Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clear Skies

• 25-03-2020 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Just noticed on Flight Radar no aircraft over the island of Ireland, Scotland & Wales. Rare enough I'd imagine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Get used to it...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

XLR 8 wrote: »
    Just noticed on Flight Radar no aircraft over the island of Ireland, Scotland & Wales. Rare enough I'd imagine.
    And the weather is beautiful and very pretty sunsets in the evenings I wonder are these things connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

iamtony wrote:
    And the weather is beautiful and very pretty sunsets in the evenings I wonder are these things connected.

Far less chemtrails around, of course these are connected

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

There is frequently no aircraft over Ireland at that hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Far less chemtrails around, of course these are connected

I'd love official data on it. This is a once in a life time experiment to see the impact of aviation on the world. I'm sure someone is monitoring it.
    Maybe this is the kick in the teeth us humans needed to make nessisary changes, time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

3 trails over my house this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

iamtony wrote: »
    I'd love official data on it. This is a once in a life time experiment to see the impact of aviation on the world. I'm sure someone is monitoring it.
    Maybe this is the kick in the teeth us humans needed to make nessisary changes, time will tell.

it would be a very interesting study, but us humans have a tendency to be slow to change, i expect normal aviation activity to return some time after this passes

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Those actually require there to be particles in the air to reflect/refract/diffuse the light so it's unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Comhrá

If I recall correctly, after 9/11 when transatlantic air travel was paused for just a few days, some studies suggested the atmosphere was somewhat cleaner. I'll see if I can dig up some links.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2934513/empty-skies-after-911-set-the-stage-for-an-unlikely-climate-change-experiment/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/climatechange/2009/05/911_contrails_study_challenged.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Comhra wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, after 9/11 when transatlantic air travel was paused for just a few days, some studies suggested the atmosphere was somewhat cleaner. I'll see if I can dig up some links.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2934513/empty-skies-after-911-set-the-stage-for-an-unlikely-climate-change-experiment/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/climatechange/2009/05/911_contrails_study_challenged.html

Remember that car usage is also down to near zero around Europe as most of the continent is on lockdown. We're also using less electricity so those emissions are down too.

Unlike in 2001, when car or energy usage didn't reduce, it won't be possible to separate the out the reduction of emissions from the aviation industry from other reductions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Cars, factories, planes, the whole lot will have a very marked impact on emissions. Not sure what that'll tell us that we didn't already know, mind you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Aviation accounts for approx 3% of emissions, so I expect a drop of under 3% from airline grounding.
    Factories and vehicles account for a larger percentage.

Tenger wrote: »
    Aviation accounts for approx 3% of emissions, so I expect a drop of under 3% from airline grounding.
    Factories and vehicles account for a larger percentage.

It always surprises me that people don’t know that above fact.

Aviation is always thrown out there as the big evil for both emissions and noise. When in fact it, as an individual element, is a small contributor to emissions. The main reason people think it is the big evil one is because it is easily targeted and gets the most publicity when it is targeted.

Agriculture is a huge contributor, but how do you boycott that industry and get the same impact by camping out on a runway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Industry kept going after Sept 11 and during the Icelandic volcano shutdown there will be atmosphere data for those periods to compare with this when industry and other transport is also closed in significant part.

Advertisement