Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alien

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Alien and Aliens are very logical films, in that the decisions the characters make tend to make sense (Ripley not wanting to let the crew back on the ship in Alien only to be over ruled by Ash. Then later on we find out why Ash over ruled her). I think even Alien 3 was like this too.

In Prometheus and Covenant there's just loads of decisions the characters make that doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Alien fan here too, and whilst Prometheus was grand, nothing will ever compare to the Ridley Scott 1979 original and the even better James Cameron sequel in 1986.

Amazing films that set a new standard in sci-fi horror. Leave the Alien franchise be.

Cameron's Aliens is probably the best action film ever made. The science is minimal, the creatures are just animals the action and suspense is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Alien and Aliens are very logical films, in that the decisions the characters make tend to make sense (Ripley not wanting to let the crew back on the ship in Alien only to be over ruled by Ash. Then later on we find out why Ash over ruled her). I think even Alien 3 was like this too.

In Prometheus and Covenant there's just loads of decisions the characters make that doesn't make sense.

Alien three was too claustrophobic and the pacing was inconsistent, 4 was terrible ,French art house director. Alien vs Predator would have been much better if they'd spent some of the FX budget on a script

I'm the only one that liked 4?

Not all of it but it was similar to aliens 1986 which is one of my all time favorites.

As another year stated, Earth hive or one of the Perry books would make a good movie. Hive might be a bit slow for a movie in it's own but mixed with nightmare, female war, etc. Could work

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm the only one that liked 4?

Maybe. :D

'Alien resurrection' is just a wretched film though. Awful characters, inconsistent tone, stupid story and dreadful attempts at comedy.

Don't know WTF they were thinking giving that film to that director.

But if you like it, you like it.

Mind you, Ridley Scott proved that he wouldn't have done much better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well I mean there's always one I guess, but the consensus would be that Alien Resurrection was a total turd of a film. The choice of director was creative, but misplaced. Jeunet's a good director, but wasn't the right choice (I may be misremembering but I believe he didn't even speak English at the time)

Always find it an amusing side-note that that script was penned by Joss Whedon; his fans like to forget that one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well I mean there's always one I guess, but the consensus would be that Alien Resurrection was a total turd of a film. The choice of director was creative, but misplaced. Jeunet's a good director, but wasn't the right choice (I may be misremembering but I believe he didn't even speak English at the time)

Always find it an amusing side-note that that script was penned by Joss Whedon; his fans like to forget that one :D

The problem is he has a particular style. A style that simply isn't suited to something like an Alien movie and it resulted in an awful effort.

As for Joss Whedon, the less I say about him the better. Mr. fucking meta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I was young enough when it came out and enjoyed Alien Resurrection, then as I got older the differences between the first 3 made me view it as less than worthy of being an Alien film. In the last few years though I've warmed to it again, in comparison to what followed it is, to me at least, an Alien film.

There's some tone shifts but the basic concept around the Alien and not ****in androids makes it for me. The Newborn was pretty cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

pixelburp wrote: »
    So does he. I've heard him talk about it. He's not happy with how it turned out. His original ending was cut too, for budget reasons.

mikhail wrote: »
    So does he. I've heard him talk about it. He's not happy with how it turned out. His original ending was cut too, for budget reasons.

don't think that it (Alien: Resurrection) being muck can be put down to the ending!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

glasso wrote: »
    Prometheus was not too bad but Alien : Covenant was shyte.

Way too much Fassbender android going on in that one.

might as well have been called Alien : Android.

stuff like this ffs

https://youtu.be/-JXgQ4UwPFc?t=68

Yep, trying to pull a Blade Runner and failing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Cameron's Aliens is probably the best action film ever made. The science is minimal, the creatures are just animals the action and suspense is awesome.

Not just animals though, they retain the intelligence from the original Xenomorph in that they are shown to be able to cut power and think strategically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

glasso wrote: »
    don't think that it (Alien: Resurrection) being muck can be put down to the ending!
    No, and Whedon has to take a share of the blame, but I do wonder what the film would have looked like if he'd directed it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Relatively recently I came across Patrick (H) Willems' videos, I think via this forum actually; I don't find him intentionally or overly contrarian, even if he sometimes goes to bat for ostensibly "bad" films (for instance, he argues for the positives to be found in the Schumacher films).

Specifically, today YouTube suggested one of his older videos about ... Alien Covenant. And while it scarcely changes my mind, he does make some fair points all the same that kinda re-contextualises the film a little. That Covenant was as much a Mad Scientist Horror Movie as Aliens was a War Movie. Also interesting that Scott himself acknowledged the 3rd act "twist" wasn't even trying to fool the audience.

Also, his videos are funny if only for his involvement of his parents (including the Irish Mammy):

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I'd rate the four original alien films
    Aliens.(2)
    Aliens (4)
    Alien (1)
    Alien (3)
    Prometheus and Covenant are suppose to be prequels, I dont they they work because the were made far to years after the original. But hey doesnt Sigourney Weaver kick ass a lot better than Linda Hamilton in the terminator franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that rating makes no sense ????

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

I enjoyed Prometheus but Covenant was bad and even looked cheap in a lot of places. My main issue is the David/Walter story, I don't care about it.

Advertisement