't remember what years but both were amazing gigs.

Mc Gonagles was Just off Grafton Street, The First Left before you get to HMV, (Same small street with Eddie Rockets & a few clothes shops on it, Was a much smaller venue Than The SFX or Top Hat, I'd Say the Top Hat was probably the biggest of the 3.

Here's Some Mc Gonagles Pics, Their bar only sold cheap Wine & Ritz i might add :P;)

Advertisement