Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Pet supply shops are officially on the list of essential retailers that can stay open. :)

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Taiga wrote: »
    Lads, do any of you feed Rocco to your doggo's? I've been feeding mine Real Nature from Maxi Zoo but toying around with changing. Mainly because I hate going to Maxi Zoo.
    Currently it's just under €15 for 6 800g tins because you get one free when you buy 6.

Yes, find it very good and economical

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Mine arrived yesterday too, got a mega box of dreamies, absolutely essential of course :-D I could only get poultry flavour smilla, Freya only eats turkey flavour so I'm hoping poultry includes a high proportion of turkey

Have enough food for a good 8 or 9 weeks, I may end up taking on a foster so happier to have a bit extra

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Grand so. I've looked at the ingredients and it looks quite good. I'll give it a couple of months until hopefully things get back to someway normal and try it then. Would be handier and save a few yoyo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I don't really want to start a new thread for this but has anyone any tips for trying to catch and pick up a very very scared skittish cat?

We've noticed that new (I say new, but we've had her since last July) cat Síonna seems to be favouring her front right paw and isn't putting any pressure on it. We're gonna take her to the vet but she HATES being picked up. We cornered her in the kitchen earlier in the week to have a look at the paw and see if there was anything obviously wrong with it. It took ages to catch her and she badly scraped me trying to get out of my arms while my husband inspected the paw. We've no idea how to get her into a cat carrier to get her to the vet though! She's normally quite affectionate and is happy to sit and get petted by us (not on our laps) but is incredibly skittish and nervous and gets spooked and bolts really easily.

• Advertisement

I am assuming that walking a dog for a disabled person will fall under assistance, one of the reasons we're allowed leave our homes. I am currently only walking two dogs both for disabled owners. I hope it does, because one of them would cope without as the dog is small and lazy. The other one simply wouldn't. The dog absolutely needs exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

My Aunt is 70's so I'm walking her dog for her. It's a massive relief for her. I assume it's ok. They're lucky to have you Budgese.

I've had an upsetting morning. Had my two up the field at the back of our house earlier. General etiquette is if someone is there with a dog you go in the opposite direction. Most people do it that way but there are always going to be a few. There's a couple in particular who between them have 6 dogs. All lovely, friendly dogs but 2 of them are extremely friendly (fab, gorgeous dogs) and one is quite big and Kobi is terrified of them as they bounce all over him.

So this morning I'm heading back out of the field and they come in so I stop, hoping they'll move a little over in the other direction but they just stood there waiting for me to pass. It makes absolutely no difference which direction you go in, but there's only one way in or out so I waited it out but then they decided to wait no more and came right towards me so I had to move or I was hemmed in. Of course one of their crew ran towards mine and Kobi got the fright of his life and bolted. I was so upset and shouted at them why didn't you use your bloody head like everyone else and give me space to get out of the way, now my dog had gone etc. They said I should have had them on leads, even though theirs were off lead too. I left mine off as when theirs approach, mine are then fairly trapped. We had a shouting match, they basically didn't give a sh1t.

I couldn't find poor Kobi (deserter!) and was so bloody upset as I hate confrontation and was terrified something would happen to him but when I got home he was there. So relieved!!

I just wanted to vent really. I know it's not a big deal in our current, weird situation. I should just forget it now but I'm the type to mull over things.

Is it too early for a sip of something strong?

Anyway, I hope you're all safe and well.x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

That’s awful Taiga. Of course they could have been more considerate. I mean, apart from anything else, I don’t suppose you’d get anyone to assist you in looking for your dog at the moment. Maybe I have a weird way of thinking, but this crossed my mind while out walking my very scared rescue dog. I had the horrible thought that if she broke free, I couldn’t round up the troops to help me find her :(

I’m so glad your boy got home, what a clever little doggie
    to head for safety immediately :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Teddy bolts if joggers run towards him so for that reason he his always on the lead no matter where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've done the same to be fair - let B off if a dog was bothering him and eg had him run to my friend. He hid behind my friend's legs on time when some kids where chasing him trying to pull his tail with Mammy watching - like what's the worse that could happen to them?

