Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STI Clinics in Ireland (list in first post updated 10/08/2010)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Originally posted by DMT
    Either way, sex outside marriage (contraceptives or not) is a venial sin - worst that can happen is you go to purgatory for a while. :D

Same with murdering a Protestant, marrying one on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,710 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

And not every one would attend a safe sex workshop to learn and that is those who get into college. The fight against the lack of information on thise type of stuff should not be left to S.U. officers.

I was an SU officer last year in a small college in Dublin (about 1000 students). We organised a safe sex workshop and about 5 people (members of the SU) turned up. I'm 23 and I learned and I actually learned quite a lot at that talk.

Also in this college, numerous requests have been made to place condom machines in the ladies toilets and in the ground floor toilets. Excuses included: the company who put the machines haven't sold enough, we don't children getting them from the toilets in the ground floor.

We organised a SHAG (Sexual Health Awareness and Guidance) week. college authorities decided they did not like this name and advertised it as wellness centre seminars !!!!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

condoms are quite expensive if buying them regularly.

Possible solutions:
    Don't charge tax on them (is any tax applied to condoms already? I assume so)
    Regulate the pricing, possibly at EU level?
    Subsidise the cost
    Give out free condoms in colleges

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

condoms are currently taxed at 21% as they are considered to be a luxury item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

this was stated on another thread in after hours today. apparently in the independent yesterday it was said that a lot of gay men are trying to contract HIV to make them feel part of the gay community. the reasoning behind this is that they are outsiders because they are gay all their lives and then when they come out they still don't feel like they are accepted because of all the hype about gay men with aids so they actually try to get aids themselves -

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

Originally posted by loismustdie
    the reasoning behind this is that they are outsiders because they are gay all their lives and then when they come out they still don't feel like they are accepted because of all the hype about gay men with aids so they actually try to get aids themselves -

that is absolutely insane reasoning and i actually find that very hard to believe. I don't know a single person who is gay that would agree with that at all (only conjecture but i'm going with the people that i know and their personalities). If someone feels like they are that unaccepted i don't think contracting HIV will make them feel like they belong more or that they are more accepted by their peers. And i would nearly guarantee if they asked anyone with HIV or aids if they could somehow wish it away that they would do so without a moments hesitation.

It most certainly is not a status symbol nor does it grant you admission to some exclusive club, it is a disease and not a very nice one at that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Dakeyras
    that is absolutely insane reasoning and i actually find that very hard to believe

totally agree!
    that’s outrageous, only an idiot would do something like that – they might as well say next that anyone who is gay has a lower IQ or something equally stupid
    I'm off th AH to see what the story is...

Carlos is part of an intricate underground world that has sprouted, driven almost completely by the Internet, in which men who want to be infected with HIV get together with those who are willing to infect them. The men who want the virus are called "bug chasers," and the men who freely give the virus to them are called "gift givers." While the rest of the world fights the AIDS epidemic and most people fear HIV infection, this subculture celebrates the virus and eroticizes it. HIV-infected semen is treated like liquid gold. Carlos has been chasing the bug for more than a year in a topsy-turvy world in which every convention about HIV is turned upside down. The virus isn't horrible and fearsome, it's beautiful and sexy -- and delivered in the way that is most likely to result in infection. In this world, the men with HIV are the most desired, and the bug chasers will do anything to get the virus -- to "get knocked up," to be "bred" or "initiated into the brotherhood."

• Advertisement

tis madness, i agree. i think journalists are jst running out of stories or something

do you have a link to that story loismustdie?
    I can't seem to locate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

I read yesterday that AIDs infections are up 22% (Examiner.ie) and most of these are from people in Sub Saraha Africa. Why or why is there no health screen of people entering this country? Also this 22% is of known cases, how about all the unkown ones? Other countries are doing screening, but we have to be behind everyone else :(

The virus isn't horrible and fearsome, it's beautiful and sexy -- and delivered in the way that is most likely to result in infection. In this world, the men with HIV are the most desired, and the bug chasers will do anything to get the virus -- to "get knocked up," to be "bred" or "initiated into the brotherhood."

Do these people actually know anything about HIV, beautiful and sexy? FFS. I find this really really hard to believe and i hope its just tabloid journalism (even in the examiner) trying to be really explosive. But even if it does exist i'm sure it would have to be a very small minority. 'Initiated into the brotherhood'? somebody should initiate them into some f$*%@&g education.

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    do you have a link to that story loismustdie?
    I can't seem to locate it

go to the second last page or there abouts in the skangers thread in after hours, they're talking about it there and there's a link too. mordeth actually read it in the paper yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Carlos is part of an intricate underground world that has sprouted, driven almost completely by the Internet, in which men who want to be infected with HIV get together with those who are willing to infect them. The men who want the virus are called "bug chasers," and the men who freely give the virus to them are called "gift givers." While the rest of the world fights the AIDS epidemic and most people fear HIV infection, this subculture celebrates the virus and eroticizes it. HIV-infected semen is treated like liquid gold. Carlos has been chasing the bug for more than a year in a topsy-turvy world in which every convention about HIV is turned upside down. The virus isn't horrible and fearsome, it's beautiful and sexy -- and delivered in the way that is most likely to result in infection. In this world, the men with HIV are the most desired, and the bug chasers will do anything to get the virus -- to "get knocked up," to be "bred" or "initiated into the brotherhood."

Are these people stupid or just insane?

Thought i'd check into this a bit and it seems this story stems from a story in Rolling Stone back in February and the quotes from the independent are the same as the Rolling Stone quotes. To that original story there were also immediate dismissals and questions over any scientific evidence to support the claims, and some dismissed it as pure fabrication.

