Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neutering Female cat in heat ????

• 21-03-2020 9:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Yesterday i made an appointment for Monday morning to get a female cat neutered but this evening she is going into heat.

Can a cat in heat still get neutered ?

Will it cost more ( got quoted 90 euros, bit much i thought ) ?

She is about 6 months old.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

statesaver wrote: »
    Hi,

Yesterday i made an appointment for Monday morning to get a female cat neutered but this evening she is going into heat.

Can a cat in heat still get neutered ?

Will it cost more ( got quoted 90 euros, bit much i thought ) ?

She is about 6 months old.

Thanks

No it won’t cost more and yes you can still go ahead.

Spaying is based on weight etc .. €90 isn’t too bad but if price is an issue contact a local rescue centre and ask if there doing reduced cost neutering etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

cocker5 wrote: »
    No it won’t cost more and yes you can still go ahead.

Spaying is based on weight etc .. €90 isn’t too bad but if price is an issue contact a local rescue centre and ask if there doing reduced cost neutering etc

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

My vet. clinic is always adamant they will not spay while animal is in heat.

auspicious wrote: »
    My vet. clinic is always adamant they will not spay while animal is in heat.

I've been thinking about when i went in to make the appointment Friday morning, the first question she asked me was ' is the cat in heat ', i said no, so that was the end of that.

Will ring in the morning and cancel or they will tell me they won't do it. But either way i'm cancelling.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

statesaver wrote: »
    I've been thinking about when i went in to make the appointment Friday morning, the first question she asked me was ' is the cat in heat ', i said no, so that was the end of that.

Will ring in the morning and cancel or they will tell me they won't do it. But either way i'm cancelling.

Thanks

Make sure you keep your cat secure !

• Advertisement

cocker5 wrote: »
    Make sure you keep your cat secure !

She hasn't left my lap, side, feet :o. Trying to distract her all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

The reason not to neuter when an animal is in heat is due to increased blood supply to repro organs. There's more chance of a bleed during or after surgery. It's a case of weighing up the slightly increased risk vs the risk of the pet getting out and ending up pregnant

Springwell wrote: »
    The reason not to neuter when an animal is in heat is due to increased blood supply to repro organs. There's more chance of a bleed during or after surgery. It's a case of weighing up the slightly increased risk vs the risk of the pet getting out and ending up pregnant

The vet would neuter her even with the cat in heat but i cancelled for the reasons you outlined above.

The cat is now in lockdown !! :pac:

Advertisement