Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA on TV and Online!

• 31-10-2008 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

The NBA have just launched an online streaming service and they're expanding it to countries outside the US. You can subscribe to it now if you have a UK IP address, it's not available in Ireland yet though.

You can email leaguepass@nba.com and tell them you want it Ireland. If enough of us hassle them, they might offer it here.

http://ilp.nba.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

I've just tried the US and the UK streams. The US one has blackout restrictions, but the UK one doesn't. You can't watch any of the games on TNT or ESPN on the US site.

The UK site uses a plugin called RayV and the quality is quite good, it's not widescreen though. Watching the Houston v Dallas game from TNT at the moment and they have the full feed, ads and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Emailed them but got no response yet which is fustrating

Would be the perfect consolation prize for no TV coverage though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

I just emailed there as well. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭unityofsaints

I just emailed them from my 3 email addresses. I'm desperate to get NBA here in Ireland, I think it's pathetic how channel 5 has rights to all games but chooses to only show one a week! At least they've gone free-to-air, but still..

Keep the emails coming people!

Will email them again tonight. The fact that I haven't received a response in weeks isn't good:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 soloparadox

Anyone stuck for being able to watch games online give me a pm.

Anyone stuck for being able to watch games online give me a pm.

Check your PM'S :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fluffysierra

Just emailed them too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Hey all

This seems to be accessible from Ireland now

Now to decide whether it's worth it given the best games will always be on ESPN / TNT!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

Kulgan wrote: »
    Hey all

This seems to be accessible from Ireland now

Now to decide whether it's worth it given the best games will always be on ESPN / TNT!

Wheres it accessible?

• Advertisement

younge wrote: »
    Wheres it accessible?

http://ilp.nba.com/

You can now buy it from this site if thats what you mean?

Not sure whether to jump straight in and buy it because it looks as if ESPN America will get some form of coverage. Plus with the Warriors sucking this year :(

Also just got the email! Our persistent emailing worked!!

I don't think I've ever whipped out my credit card as fast as I just did :D I've been an NBA fan for over 7 years and now I've finally got a chance to watch games legally... the problem sofar was that if you had no problem with paying for games you still couldn't, it was so frustrating! Actually considered twisting my dish on Christmas Day to get a Hungarian feed of Lakers vs. Celtics :P

I got the half season special for 44$, might tune into a game tonight, will keep you guys posted on quality etc.

There's 10% off for the Half Season Pass if you enter the code 15LPBB.
    Dear NBA Fan,
    Follow your favorite team for the rest of the season directly from your computer. Sign up now and enter code 15LPBB to enjoy an exclusive 10% discount on the Half Season Pass, and you can:
    • Access over 40 live games every week for the rest of the 2008-09 regular season (subject to local blackouts)
    • See all three event nights of NBA All-Star 2009, including the All-Star game live and on replay (where available)
    • Get the original English language game feed
    • Watch games live and on replay for up to 24 hours
    • Hop around the league and follow all the games
    It's always game night with NBA League Pass Broadband!

I got the half season special for 44$, might tune into a game tonight, will keep you guys posted on quality etc.

Make sure you have the latest version of adobe flash player installed.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

I've had it since the start of the season and the quality is grand most of the time. The RayV software is getting better.

ro2 wrote: »
    There's 10% off for the Half Season Pass if you enter the code 15LPBB.

Yep I did :)
    I've had it since the start of the season and the quality is grand most of the time. The RayV software is getting better.

Quality is abyssmal for me. Actually that's not true, quality is maybe 4/10 but the problem is that it's buffering all the time and hence skipping minutes of play. Does this service work off some sort of P2P system or something? Because I made sure I had all of my 3 meg download available at when I was testing it and it was still stuttering and buffering like crazy.

I've a suspicion the international version of league pass (separate login sites) works off a separate set of servers AND its P2P so if no one else is watching it will buffer like crazy.

Ro2, how could you have league pass for a while now when it only became available today? Are you in the states? I'm seriously considering registering for it through a U.S. proxy so I can get the U.S. version, provided it turns out the U.S. one IS actually a better product...

Very disappointed I must say :( Even the worst P2P flash streams are better than this legal, official NBA product! And I'm actually paying for it. Talk about rewarding the pirates...

I'm in Ireland, I was just connecting through the UK. They've been able to access it from the start. I get a lot less buffering now than I did back in November.