Anyhoo, here be some links for anyone interested:

http://www.is-five.com/012703.php

http://uk.gay.com/headlines/3569

post by Grimlock with link to original rolling stone article:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1102667#post1102667

Terry Pratchet

Anyway

There are more STIs than HIV,

I'm surprised noone reacted to my comment about my college

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by bloggs
    I read yesterday that AIDs infections are up 22% (Examiner.ie) and most of these are from people in Sub Saraha Africa. Why or why is there no health screen of people entering this country?

What are you trying to say.. all those outsiders are spreading the virus in our pure aryan nation?

That's not what you were intimating right?

Maybe the real question we should be asking is why don't the old Imperial powers who heaped so much suffering and created the circumstances for degeration of the African continent do something useful, like debt relief, so the poorest African countries could spend some of their money on healthcare and education, instead of on paying back unimaginable debts? Greed?

Why don't the old imperialist nations remove trade barriers, like the CAP, so that African countries could get a fair price for their produce, and maybe spend some money on fighting AIDS?

bloody foreigners.

• Advertisement

not to mention proper, cheap medicines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by Johnnymcg
    Anyway

There are more STIs than HIV,

I'm surprised noone reacted to my comment about my college

Nearly everyone I met in college knew nothing about STDs .. and they liked it that way ... they didn't want anything to ruin their fun, worry them, or remind them they are in the really world

FFS there is a epidemic happening in the colleges and, like you said, everyone has their heads in the sand

I think every 1st year should be force to attend a 1 hour sex ed instruction course and then be given 50 free condoms (my student union gave us all 1 each .. most people had that gone in afew hours!)

Originally posted by Wicknight
    my student union gave us all 1 each .. most people had that gone in afew hours!

inflated/ pulled over head/ filled with water and thrown/ i wonder did anyone use them the way durex intended?:)

my friends mum used to work with the health board teaching sex education and she used to give away loads of free condoms so we were all sorted. The only thing was they were of the super-strong - tough mo fo - 'what you can still feel anything' - type. Well, they weren't that bad actually but not as nice as your average durex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

think the lesson is, if you go fishing with your rod, pack a mack before you get an itchy sack my friends........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Eden

feel for me, people... My long-term-we're-getting-married-partner has had herpes for years now, he got it as a v young man on a working holiday in the states.
    Even if he doesn't have an outbreak, the virus is still transferable, which means that we must always wear condoms, and even then there is no guarantee that I won't catch it from him.
    But what are we gonna do? Stop having sex? And what about having babies?
    That's why I get so annoyed when I hear of ****ing morons that won't educate themselves about these things. They are so common in this country, and anyone can get them, business man, student, council estate mum, teenager in love...
    When my partner first got herpes he thought his life was over, and was very depressed and hurt for a long time. He had to live through that. And bear in mind, this was almost 20 years ago, so there was nowhere near as much information available so that he could learn about the disease.
    If I ever got it from him, I don't know how he would deal with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I think everybody should be taught how to use a condom as soon as they reach a certain age. I was never taught how to use one and the clarity of the instructions on the condom pack are often quite poor. Theres nothing about inspecting them for rips or holes.

The drugs that were developed which stop HIV from spreading to the rest of a person`s body are sold at a rediculous price. The majority of people in the third world who are infected are unable to afford. People are dying because of the greediness of a multinational corporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

couple of things,

sex without a condom is just plain stupid, whether the girl is on the pill or not. its not safe out there these days.

the scariest sti of them all called "life" has not been mentioned yet.

our student union gave us nasty flavoured condoms, i got banana flavour. the stink was brutal....

btw for the girls of the boards goto myvag.net for a plethora of infromation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

They should have compulsory sessions on sexual health in unis and secondary school every year, all the way up.

In my day the type of sex education we got varied widely from teacher to teacher - some taught us the facts but I remeber one religious teacher who went on about the fact that condoms don't work all the time - i know they're not 100% effective but it's better to havie ppl using them than nothing at all.

We should try to get ppl to be responsible for their sex lives - this is not always the case in Ireland today - this includes making going for a yearly STI check as normal as going to the dentist. Plus, I think an effort should be made to teach teenagers that having a kid at a young age isn't easy - I'm not saying teenage parents should be stigmatised but I think that alot of unplanned pregnancies amongst teenagers in this country are due to ignorance or refusal to face reality rather than genuine accident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by simu
    They should have compulsory sessions on sexual health in unis and secondary school every year, all the way up.
    I agree 100%. I think they should have externals brought in to do it.
    In my day the type of sex education we got varied widely from teacher to teacher - some taught us the facts but I remeber one religious teacher who went on about the fact that condoms don't work all the time - i know they're not 100% effective but it's better to havie ppl using them than nothing at all.

I got sex education in a US middle school, from what I remember it was quite good for the age of people there. In Ireland teh school I was at had a sex education class in 5th year. The guys told me it was the only time they had ever had formal sex education and it was a once off one hour class.It basically consisted of a Christian Brother telling us that it was only ok to touch "down there" when you were going to the toilet.
    We should try to get ppl to be responsible for their sex lives - this is not always the case in Ireland today - this includes making going for a yearly STI check as normal as going to the dentist. Plus, I think an effort should be made to teach teenagers that having a kid at a young age isn't easy - I'm not saying teenage parents should be stigmatised but I think that alot of unplanned pregnancies amongst teenagers in this country are due to ignorance or refusal to face reality rather than genuine accident.

I have a manditory STI check every 6 months in work. I think if I ever left this job I'd still have to keep it up to that rate. And the young parents issue.... I have to say, I know the statistics show that it doesn't seem to be too effective, but I did the whole "mind an egg" thing that they do in US schools. Its not bloody easy, and it makes you think about how difficult a kid would be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement