Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Abyss Gazes Also

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

Fri 60min treadmill; 45min S&C

Sat 90min treadmill

20min 8kph pace 0.5%
    15min 11kph pace 1%
    15min 13kph pace 1.5%
    15min 13kph pace 2%
    15min 11kph pace 1%
    10min 8kph 0%

Done on the new treadmill (the old one borked), and to be honest this felt a good deal harder than the paces would suggest. I'll have to look into speed calibration.

Sun 9th 1:10 turbo
    Main: 4*(8min 270W+, 2min EZ)

Mon Rest

Tue 1:30 turbo over/under

Wed Rest

Thurs Travel to Lanza; 1,900m swim
    400paddles
    400 free steady
    400paddles
    400 free steady

Fri 3,000m swim; 3:10 bike
    400wu
    12*50k off 90s
    20*50 paddles off 70s
    6*100 free off 2:00, desc 1-3
    200swimdown

Bike:Took a wrong turn at Teguise and missed the planned northern loop, but no harm at all. Perfect roads, except for one 5k boneshakin’ “short cut”

Sat 3,100m swim; 1:20 run; 50min bike
    400wu
    8*50k on 90s
    8*50 paddle on 60
    9*200 on 4:00 (desc 1-3)
    100 easy

Run: This felt tougher than the 5:40/km pace would suggest, on tired legs and under an energy sapping sun.

Bike:
    15min easy
    4*(4min uphill overgear, 2min coast down)
    15min easy

Sun 3:40 bike; 15min OW swim
    It’s a pretty distinct landscape, hard solidified lava battered by constant heat and wind. Even though it’s a very cycle friendly island I was still nervous on a few windy ascents and descents, wary of slipping down the steep gullies by the roadside. Thats more to do with my lack of bike handling skills; the drivers here are more than courteous and could teach Irish drivers a thing or two about safe passing.

Mon 3,100m swim
    20 * 100 as 5 sets of 4, desc 1-4 - take extra 60 between sets ... off 1.45

Tue travel back

Wed Rest

Thurs 30min progressive treadmill

Fri 45min turbo
    4 * 4 mins at 7-8 PE with 2 mins between recovery

Sat Rest

Sun 1:30 progressive run
    20 mins conversational pace
    40 mins at 6 out of 10
    20 mins at 8 out of 10
    10 mins super easy to finish

Catching up on the past couple of weeks. I went to Lanzarote for a few days, had the kids and mother in tow so its wasn't all about training- that said I was happy with what I got done for the few days. A couple of long spins, swimming in the 50m pool every day, eating and sleeping well. First time I've done that warm-weather trip and I'd certainly do it again (for slightly longer if possible). Came back feeling refreshed (if a little tired due to mild cold) and thankfully missed storm Dennis in Ireland, and also missed the current sandstorms in Lanza by a few days.

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 24th Feb|6.15k easyrun; 60 min Masters|kicks and drills
    Tue|20min Fastlane; 63min turbo; 30min easy run|4*(10 mins 8PE, 2 mins recovery)
    Wed|60min treadmill; 3.8k Masters|Hill repeats; 400TT 6:16, 200TT 3:18
    Thurs|45min turbo|
    Fri|30min easy run|
    Sat|100min trail run| Very muddy Annagh Hill loop
    Sun|1:50 turbo|main 6*(10min PE8, 5min EZ)

The biggest surprise of the week was the unexpected 400TT, I swam very controlled throughout and it was faster than I would have anticipated. I died during the 200TT that followed it though! Running and biking continue to be consistent- overall I'm happy enough being where I am at the start of March.

The first event if the year will be National Masters LC Champs in Limerick this weekend. This will be the least prepared I'll have been in all the years doing it- swimming hasn't been a focus and is only starting to come together now, so I won't expect any great performances. I've entered the 1,500, 400, 50 free, 200IM and 200back, and will be aiming to complete rather than compete. The main "goal" is sub 6:30 for the LC 400, and I will consider it an achievement to dip under 26mins for the 1,500. Heat sheets have just come out and I'm in the gutter lane for the long swim- don't expect I'll trouble the lad in lane 3 anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

I think one of us is sandbagging with his entry time (i.e. you) and one of us was wildly over optimistic on his entry time (i.e. me).

Your 400m TT puts you in a better place than me I think. Although I’m happy with my swimming at the minute my swim fitness is very poor so I’ll have a similar goal to you in the 1,500m.

Will be good to have a race within a race:)

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 2nd Mar|6k easy run; 60 min Masters|drills and fast 25's
    Tue|20min Fastlane; 45min turbo; 30min easy run|4*(4 mins 8PE, 2 mins recovery)
    Wed|70min treadmill progressive; 3.8k Masters|Masters warmup was 1,500 steady in 26min
    Thurs|70 min turbo|4 * (8 mins 8 PE, 2 mins recovery)
    Fri|Rest|
    Sat|Rest|
    Sun|Rest|

Well the National Masters LC Champs in Limerick never happened- kids brought a cold home and I had no energy by Friday. Going by Wed's 1,500 time, I would have dipped under 26min racing LC, but doubtful if I would have come close to Griff's time on the night, plaudits and kudos go to him :D

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 9th Mar|Rest|
    Tue|45min turbo|4*(4 mins 8PE, 2 mins recovery)
    Wed|Rest|
    Thurs|Rest|
    Fri|30min run| along the forest path
    Sat|Rest|
    Sun|60 min turbo|4*(10 mins 8PE, 2 mins recovery)

A poor week, coming back from a cold and then my career got in the way... my job is based around investments and this was the worst week ever. Thankfully the vast majority of my clients are invested primarily in lower-Risk categories, but the fallout from coronavirus will have long-term financial implications for everyone...

...which brings me to the main reason for starting logging again. I realise I'm extremely lucky to have a backyard training facility, to live in the countryside, and to have my health (fingers crossed). Social interaction will be curtailed for some time, and we are lucky in many respects to have (had!;)) a good Triathlon community on this forum. Hopefully everyone gets to keep up their training somewhat over the next month or two, and gets to stay positive mentally and physically.

• Advertisement

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 16th Mar|20min Fastlane; 45min treadmill|
    Tue|90min turbo|unders/overs
    Wed|20min Fastlane; 60min treadmill progressive; 10min OW|first sea swim of the year
    Thurs|10min OW|
    Fri|45 min turbo|4 * (4 mins 8 PE, 2 mins recovery)
    Sat|10min OW, 10k trail run|
    Sun|40min easy turbo|

A very stressful work week as financial markets continued to crash and the virus continued to spread around the world.

On a much happier note I managed to get three dips in the sea which will help with acclimatising. The first on Wednesday, hands were so sore for the first couple of minutes but after that it was probably the best 10mins of the past month- so peaceful and calm out there, away from all the stress and news and bother. Thursdays swim felt mildly less cold, and Saturdays was in a very stormy sea, so rough that we couldn't actually get out beyond the breakers. Luckily there is a river just off the beach that was calm, if very cold.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thinking of heading to the sea myself..assume you did skins?
    I usually hit the water end of April but it's a few weeks since I swam now as I was avoiding the pool/gym long before it shut and had had flu, even then I hadn't been swimming much the last 6 months or so.

"I wish I swam less in the sea", said no-one ever- go for it!

This is 6 weeks earlier than I'd usually get in. Even with a generous coating of natural blubber, I'm too much of a wuss to try skins this time of year! Wetsuit and 3 swim caps, swam breastroke or Tarzan so the face didn't go under to often. Others swam with gloves and boots and said it was more comfortable.

