Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercise Bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,694 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t think a bike of that style would be that comfy barring very sporadic and brief use. I much prefer the recumbent style with back support. Would it be possible to hold off until finances allow maybe one of these....

https://www.elverys.ie/elverys/en/Elverys/Fitness/Home-Gym-Equipment/Home-Gym-Delivery/ProForm-325-CSX%2B-Recumbent-Bike/p/000000000001100023

This is a update of the bike I have at home, they are great machines and here get close to 11 hours use over 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Why would a bike that's the same setup as an actual bike not be comfortable for anything other than brief and sporadic use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭PCros

Hey thanks for the reply Strumms.

It would really only be used for post free weights session so I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it.

Only concern is the flywheel is only 4kg.

Why would a bike that's the same setup as an actual bike not be comfortable for anything other than brief and sporadic use?

The recumbent design has back support and a wide cushioned seat so you can sit and exercise without the bit of extra effort of leaning forward and constantly maintaining balance. All of the fitness and health benefits but with extra comfort and stability. My physiotherapist recommended this particular bike and I have to say it’s perfect. I much prefer the comfort having used both. I’d use it for an hour a day minimum but usually more.

If I’m down the gym I notice too that they have about 7 recumbent bikes and 5 non recumbent regular style which are more often then not sitting free in fact they are hardly ever in use.

Strumms wrote: »
    The recumbent design has back support and a wide cushioned seat so you can sit and exercise without the bit of extra effort of leaning forward and constantly maintaining balance. All of the fitness and health benefits but with extra comfort and stability. My physiotherapist recommended this particular bike and I have to say it’s perfect. I much prefer the comfort having used both. I’d use it for an hour a day minimum but usually more.

If I’m down the gym I notice too that they have about 7 recumbent bikes and 5 non recumbent regular style which are more often then not sitting free in fact they are hardly ever in use.

Yeah I get in individual cases and maybe you might be only able to use a normal bike sporadically and briefly. Just seemed that it was presented as being applicable to everyone, which I would disagree with. That's all.

• Advertisement

Yeah I get in individual cases and maybe you might be only able to use a normal bike sporadically and briefly. Just seemed that it was presented as being applicable to everyone, which I would disagree with. That's all.

Having used both, and going to the gym with people who are of the same mind , the recumbent style is a favorite of not only myself but everyone from footballers, athletes, seniors, you name it, not really a coincidence that the others are left sitting unless there is nothing else to loose.

Strumms wrote: »
    Having used both, and going to the gym with people who are of the same mind , the recumbent style is a favorite of not only myself but everyone from footballers, athletes, seniors, you name it, not really a coincidence that the others are left sitting unless there is nothing else to loose.

Yeah but lots of people cycle and lots of people do spin classes so cycling upright is obviously comfy for a lot of people.

Some might find a recumbent more comfortable for some but that's different to a normal bike being uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I wouldn't recommend the seat style one. I'd imagine the other one may have benefits for posture or activating muscles.. At least I prefer using it than one where my back is glued to a back rest

Advertisement