Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meath GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Is it just my computer/internet or have they stopped updating the fixtures and results sections of the Meath GAA website?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Is it just my computer/internet or have they stopped updating the fixtures and results sections of the Meath GAA website?

Ciaran Flynn was saying on We are Meath the other week they are in the process of changing the site as the current service isn't good. The app is worth having if you have a smart phone. It's always well up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭enricoh

Any chance of us staying in division one if the last 2 games get called off?
    No clear Gap so no one in division 2 promoted yet. Or will they just be played behind closed doors?

enricoh wrote: »
    Any chance of us staying in division one if the last 2 games get called off?
    No clear Gap so no one in division 2 promoted yet. Or will they just be played behind closed doors?

Don't think anyone can speculate really, it's uncharted territory.

Looking at results from 2001 it doesn't look like foot and mouth interrupted the overall league arrangements.

I'd say unless the disease escalates severely, the GAA will power through and finish off the fixtures by next Sunday in order to avoid major fixture headaches. The last round might be behind closed doors if needs be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I think the hurlers stayed up in division 1 at least partially due to foot and mouth. If I remember correctly, we beat Dublin and the Antrim game was called off because of the outbreak and we were eventually awarded that game. But we were already in a position to stay up in that case.
    Footballers won't be kept up when they're already mathematically down, nor should they.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Dickie10

it wont be far off behind closed doors on sunday anyway , very few meath people heading into croke park on sunday , its a complete dead rubber game for us now. Bad enough having to play Dublin every second year in the dud Leinster finals with the atmosphere of a wake without going to a meaningless game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

All Meath games and training suspended for clubs. Fair play to the county board. Wonder will the GAA follow suit and suspend inter counry.

Edit: seems they have. Right decision

dobman88 wrote: »
    All Meath games and training suspended for clubs. Fair play to the county board. Wonder will the GAA follow suit and suspend inter counry.

Edit: seems they have. Right decision

Have to give them their due, it was announced quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

rpurfield wrote: »
    Have to give them their due, it was announced quick enough.

Yeah. Very impressed with it. Didnt wait for the official announcement and made the right call of their own accord. Manager stuck it in the ClubZap group that we are done training for now. Not sure will clubs actually stick to the no training policy but happy to see my manager just call it off.

So with nothing to do for two weeks on the game front, here's an idea I've shamelessly robbed from Twitter and tweaked a bit. Name your best 15 in your time following Meath. I'll kick it off, you can explain yourself if you want also. My first game was as a 7 year old in 1990.

1. Cormac Sullivan
    2. Bob O'Malley
    3. Darren Fay
    4. Donal Keogan
    5. Paddy Reynolds
    6. Enda McManus
    7. Martin O'Connell
    8. Liam Hayes
    9. John McDermott
    10. Shane O'Rourke
    11. Trevor Giles
    12. Graham Geraghty
    13. Colm O'Rourke
    14. Stephen Bray
    15. Ollie Murphy

It's tougher than you think! If you ask me again next week I'll probably have a different forward line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

So with nothing to do for two weeks on the game front, here's an idea I've shamelessly robbed from Twitter and tweaked a bit. Name your best 15 in your time following Meath. I'll kick it off, you can explain yourself if you want also. My first game was as a 7 year old in 1990.

1. Cormac Sullivan
    2. Bob O'Malley
    3. Darren Fay
    4. Donal Keogan
    5. Paddy Reynolds
    6. Enda McManus
    7. Martin O'Connell
    8. Liam Hayes
    9. John McDermott
    10. Shane O'Rourke
    11. Trevor Giles
    12. Graham Geraghty
    13. Colm O'Rourke
    14. Stephen Bray
    15. Ollie Murphy

It's tougher than you think! If you ask me again next week I'll probably have a different forward line.

My heart was in my mouth any time Paddy Reynolds got the ball, that being said, he did amazingly in some big games for such a volatile player. All heart, but Jesus, a liability.