I made the decision on Friday to stop Bailey's laser therapy for the time being as I can't go in with him - he's fine going in but he's dragging the nurses back out to the car when he's done and basically undoing the therapy! I also feel like I'm taking a risk with everything that's happening going to the vets once a week as well as risking staff in case I'm carrying this thing and not realising.

Just weird times we're in guys. Also got an insurance letter for Lucy this morning and just :(:( Miss her so much - it was 3 months on the 26th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Dogs are loving us home all the time, how's everyone doing?
    I have enough gardening to do to last at least a month, possibly 2, depends how sore I get digging and moving stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

mymo wrote: »
    Dogs are loving us home all the time, how's everyone doing?
    I have enough gardening to do to last at least a month, possibly 2, depends how sore I get digging and moving stuff.

We’re doing good here but I think my cats may be the opposite, they’re sick of having us at home :pac:
    Really though they’re not in that much of a different routine as my mam was retired before any of this started so there was someone home all day anyway. Trying to find different things to keep my occupied during all this, but already on day 4 of lockdown I groomed my uncles dog (who lives on the same land as us) so big the end of it I’ll end up grooming my girlfriend just to keep my skills up :D

I've just noticed graces7 hasn't posted in a few weeks, hope she's OK

mymo wrote: »
    I've just noticed graces7 hasn't posted in a few weeks, hope she's OK

A poster on another thread was chatting with her and she's grand. Just taking a break for a while.

A poster on another thread was chatting with her and she's grand. Just taking a break for a while.

Thank you, I was going to pm her, good to know she's OK.

I think the skittish new cat has worms. :( Caught her dragging her bum on the carpet earlier. Gonna have to try catch her now to get her to the vet (assuming they'll see us, not sure what the situation is with vets these days). I may get all my heaviest clothes on in preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I think the skittish new cat has worms. :( Caught her dragging her bum on the carpet earlier. Gonna have to try catch her now to get her to the vet (assuming they'll see us, not sure what the situation is with vets these days). I may get all my heaviest clothes on in preparation.
    Procedure with our local vet is you phone first, make the appointment, ring when you arrive outside and they call you in, or possibly just take your cat in and you wait outside.
    If it's just meds you want, you ring, order what you want, pay by card on the phone, ring when you're ouside and they hand you out the meds.

First hand experience on Saturday... we needed flea treatments!

Rancid wrote: »
    Procedure with our local vet is you phone first, make the appointment, ring when you arrive outside and they call you in, or possibly just take your cat in and you wait outside.
    If it's just meds you want, you ring, order what you want, pay by card on the phone, ring when you're ouside and they hand you out the meds.

First hand experience on Saturday... we needed flea treatments!

Same with our vets, had to bring the cat on Friday after he got into a fight and got hurt 😔

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I just spent half an hour trying to tune my guitar and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working till I finally realised my tuner was set to violin :pac:. I couldn't figure out how it was so badly off and thought the tuner was broken. I'd even started downloading a tuner app to my phone when I realised. :rolleyes:

I heard a fox yelling outside this evening for the first time in years. If you don’t know what it is, it sounds terrifying but nice to know there’s a bit of wildlife around! Hopefully they won’t get too near my neighbours hens :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I heard a fox yelling outside this evening for the first time in years. If you don’t know what it is, it sounds terrifying but nice to know there’s a bit of wildlife around! Hopefully they won’t get too near my neighbours hens :)

Loads of urban foxes around our area with the botanics, convents etc. People have had them in the gardens sunning themselves lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Cat Experts - is there any product I can buy that I can give to a very very neglected long haired cat, that lives outdoors and is semi-feral - to help improve its coat. Its not my cat - its an elderly neighbours - its sole purpose is for vermin control - so just about fed, nothing else. Its coat is in a state - Ive been feeding it while neighbour in hospital, and have managed to cut most of the revolting mats off. Its skin underneath isnt great looking. Its always had a very bad coat - mats and clumps hanging off etc. Im feeding it up as I say, and its letting me pet it now. But need to help coat condition if at all possible?