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 23rd Mar|20min Fastlane; 45min treadmill|fartlek doing a hill program
    Tue|60min turbo|4 * (10 mins 8 PE, 2 mins recovery)
    Wed|20min Fastlane; 75min treadmill/drills|planks, Russian twists, squats, lifts, etc
    Thurs|20min Fastlane; 60min hilly trails|
    Fri|20min Fastlane|
    Sat|20min Fastlane|
    Sun|20min Fastlane; 40min easy turbo|

Focus on the positives... I "discovered" the trails around Askamore, local enough but new to me. It was a perfect place to run around, alas it will be a while before I see them again.

Looks like no OW swimming for a while, but I'm lucky to have the Fastlane. There's a lot worse places to hunker down a couple of weeks than this little corner of the world... stay sane everyone.

Mon 30min Fastlane, 90 mins run/circuits

This past month have felt surreal for everyone, like HG Wells Martians arriving. Trying to deal with it is difficult (and fully aware that others are impacted to more severe degree), and the certainty of starting each day with a short swim is helping very much. I had a hungover New Years day conversation with a couple of brothers-in-law; giving out about US politics, Brexit, the professionally homeless in Ireland, etc,... how we would love to go back to those simple arguments. Even at the time we all agreed we "never had it so good", and times like this tend to make you appreciate what you have. To that end I'm very appreciative of being able to swim while pools are shut and the sea is off limits (from where I live).

Rounded out a long work day with a mixture of of 60mins runs/circuits, followed by a decent progressive run on the treadmill.

Tue 30min Fastlane, 63 mins turbo

Another early swim, another hectic day at work, and another decent workout to let off a bit of steam. Main set was 4*10min at PE8+, putting a decent bit of effort into these, around a very crowded Strava New York.

• Advertisement

Wed 20min Fastlane; 30min treadmill hills

A decent swim this morning, there is nothing better than a current of cool water massaging a bald pate for waking the day.

intermission was another very busy day, but we won't focus on that

Rounded off with a treadmill workout that I had to drag myself down for, but am now very glad I did.
    10min EZ
    6*(40s fast @ 10% elevation, 1min EZ)
    10min progressive 13kph to 16kph

Thurs 30min Fastlane; 60min Turbo

Fastlane:
    5min steady
    5min kick
    20min pb progressively faster

There's more turbulence in a Fastlane than a proper pool, and it's easy for the legs to drift out from centre and throw off your stroke. In a sense this is a bonus, as it forces you to use your kick more to keep a straight line, or use your core more for the same reason when using a pb.

Turbo:
    5min EZ
    5*(30s 400W+, 30s easy)
    4*(8min PE7/8, 2min EZ)
    5min EZ

Just a run-of-the-mill standard session, but a decent use of the hour and always good to sweat out the office day.

Day|Session|Comment
    Mon 30th Mar|30min Fastlane; 90min treadmill/drills|planks, Russian twists, squats, lifts, etc
    Tue|30min Fastlane; 60min turbo|4 * (10 mins 8 PE, 2 mins recovery)
    Wed|20min Fastlane; 30min treadmill|hill session
    Thurs|30min Fastlane; 60min turbo|4 * (8 mins 7/8 PE, 2 mins recovery)
    Fri|20min Fastlane|
    Sat|20min Fastlane|
    Sun|20min Fastlane; 60min turbo|4 * (10 mins 8 PE, 2 mins recovery)

Solid enough week on the swim front (appreciate everyone is dying to swim so won't dwell on this:o), some decent turbo work, but I missed one run based session yesterday. I've a feeling we'll be ordered not to train outside soon, so I intend getting out for runs this week (heart of the countryside where I live, so wouldn't pass anyone anyways).
    Keep on keeping on everyone, one week at a time.

I am jealous of your ability to keep swimming, it’s the ability to keep doing the things we like that keep us sane!!

Like you I live in the arse end of nowhere, and managed to run 16km yesterday without seeing another person and only a couple of cars, whilst never being more than 2km from home. I’m trying to get out pretty much every day to clear the head.