1. Cormac Sullivan
    2. Cormac Murphy
    3. Darren Fay
    4. Donal Keogan
    5. Paddy Reynolds
    6. Hank Traynor
    7. Martin O'Connell
    8. Nigel Crawford
    9. John McDermott
    10. Evan Kelly
    11. Trevor Giles
    12. Graham Geraghty
    13. Brendan Reilly
    14. Stephen Bray
    15. Ollie Murphy

My first game wasn't until 1993 and I didn't really go to many games until 1996 so some from the late 80s/early 90s don't make it simply because I didn't see them in the flesh.
    Forward line is very difficult. Some, like Trevor, Ollie and Graham, you simply have to include. But you could have Tommy Dowd, Donal Curtis, Richie Kealy, Joe, Brian Farrell among others.
    In the backs, it was a toss up between Mark O'Reilly and Spud Murphy to join Keogan and rpurfield will be delighted at the winner :pac:

It will be interesting to see if any rumours surface of clubs training between the 12th and 29th. Our club's senior team all received a message saying training off but it accompanied a long prescription of running, expected to be completed by each player individually by the 29th.

I'd say there's few conflicted Meath & Liverpool fans! On the one hand they'll want the leagues reset so Meath can avoid relegation, but they'll also say it makes sense for the premier league to stand so Liverpool can win the title...

1. Cormac Sullivan
    2. Cormac Murphy
    3. Darren Fay
    4. Donal Keogan
    5. Paddy Reynolds
    6. Hank Traynor
    7. Martin O'Connell
    8. Nigel Crawford
    9. John McDermott
    10. Evan Kelly
    11. Trevor Giles
    12. Graham Geraghty
    13. Brendan Reilly
    14. Stephen Bray
    15. Ollie Murphy

My first game wasn't until 1993 and I didn't really go to many games until 1996 so some from the late 80s/early 90s don't make it simply because I didn't see them in the flesh.
    Forward line is very difficult. Some, like Trevor, Ollie and Graham, you simply have to include. But you could have Tommy Dowd, Donal Curtis, Richie Kealy, Joe, Brian Farrell among others.
    In the backs, it was a toss up between Mark O'Reilly and Spud Murphy to join Keogan and rpurfield will be delighted at the winner :pac:

Left Spud out myself so I wasn't accused of just putting the Pats lads in. Mickey Burke told a great story he heard about Spud on his We Are Meath interview. I forget the year but either 97 or 98 he was dropped off the panel and basically ignored it and kept turning up to sessions. Eventually Sean Boylan relented and let him back in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Sonny678

1. Cormac Sullivan
    2. Bob O'Malley
    3. Darren Fay
    4. Donal Keogan
    5. Paddy Reynolds
    6. Enda McManus
    7. Martin O'Connell
    8. Liam Hayes
    9. John McDermott
    10. Shane O'Rourke
    11. Trevor Giles
    12. Graham Geraghty
    13. Colm O'Rourke
    14. Stephen Bray
    15. Ollie Murphy

I cannot believe Tommy Dowd is not picked. Tommy Dowd won 4 All stars, 3 in a row eg 94,95,96. Put that into perspective Meaths forwards with most All Star. Tommy Dowd has won more all stars then any Meath forward in hsitory. No Meath footballer has won more All Stars then Tommy Dowd, he is only Meath footballer to win 4 all stars. He was an excellent wing forward, but also an excellent target man and excellent inside forward, an excellent finisher, who was very strong but also very skilful. Stephen Bray is our last great forward. But Tommy Dowd was greater player, rarely had a bad game, thats why he won 4 all stars. A great player.

Tommy Dowd 4 All stars
    Colm O Rourke 3 All Stars
    Brian Stafford 3 All stars
    Trevor Giles 3 All Stars
    Bernard Flynn 2 All stars
    David Beggy 2 All Stars
    Graham Geraghty 2 All stars
    Ollie Murphy 2 All Stars

Best Team

1 Cormac Sullivan
    2 Robbie O Malley
    3 Mick Lyons
    4 Darren Fay
    5 Donal Keoghan
    6 Liam Harnan
    7 Martin O Connell
    8 Gerry McEntee
    9 John McDermont
    10 Tommy Dowd
    11 Trevour Giles
    12 Graham Geraghty
    13 Colm O Rourke
    14 Brian Stafford
    15 Bernard Flynn

So again my team
    1 Cormac Sullivan We have never had Martin Furlong or Billy Morgan or Cluxton, but Sullivan was the most consistent
    2 Robbie O Malley. The only corner back along with Marc O Se to win Footballer of the year. Michael Muirtearaigh said he was best right corner back he ever saw play
    3 Mick Lyons The best full back of the 1980s.
    4 Darren Fay The best full back of the 90s. You cannot leave Fay or lyons out. Fay could have played in any postion in the backs
    5 Donal Keoghan One of the best defenders in Meath in last 40 years
    6 Liam Harnan The best centre back Meath have had in last 40 years
    7 Martin O Connell He won Footballer of the year and was voted the greatest left half back ever on the team of the millenium
    8 Gerry McEntee One member of the best midfield partnership in the country at the end of 80s eg Hayes/McEntee
    9 John McDermont Captain of sucessful international rules team and at his peak best midfielder in the country
    10 Tommy Dowd 4 time All star, one of the best forwards in the country in mid 90s
    11 Trevour Giles The only player ever to win Footballer of the year twice, One of the best playermaker centre forwards of the last 40 years
    12 Graham Geraghty Won All stars in defence and the forwards. The most talented footballer to ever play for Meath
    13 Colm O Rourke At his peak was the best forward in the country.Also won footballer of the year. The best Meath footballer of the last 40 years
    14 Brian Stafford Meaths greatest freetaker and one of the great freetaker, also won Footballer of the Year, a very skilful intelligent player
    15 Bernard Flynn Along with Ollie Murphy the two best inside forwards Meath have produced in last 40 years. Flynn at his peak was the best corner forward in the country. His performance in league final in 88 is considered the greatest display by Meath forward in Croke Park ever. Mickey Sheedy said Flynns performance in 91 All Ireland final was the best ever by a corner forward in a final. Flynn was nominated as RTE Sports Personality of the Year 91 , the only footballer on the list.

Last year's knockout games are now available for free on the Meath app.

Sonny678 wrote: »
    I cannot believe Tommy Dowd is not picked. Tommy Dowd won 4 All stars, 3 in a row eg 94,95,96. Put that into perspective Meaths forwards with most All Star. Tommy Dowd has won more all stars then any Meath forward in hsitory. No Meath footballer has won more All Stars then Tommy Dowd, he is only Meath footballer to win 4 all stars. He was an excellent wing forward, but also an excellent target man and excellent inside forward, an excellent finisher, who was very strong but also very skilful. Stephen Bray is our last great forward. But Tommy Dowd was greater player, rarely had a bad game, thats why he won 4 all stars. A great player.

Tommy Dowd 4 All stars
    Colm O Rourke 3 All Stars
    Brian Stafford 3 All stars
    Trevor Giles 3 All Stars
    Bernard Flynn 2 All stars
    David Beggy 2 All Stars
    Graham Geraghty 2 All stars
    Ollie Murphy 2 All Stars

That's what I was saying Sonny if I was picking it next week he could be in with a good few others, we've been spoiled with brilliant forwards over the years!

That's what I was saying Sonny if I was picking it next week he could be in with a good few others, we've been spoiled with brilliant forwards over the years!

Oh sorry I missed your last line. We have being blessed with great forwards we always had better forwards then Dublin in 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s even the 00s, its only in this decade Dublin have produced better forwards then us. But for me this is best 6 forwards we produced since mid 80s its basically the half forward line of 96 with full forward line of 87 88. This forward line includes 3 different footballers of the year.
    10 Tommy Dowd 11 Trevor Giles 12 Graham Geraghty
    13 Colm O Rourke 14 Brian Stafford 15 Bernard Flynn

What about 20 Greatest Players ever to play for Meath here would be mine from 1 to 20. O Rourke being my number 1. In the order I would rate the player 1 to 20 .

1 Colm O Rourke
    2 Peter McDermont
    3 Trevor Giles
    4 Jack Quinn
    5 Paddy O Brien
    6 Darren Fay
    7 Martin O Connell
    8 Graham Geraghty
    9 Mick Lyons
    10 Bertie Cunningham
    11 Robbie O Malley
    12 Tommy Dowd
    13 Mattie Kerrigan
    14 Brian Stafford
    15 Ken Rennicks
    16 Bernard Flynn
    17 Pat Reynolds Snr
    18 Ollie Murphy
    19 Mick O Brien
    20 John McDermont

Other notable Mentions
    Gerry McEntee, Joe Cassells, Kevin McConnell, Paddy Meegan, Brian Symth, Donal Keoghan, Pat Collier, Mark Reilly, Liam Hayes.
    Again its only my list, Im sure others will have their own list.