The kitten caught her first mouse this evening. She was out pouncing on it when me and the Newfie got back from his walk. I let the lead go so he could go play with her while I shut the gate. I just assumed they were chasing a moth! I had the front door open and was bringing the big lad in when I heard squeaking coming from his mouth. Didn't take much figuring out after that. Thankfully he dropped it when I asked him to! Then commenced the torture, while the two adult cats watched. I know she still has it out on the lawn even though she's come in for the night now. A bird will probably take it when it gets bright.

Most amusing is how kitten was growling and hunched over her mouse when either myself or the other cats even looked at it; but the Newfie she practically invited over to see what she had.

There's only about two months age difference between them, they have grown up together and genuinely appear to think they're siblings. Wouldn't know it to look at them anyway! Not many similarities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

aonb wrote: »
    Cat Experts - is there any product I can buy that I can give to a very very neglected long haired cat, that lives outdoors and is semi-feral - to help improve its coat. Its not my cat - its an elderly neighbours - its sole purpose is for vermin control - so just about fed, nothing else. Its coat is in a state - Ive been feeding it while neighbour in hospital, and have managed to cut most of the revolting mats off. Its skin underneath isnt great looking. Its always had a very bad coat - mats and clumps hanging off etc. Im feeding it up as I say, and its letting me pet it now. But need to help coat condition if at all possible?

There is no easy solution. With tight mats close to the skin can grooming can be very painful.
    You need to organise a vet appointment and get the cat into a carrier. The vet will sedate for grooming/shaving.

There is a Royal Canin cat food specifically for hair and skin care that you could feed it but really the best course of action is what auspicious suggested, a vet visit is what's needed.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    There is a Royal Canin cat food specifically for hair and skin care that you could feed it but really the best course of action is what auspicious suggested, a vet visit is what's needed.

Thank you both.
    Taking this cat, which is not mine, to a vet for grooming is not on unfortunately. Im taking care of it 'on the quiet' as I hate to see it looking so bedraggled. My elderly neighbour would NOT be happy if I intrude with her cat...
    Ive already cut all of the mats off, its remaining coat is very thin/wispy, and completely bare in places - Im putting a little oil in its food once/day, and feeding it x3/day. Is there any product I can add to her food to improve her coat, or put on her skin??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Thank you both.
    Taking this cat, which is not mine, to a vet for grooming is not on unfortunately. Im taking care of it 'on the quiet' as I hate to see it looking so bedraggled. My elderly neighbour would NOT be happy if I intrude with her cat...
    Ive already cut all of the mats off, its remaining coat is very thin/wispy, and completely bare in places - Im putting a little oil in its food once/day, and feeding it x3/day. Is there any product I can add to her food to improve her coat, or put on her skin??

More oil imo, like a can of sardines IN OIL 2/3 times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Cats are normally meticulous groomers, has he always had a poor coat? I'd be thinking that he might have a sore mouth preventing him from grooming? In that case no amount of oil in food will fix it. Any idea how old he might be?

Her coat has always been very inclined to be matted/felted. She is very very long haired (ginger/tabby type) Because she is semi-feral, it used to be hard to get close to her, but Ive always noticed that her fur was in bad shape. Im not quite sure how old she is - maybe 3 or 6 years old. Zero chance of me inspecting her mouth/teeth :o She lets me stroke her a tiny bit now, but is VERY skittish. She is outdoors only, and seems to sleep in a wrecked shed, so has had a pretty tough life, poor cat.

• Advertisement

I’m in the middle of giving the grooming parlour a very thorough deep clean in preparation of opening again - hopefully - for the second phase of reopenings in June. It’s amazing how so much dog hair can get into every single crack and crevice in the place :pac: I thought my daily cleaning was good, the place never looks dirty and never has that damp dog smell I’ve noticed in other salons, but oh my god you’d swear I had never cleaned the place before! :o
    Trying to come up with new drop off/collection procedures to enable social distancing is fun too, usually I’d just be handed the dogs lead, or even the dog, straight from the owner but I’ve ordered a play pen off amazon for owners to drop the dogs in, and am hoping to find someplace cheap to source slip leads so owners can bring home their leads and collars!

Advertisement