I haven’t put the turbo tyre on the bike yet, but I fear that’s only a couple of days away. Can start double days then :)

Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

I've a feeling we'll be ordered not to train outside soon

really ? because people are still going out and training away for longer periods of time than the government envisioned, i think the wording was "brief exercise " so going out and doing 2 hours up and down the road might not be what they were aiming for, or just as a further measure ..

woody1 wrote: »
    I've a feeling we'll be ordered not to train outside soon

really ? because people are still going out and training away for longer periods of time than the government envisioned, i think the wording was "brief exercise " so going out and doing 2 hours up and down the road might not be what they were aiming for, or just as a further measure ..

Hi woody, just a hunch based on what the UK health secretary said today, and also reports in Ireland saying groups of people (not necessarily those exercising) weren't practicing social distancing. I'm only speculating that the next "step" in viral spread management will reduce outside interaction further- nothing to back that up at all, its an uneducated opinion.

FWIW I'm lucky as I live in the countryside, I could choose any number of isolated routes where I'd meet no-one, imagine it's a lot harder for any city folk to follow social distancing. The current guidelines say 2km from home for exercise, they don't stipulate a time on that and best of luck to anyone who can get a decent workout done within those constraints. Its hugely important to maintain good physical and mental health in this stressful situation so for the moment its great we can train unhindered so long as we stay with the 2km guidelines. That was my larger point; I intend enjoying that freedom so long as we have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

In the same situation . On a normal day I could run for an hour and meet no one. But people in urban and built up areas how do you regulate it. Treadmill and turbo so lucky to have them .

The word ‘brief’ is not used in the government advice on the gov.ie website on exercise, only that you can’t exercise with people outside your household.

I think it’s urban runners who are suffering here, not sure how you can maintain distancing easily whilst running around a housing estate, so if I lived in Dublin I’d be keeping my training very brief.

Not sure we’ll see a complete ban on exercise outdoors, need to balance off the benefits of allowing people to get out of their house with the mental strains of living under what is essentially house arrest. But in saying that I haven’t been anywhere other than the supermarket for the last two weeks and even then was surprised at some of the poor distancing behaviour I seen, so if that is replicated more widely in cities I could see a tightening up for a week or two.

Mon 30min Fastlane; 60min circuits, 30min run

Swim:
    5min steady
    5min kick
    20min pb progressive

Circuits:
    3*{
    1k run
    1min plank
    1min Russian twist
    1 min scorpian
    1 min deep squat to over head press
    1 min overhead forward lunge
    1 min bulgarian split squat
    }

Run:
    1k easy
    2k 4:30pace
    2k 4:15pace
    1km easy
    Decent run straight after, around a local loop just within my 2k perimeter. First time outside in a while, hopefully the start of a Spring.

Today came the expected news that TI have cancelled all races up to the 30th June. I entered a few more after that date, but time will tell... whatever about the packed churches at Easter, its not looking too good for the season.

Tue 30min Fastlane; 72min FTP test

Swim:
    5min steady
    5min kick
    20min pb progressive

I think it's safe to say this "investment" has paid for itself over the past few weeks. You get in stressed, you get out with the stress washed away. I'd have been lost without it.

Turbo:
    There was a FTP program on Zwift, so I used that.
    20min EZ
    3*(20s 280W, 20s 340W, 20s 400W)
    5min EZ
    5min 340W+
    10min EZ
    20min FTP (ERG is off for this)
    10min EZ

I thought I was pushing during the prior 5min hard, but obviously not. Started the FTP aiming for 310-320W and crept up from there. The last 5 mins were pretty tough. I was happy to finish, but wasn't exhausted: make of that what you will.

Obviously the numbers wouldn't transfer to the road (or a different turbo sensor) but I presume they should be good enough to compare while using this turbo? Anyway, it's a marker of sorts, and it was a tough session.