• Advertisement

id have graham geraghty a lot higher even on longevity alone the man was so fit he was never injured, only black mark agasinst him was discipline, lost two leinster titles because of that and perhaps all ireland tilts, 1997 and 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Dickie10 wrote: »
    id have graham geraghty a lot higher even on longevity alone the man was so fit he was never injured, only black mark agasinst him was discipline, lost two leinster titles because of that and perhaps all ireland tilts, 1997 and 2000

Part of his game was playing on the edge. You may name two games you feel Meath lost because of that but I’m sure there are plenty of games where his cuteness and physicality got Meath over the line.

Geraghty did play on the edge but jaysus he was one of the most underprotected players by referees. I'm still baffled at how Noel O'Leary managed to get only a yellow card for punching him in the face in the 2007 semi final. Even worse was the referee stood over his initial decision after the game after viewing footage of it. I know we were hockeyed in the end in that game but playing 60 minutes with a man extra could have made the difference.
    Similar incident against Carlow the year before when a punch to the face in front of the referee deserved nothing more than a hop ball.

Again, I'm not old enough to remember a lot of our greats, but I haven't seen a more skillful player put on the Meath jersey in my time. Yes, his attitude and ego let him down at times, but on his day he was just incredible.

Any excuse to post this:

that game is unreal , like v tyrone he destroyed them in 96 and 11 years later does it agin, interestingly Brian Dooher was as quiet in 2007 as he was in 96

The Meath GAA app will be shut down at the end of the month :(
    That's very disappointing. Thought it was an excellent resource to have and was something where the county board were ahead of the game in comparison to others.
    They are going to look into streaming games another way.

I got 10/10. It sort of helped that I watched the game on Eir Sports the other day. :D

I see a number of Meath goals posted in the best goals thread, just wondering if anyone can remember the best Meath point they've ever seen?

A few stick out for me. Brendan Reilly's winner in the 1996 final replay never gets the credit it deserves, I feel! The way he turns the Mayo corner back inside out and then floats it over with such little space was phenomenal before you even consider the fact that it was so late in an All Ireland Final.

You can probably take your pick from almost all of Jody Devine's points in the 1997 replay against Kildare. Don't know if there was a more inspirational performance by a substitute.

Graham Geraghty got an absolute beauty from close to the sideline against Dublin in 2005 (which featured the infamous Ciaran Whelan punch at the throw in).

Cian Ward's leveler from the sideline against Dublin in the 2007 Leinster quarter final.

Probably the best free Cian Ward had in a Meath shirt was from about 60m out against Kildare in the last game in the league one year (for the life of me, can't remember the year) that drew the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

I see a number of Meath goals posted in the best goals thread, just wondering if anyone can remember the best Meath point they've ever seen?

A few stick out for me. Brendan Reilly's winner in the 1996 final replay never gets the credit it deserves, I feel! The way he turns the Mayo corner back inside out and then floats it over with such little space was phenomenal before you even consider the fact that it was so late in an All Ireland Final.

You can probably take your pick from almost all of Jody Devine's points in the 1997 replay against Kildare. Don't know if there was a more inspirational performance by a substitute.

Graham Geraghty got an absolute beauty from close to the sideline against Dublin in 2005 (which featured the infamous Ciaran Whelan punch at the throw in).

Cian Ward's leveler from the sideline against Dublin in the 2007 Leinster quarter final.

Probably the best free Cian Ward had in a Meath shirt was from about 60m out against Kildare in the last game in the league one year (for the life of me, can't remember the year) that drew the game.

Big Joe down in Mullingar in possibly the wettest day there ever was...pulled on a ball on the ground from what seemed like halfway (about the 45 in reality) and drove it over the bar! Pity there was never any video footage of it but will live long in the memory.

• Advertisement

^
    Completely forgot about that one. An inch or two lower and that would be in the greatest goals thread.

Advertisement