Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Picard 1x10 - "Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Comments

Jesus not sure what to make of it. Overall I somewhat enjoyed the season. It was watchable as the saying goes.

Star Trek Discovery on the other hand was a compete disaster for me gave up watching it half way through
    having watched all previous star treks.

I enjoyed Discovery far more than this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Discovery, for all its flaws, had a scope and pacing. People may not have liked the details but it had a purpose. There was a central plot, mystery and drive. At the end of this series I'm really not sure what the point was, beyond CBS looking to exploit the endorphin rush of cheap nostalgia.

That my biggest disappointment is how we didn't see Picard regenerate into a younger actor speaks to the weird cultural space this show has found itself in with me. Instead a 94 year old man got a few more years in a wasted robot body. A effin BIZARRE creative decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I think this show is one of the worst things I've ever seen.

I'm not even sure I'm talking about just television.

Fantastic that its over, but the idea that this crap would somehow have a future is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I actually really liked this episode and i also agree that they have made a mess of something that I had great hopes for.

I really liked how they eventually came to feel like a proper crew. Maybe a bit more of that before this finale would have been nice.

There’s no way that Romulan bird is dead. Falling into darknes is no death. She either beamed out or she barely survives the fall by using some sort of semi assimilation and comes back

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That was unbelievable levels of shyte! (now edited with more thoughts)

Picard's death is completely undermined a few scenes later (guess they didn't learn that lesson from the ENT finale!), and now he's an Android/Synth/whatever too? But it's OK because I suppose no one knows outside of that group, he's alright with it himself (because that would be completely in character ???!!), and he has a built-in expiry date (someone was watching Blade Runner) .. Fook right off!

The magical repair tool that can also project hundreds of starship holograms into space that can fool 200 ship's sensors.. Then the copy and paste massive Starfleet fleet, just blurry and badly lit enough to not give a proper look at any of them (the scene itself pretty much lifted from the Discovery finale without the pew pew they normally resort to to cover these holes).
    Oh and Romulan military tech has gone backwards these days as it takes an age to retarget weapons now unlike say when the Tal Shiar/Obsidian Order fleet dropped out of warp and commenced bombardment of the Founders home world pretty much immediately for example!

Then the equally bad green-screen insertion of Frakes/Riker - tight angle with what.. 2 extras?
    Speaking of Riker, you'd think he'd have wanted to be there at the death of his friend and mentor, but sure no worries. It's better Picard died among virtual strangers I'm sure. :rolleyes:

About the one plus was the scene with Data, but even that was anticlimactic - it could have been an additional scene at the end of Nemesis on the holodeck. Not enough to base an entire series on. Piss poor as it was.

I wanted to love this so much. But it’s not Star Trek. It’s a trek show twisted and bastardised into a modern tv show. It’s so annoying, I really wanted this but no. Would have been better if left to my imagination of what could have happened to these characters.

This.. SO many times this!

I had hope as well, but I should have known better given this was produced by the same people who make Discovery.

These shows are more like an awful, cheap (I'm sure it cost a fortune though), generic knock-off that is an insult to the source material and the fans who watched and supported it.

I thought they couldn't do worse than the season finale of Discovery last year. I was wrong!

Disgusted. (edit : and having slept on it it's no better!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Like Discovery and Star Trek: Nemesis, I won't be watching this again!

A few things that irritated me:

Super Spy Oh blowing her cover to lead the mission to destroy the synth planet; surely there'll always be a risk of someone else in the federation developing artificial life and wouldn't a deep cover agent like Oh be interested in maintaining access to the federation's other secrets?

How did Riker and the fleet get there so quickly - hasn't only a day passed since Picard and the gang traveled through the Borg conduit? From what I remember they traveled about 26/27 light years through the conduit; so based on the Voyager's 70,000 light years = 70 years, this works out about 10 days travel at maximum warp from Nepenthe?

And why would Riker hold the rank of 'Acting' Captain? Surely some sort of special dispensation or battlefield commission would have been arranged to afford him the rank of Admiral given he's been given responsibility for a hundred or so starships?

When Narek made the play to his sister that she needed to stay behind to get the Borg weapons back working, I was expecting to see a 'Gun on Ice Planet Zero' moment but like so many things in this series, nothing materialised! Oh well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Planet Serialisation pattern number 5. Had me thinking of:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

pah wrote: »
    Just looking at another source and it referenced Nareks exposition piece where he days" when our ancestors arrived on Vulcan, blah blah blah...."

I hadn't copped it myself at the time but Christ that is poor in terms of continuity, script writing and proofing

Aren't Romulans offshoots of the Vulcan race? I haven't watched TNG in a while but my understanding is that the Romulans were originally Vulcans who left the planet. Isn't that the whole reason why Spock tried to bridge the gap between them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

One thing that really annoyed me and stood out was the scene in a few episodes back with the Borg being ejected into space. Everyone went on as if they were dead and defeated. Yet in First Contact they're wandering about in space on the deflector dish building a sub space beacon. Not a bother on them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Also, I can't wait for the return of The Orville. It's better star trek than star trek itself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

One thing that really annoyed me and stood out was the scene in a few episodes back with the Borg being ejected into space. Everyone went on as if they were dead and defeated. Yet in First Contact they're wandering about in space on the deflector dish building a sub space beacon. Not a bother on them..