• Advertisement

Wed 20min Fastlane; 60min hill session on treadmill

Swim:
    5min steady
    5min k
    5min pb
    5min sw

I'm getting a decent stroke at the moment, the consistency is showing results. A slightly faster arm return seems to be helping.

Run:
    15 mins easy .. incline 1-2%
    30 mins as 6 x {
    3 mins at PE 6/10 ... incline 2%
    2 mins at PE 8/10 ... incline 8%
    }
    5 mins easy .. incline 2%
    10 mins building from 12kph to 15kph ... incline 2%

This was tough... the 8% sets went on forever. Nice session though.

Thurs 30min Fastlane; 64 min turbo

I actually thought today was Friday, not that it matters, every day merges one into the next. What does matter is the act of swimming, for which I am eternally grateful to be currently able to do. Hopefully this lockdown ends soon and everyone can get back in the pools and lakes and sea.

Turbo: main 4*(10 min build 300-330W, 2 min EZ)
    There’s been a fair amount of intensity over the past few days and today continued that theme. Target zones have increased after the recent FTP test, and this session was accordingly tougher. That’s how it should be, hopefully all this training can be put to good use at a race or two this summer. My money says that’s more likely that not, although I’ll start praying to the patron Saint of lost causes (St. Jude?)

PS Hi Carol ;)

Fri 20min Fastlane

Rather too much wine last night (rather too much every night since this craziness began), but not enough to break the current swimming streak. Just a steady pace with a focus on stronger pull and follow through.

I've been enviously following friends who live by the sea, and their daily sea swims. Yesterday the RNLI issued a request that people cease sea swimming, so that freedom is now denied them. Thats gotta hurt bad, having empty beaches on your doorstep and not allowed to jump in. Crazy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Regarding the sea swimming, I think at the moment it's just a request. Only a matter of time though before it is a directive.

Sat 20min Fastlane; 1:30 turbo

Just easy stuff today all round.
    Regarding the sea swimming, I think at the moment it's just a request. Only a matter of time though before it is a directive.

I asked a friend of mine who would know how far this "request" might stand up... she said it was part of the general lockdown advice, to stress the lockdown order. Beaches are closed in several counties too; if you got in the sea and were spotted a guard would tell you to get out (and could enforce that). Moot point for me anyhow, I'm a lot further than 2km from the sea!

Sun 20min Fastlane; 90min LSR

Swim:
    5min steady
    10*100 pb progressive

Run: 16.4k
    Another bad nights sleep, woke up third so just kept this as an easy pace long run. It was nice to get outside and run the empty roads, pretty humid out there but I felt better for having done this one.

Same here - not sleeping all that well. No Covid 19 anxiety - just don't seem to be able to sleep. Working from home without the added exertions of commuting and the occasional 4am start for the chaps swimming probably has me full of energy.

On the plus side ran 80kms this week and I'm back on the turbo. Need to tire myself out in some way :D

griffin100 wrote: »
    Same here - not sleeping all that well. No Covid 19 anxiety - just don't seem to be able to sleep. Working from home without the added exertions of commuting and the occasional 4am start for the chaps swimming probably has me full of energy.

On the plus side ran 80kms this week and I'm back on the turbo. Need to tire myself out in some way :D

Well that's a positive and long may it continue! Routines have been f8cked up (to say the least) and that's gotta factor into sleeping patterns. If you can get your work done, kids washed and watered; that's 95% of life anyway, so more power to you.

I'm getting the important things done, but my job is heavily weighted upon markets, which are heavily weighted on CV19 anxiety! Whatever gets you through the night...

Mon 20min Fastlane.

Just a steady swim in the pool, really it was more about mental relaxation than anything else. It's a fantastic facility to have, and feeds positive vibes in copious amounts of splashy goodness. Work (alone) has sent stress levels through the roof, I'm going to look at other aspects of life where I might also help with positivity... but one thing for sure is these swims are helping immensely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

PS Hi Carol ;)

Intriguing post script.

Advertisement