I was also able to try out the US version at the start of the season. It's HD/widescreen and you can watch three games at once. The US version is a lot worse with the blackouts though, they find out which city you're in and block out the local games. I was connecting through NY and I couldn't watch the Knicks or the Nets. They don't show the games on ESPN/TNT and they won't have the All Star Weekend either.

There's a good thread here with other people that use the international one here:

http://www.myp2pforum.eu/nba-basketball/28596-nba-league-pass-international.html

Basically they say you need a fast machine with 2GB RAM, the latest version of flash, the latest RayV installed and a decent connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Kulgan wrote: »

Local blackouts apply...we don't have any local broadcasting so we should be safe from from blackouts...maybe someone can confirm this?

I'm 90% tempted to get it just worried it won't be worth it or work properly coz I'm not a techie so I don't wanna get shafted. Also it's a bit of a bummer not having the playoffs included but still better than nothing and I suppose one step at a time they eventually pulled their finger out...who knows by season 2050-51 we might have tv broadcasting :p

You could buy the daily pass and make sure it works before buying the half season.

The playoffs might be on it. Nobody has the rights here, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were shown.

I'm gonna get my dad to look at it because if I get the daily pass I might not get the new software necessary within the day but I'll post back to update :)

Thanks ro2 for posting the link to the other forum! I'm still very disappointed in the nba league pass product- have done everything: updated flash player, closed all other windows and it's still buffering like crazy. To add insult to injury, it won't even connect at university (through a proxy). Looks like I'm going to have to cancel my subscription :(

• Advertisement

Who are you using for your broadband?

Who are you using for your broadband?

Eircom. 3meg down, 368kb/s up. No load on the connection except league pass when I was testing it.

I got the day pass yesterday to test it and watch the Cavs-Pistons game. Unfortunately the buffering is quite bad, so bad in fact that you couldn't really watch a game. Gutted...especially because when for those spurts it does work the quality is real nice :( The online support said that the quality improves with live games (I was watching replay as I had to reinstall the Ray V) but I'm obviously not going to pay for the half season unless it's watchable. I might try another day pass again in the next week or so, to see is there any improvement.
    Other than that they said I just need bigger bandwidth :rolleyes:, I have 1 meg but frequently have up 1 1/2 mbps (even though the requirement is less) and no loading when I tested it!!?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Sounds not very good abt the nba LP, at the moment. I dont believe its coz of the broadband connection & our systems. Its just their streaming capability is poor. Tey should giv the money bak, 4 poor service. I used 2 watch games live frm last few years, frm tat myp2p.eu, website. But sadly, found day b4, tat 4 som reason, the site is undergoin legal proceedings:eek:. So, nw really stranded. if nba fix tis buffering issue, please do update us. Thanks a lot guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

peaceboi wrote: »
    Sounds not very good abt the nba LP, at the moment. I dont believe its coz of the broadband connection & our systems. Its just their streaming capability is poor. Tey should giv the money bak, 4 poor service. I used 2 watch games live frm last few years, frm tat myp2p.eu, website. But sadly, found day b4, tat 4 som reason, the site is undergoin legal proceedings:eek:. So, nw really stranded. if nba fix tis buffering issue, please do update us. Thanks a lot guys.

Ya i used to watch all the games on that site too. There being done for copyright or something. It really sucks!!

Hi dudes, anybody got other ideas than nba LP, 2 watch 2night's big games?? :p

peaceboi wrote: »
    Hi dudes, anybody got other ideas than nba LP, 2 watch 2night's big games?? :p

go 2 the airport and fly 2 america!

:p sorry I know it sucks...if I was over there I would be parked in front of the box all day. Spurs v Boston to warm up, then the main event Lebron v Kobe and for dessert if I was still hungry Suns v Pistons. WOW That would be great.

hehe, yep. 2day's is a blokbuster fixture.

Detroit Pistons @ Miami Heat

Live Tue night/Wed morn on Channel 5 with special guest Coolio :D
    (For those who haven't read the other thread, if you have Sky you can manually tune this channel in)

Wade on the back of scoring a career high 50 points line out against the Pistons who just got owned by Mr. James and co. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Nimblescot

Sorry, you referred to another thread about tuning in to channel 5 through sky digital. I'm in Cork, should I be able to get channel 5 through my sky digital setup for NBA games?

Advertisement