Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry Airport - News & Updates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

Masala wrote: »
    Where are Ryanair getting money per passenger.??? Cork has launched at least 4 new Ryanair routes recently (Malta, Poznan, + others) .....how much are Cork paying Ryanair??? What about the new Shannon to Vienna and Barcelona???

I don't think we will ever know where exactly Ryanair or other airlines are getting money per passenger (except obvious cases like Eilat where subsidies are well known).

Here however we have a clear statement by an elected official saying that the route was made possible by major government funding.

Or is this major support Kerry being advertised on billboards in Manchester?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

embraer170 wrote: »
    I don't think we will ever know where exactly Ryanair or other airlines are getting money per passenger (except obvious cases like Eilat where subsidies are well known).

Here however we have a clear statement by an elected official saying that the route was made possible by major government funding.

Or is this major support Kerry being advertised on billboards in Manchester?:rolleyes:

Like any inbound route - I would expect that Tourism Ireland will assist in marketing same on the overseas market bring tourists into the country. Assistance in the form of email shots, billboards, TV advertising, fam trips, press trips, stock images etc. So - he is committing to such assistance... good for him and Kerry.

Some news from the Kerry Airport:
    - A new shop opened last Saturday taking up one of the recently built pre-boarding areas. Passengers have a forced walk through the shop after going through security. It is a big improvement in the shopping experience, but it will certainly not help with the crowding next summer when four 737s depart in two hours. I wonder what the will use the old shop for. Proper toilets? A cafe?

- The latest issue of Connect announces two new routes from Kerry Airport. We have only seen Manchester announced. I am wondering if something else was expected and postponed at the last minute?

IMG-9218.jpg

IMG-9216.jpg

IMG-9222.jpg

IMG-9221.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Well it looks more like they're announcing the increase in Alicante as a new route, just a PR exercise, and quite a poor and misleading one at that.

The airport desperately needs some meaningful airside expansion.

Perhaps they could build a new arrivals hall to the East of the existing one (towards the fire station), and use the existing one for an additional departure gate or two.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Well it looks more like they're announcing the increase in Alicante as a new route, just a PR exercise, and quite a poor and misleading one at that.

It looks like an Editors choice of headline..... I dont see where its says its has 2 new flights in the article.

It looks like an Editors choice of headline..... I dont see where its says its has 2 new flights in the article.

It doesn't say it in the article, however it doesn't have to does it, often you'll find big dramatic headlines to get people to read the article. Simple tabloid tactics that are sadly used and accepted more and more every day.

It doesn't say it in the article, however it doesn't have to does it, often you'll find big dramatic headlines to get people to read the article. Simple tabloid tactics that are sadly used and accepted more and more every day.

.... yep thats the world we live in!! Click-bait is the term I believe!!

I don't have a copy of the magazine with me (and it is not yet on http://connectpublications.ie/portfolio/) but the editorial also made an explicit reference to two new routes. Probably click-bait.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I passed through Kerry airport for the first time recently on my way to Berlin. It had it's pluses and minuses.

The cafe opened about an hour before the gate closed (1.5 hours before scheduled departure). Everyone hanging around for the flight went in and ordered food and drinks . The airport then announced our flight would be leaving early and told everyone to make their way to security. The airport were very persistent with the announcements. People left their food and drinks behind them. The flight didn't leave early at all. It just took off at the scheduled time. It seemed odd they were rushing people so much.

On the plus side the airport was easy and quick to get through. Our return flight landed at 5.05 pm and we made the 5.19 pm train to Cork from Farranfore station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 user52873

embraer170 wrote: »
    I don't have a copy of the magazine with me (and it is not yet on but the editorial also made an explicit reference to two new routes. Probably click-bait.

I think there was a strong rumor of KLM coming in to serve KIR-AMS and might be that 2nd route?

user52873 wrote: »
    I think there was a strong rumor of KLM coming in to serve KIR-AMS and might be that 2nd route?

KIR-AMS? That's pie in the sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 user52873

KIR-AMS? That's pie in the sky!

Here's the background story I was basing that off (cannot post link completely as a new user) - traleetoday.ie/council-to-contact-airline-with-a-view-to-looking-at-kerry-amsterdam-route/

Seems like essentially a non-story, airports make contact with airlines all the time.

It's the airlines who decide which routes to fly, they know the markets, and a bit of contact with Kerry county council isn't going to make much difference here.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

If any Airport was going to pick up AMS its Shannon

I passed through Kerry airport for the first time recently on my way to Berlin. It had it's pluses and minuses.

The cafe opened about an hour before the gate closed (1.5 hours before scheduled departure). Everyone hanging around for the flight went in and ordered food and drinks . The airport then announced our flight would be leaving early and told everyone to make their way to security. The airport were very persistent with the announcements. People left their food and drinks behind them. The flight didn't leave early at all. It just took off at the scheduled time. It seemed odd they were rushing people so much.

On the plus side the airport was easy and quick to get through. Our return flight landed at 5.05 pm and we made the 5.19 pm train to Cork from Farranfore station.

I bet that was more Ryanair than the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

EI-FAT,EI-FAX ,EI-FCY,EI-GHK and EI-GHJ all now parked at Kerry for the next while.

EI-FAT,EI-FAX ,EI-FCY,EI-GHK and EI-GHJ all now parked at Kerry for the next while.

Expect all bar two ATRs to position to Kerry for storage.

I would love to see a photo of that.
    So if anyone happens to have one and wants to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TeaPot918

Best I could get
    BUBnr9N.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TeaPot918

Three more on finals now, I'l take a spin over tomorrow again. I fly for another grounded crowd so I've nothing better to be doing.

Thanks, very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Attached from a friend.

507178.jpg

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Attached from a friend.

Thanks for sharing.

A bit less special but this is a photo I took during the last storm when there were three Ryanair 737s on the ground at the same time (two Cork diversions and one of the regular London flights).

507381.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Great to see the Ryanair 737s back in the air today. FR5706 to Hahn just after departing and FR701 inbound from Stansted.

Private traffic picking back up again also - N711WM was in from Vegas again last week and the usual Liebherrs are in and out

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Looks like a new aircraft based at the airport: Phenom 300 M-NREN of Cross Aviation. Their old aircraft 2-NORN (another Phenom) has positioned to Melbourne, Florida via Reykjavik and Bangor, Maine.

marno21 wrote: »
    Great to see the Ryanair 737s back in the air today. FR5706 to Hahn just after departing and FR701 inbound from Stansted.

Private traffic picking back up again also - N711WM was in from Vegas again last week and the usual Liebherrs are in and out

Imagine spotting in Vegas and hearing someone getting clearance to Kerry :D

Ryanair’s HHN base is apparently set to close because local crew are refusing a pay cut.

It will be interesting to see what happens KIR-HHN, a route that has lasted for a very long time (and has its roots in Aer Lingus summer Saturday/Sunday DUS-DUB-KIR in the mid-90s).

CGN would seem like the most likely alternative, assuming the fees are too high at FRA to sustain such a leisure route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

CGN would be a much more welcome and central choice anyway compared to Hahn which is out in the sticks. Lots more tourists would be eyeing up Kerry as their gateway to Cologne.

Advertisement