Yeh that struck me as really odd. It was the first thing that popped into my mind as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Kirby wrote: »
    Aren't Romulans offshoots of the Vulcan race? I haven't watched TNG in a while but my understanding is that the Romulans were originally Vulcans who left the planet. Isn't that the whole reason why Spock tried to bridge the gap between them?

Yes that's correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

I looked up Chabon's history on IMDB, this is only his second credit as a producer which probably explains a lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Evade wrote: »
    I looked up Chabon's history on IMDB, this is only his second credit as a producer which probably explains a lot.

Hi bibliography though is pretty strong, so it does suggest good novelists don't necessarily make for good TV producers. It's a pity because it was Chabon's presence at the outset that made me think this might give this series stronger character and structure. They kinda have been in places, but still surrounded by cheap emotional storytelling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Chabon_bibliography

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes that true but maybe they can only survive in space for a certain time before they die. There was talk about in in one of the threads here somewhere. Maybe someone else can post a link to it. Still space is very big and if you were floating in space you would be very small.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I enjoyed this episode very much. Not perfect by any means but what is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Also, I can't wait for the return of The Orville. It's better star trek than star trek itself..

My thoughts exactly. It has the tone, style and pace of the trek that we all know and love. It really could be the Federation in the 25th Century.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭pah

Kirby wrote: »

Yes but the point is that Narek said " when our ancestors arrived on Vulcan they....."

They didn't arrive there. They evolved there and eventually Romulan evolved from Vulcans.

It's like a human character declaring "... When our ancestors arrived on Earth...."

If you wanted to be charitable you could think the Romulans twisted the history a bit so the Romulans are the progenitors of the Vulcans but it being a mistake or retcon seems more likely.

He could have been referring to when Sargon's species arrived on Vulcan ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

My thoughts exactly. It has the tone, style and pace of the trek that we all know and love. It really could be the Federation in the 25th Century.

Jesus no. It has some good episodes but its pretty bland a lot of the time. There isnt a decent actor among them. They are all just poor STNG rip offs. STNG had way better story telling than the Orville. Way better actors. I think what you guys miss is the story of the week idea. Its something I miss-everything is a bloody story arc now . I do agree though that TREK needs a dose of optimism. There is too much darkness in the real world that we could use some optmism in the trek verse.
    But not the ORVILLE-even if the second in command is hot! She had one epiosode with her baps hanging out. God I could not concentrate!

Goodshape wrote: »

That has the head of the old woman over the Founders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Same actor - and confusingly similar makeup!

Somewhere, deep in the bowels of fan fiction, they're the same character. You know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

What was the deal with Picard saying he loved Data.
    It sounded kinda gay.
    Two good friends don't say that kinda stuff to each other.
    Was it meant in a gay way. Genuine question folks.

That's one of those cases were TOS canon and TNG era canon seem to differ (one of many). TOS speculated on an ancestor race that travelled to various planets, colonised the planets and then diverged from there. (Which would fit Narek's narrative). TNG had an originator species that inserted their DNA into the DNA of species already native to the worlds in order to steer their evolution towards a humanoid form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭corkie

Salome Jens

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

pixelburp wrote: »
    The point all along of Picard was, it turns out, Data. A big 10 episode dawdle to get to a point where Picard had a chance to say goodbye properly. I guess a do over on Nemesis' sloppy ending. Beyond that I'm just not sure sure. Will think more on it but a bit disappointing as finales go.

For a few minutes, I'd honestly thought Trek might pull a Dr Who and regenerate Picard into a younger actor. Crazy, controversial but it would have been something at least. Instead, it was a laziest rugpull I've seen from a script in ages.
    yeah himself was shouting 'he's going to have a 25 year old's body now!"

What was the deal with Picard saying he loved Data.
    It sounded kinda gay.
    Two good friends don't say that kinda stuff to each other.
    Was it meant in a gay way. Genuine question folks.
    raffi and jay ell were saying it as well. i think they're all just being very i love you as a friend. maybe because picard is getting on in years he's all 'listen these are all the things i need to tell people'

whole episode... eh. wasn't too pushed. and they all just left without any tidy up? the fed is suddenly ok with synths after throwing picard out last time? wat
    i suppose riker didn't know about picard's problem (unless i've forgotten he told him) so he would have no problem being like see ya next time

raffi and seven - give me a break
    NOW KITH!!!
    Stark wrote: »
    Poor Picard.

"Well Admiral, we could have downloaded you into a hot younger body and given you superpowers but we figured you wouldn't want that."
    "Oh. Yay"
    genuine lol - had the same reaction

it looks like some of the supersynths made it through before the beacon turned off. is this in season 2?
    ah the data and picard bit was nice

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    yeah himself was shouting 'he's going to have a 25 year old's body now!"
    Tom Hardy could always play a younger Picard again.

Advertisement