Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Need to convert some MP4 files to AVI. Anyone care to recommend a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Would also say Avidemux, been using it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a Paypal account that I have been using with no problems at all for years. Now I just went to buy a game and asked to pay by Paypal, so a window came up with paypal at the top and google store, and asked for my password. So I put in my paypal password but it was refused. Then I realised the email that had already been filled in was the google email, so I put in my google password, and it said that I had paid. Now I don't recall ever telling Paypal they could allow Google to use my Paypal account, this is apparently Google Pay which I have had no connection with. So how did they manage to get into my Paypal account?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

See? That's one of the many reasons why I hate google.

Looksee, you might want to review your privacy settings and all of your google profile, there may be a box automatically clicked that you didn't even know was there. Or two sites had cookies that allowed them to talk to one another and share data. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

Can I send videos (youtube mostly) to whatsapp from iphone or is it only via android?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think you can, at the very least copying and pasting the url of the video into a message would allow them to click on it and open it in the browser.

New Home wrote: »
    I think you can, at the very least copying and pasting the url of the video into a message would allow them to click on it and open it in the browser.

Sound,will try that thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Can I send videos (youtube mostly) to whatsapp from iphone or is it only via android?

Under a youtube video click share and there should be an option for whatsapp or if not then choose copy link and then just click paste in a whatsapp message

• Advertisement

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Under a youtube video click share and there should be an option for whatsapp or if not then choose copy link and then just click paste in a whatsapp message

Thanks for that,It doesnt give an option for whatsapp when I click on share,think its just facebook and twitter so I will try the suggestions above later and see.

OSI wrote: »
    Did you scroll through the list? It definitely should be there

Upon tapping share, this is what I get and it doesnt scroll.Thats why I was wondering in the op if it was an Iphone thing. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I get whatapp share buttons on both the youtube app and youtube via safari on iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Upon tapping share, this is what I get and it doesnt scroll.Thats why I was wondering in the op if it was an Iphone thing. Thanks.

You need to be using the Youtube app. You are either in Youtube through Safari / Chrome or you followed a link on facebook or twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

On the boards mobile app the threads in the forums do not appear newest first and i have no idea how to change the settings.

Also how do you unfollow a thread on the mobile app?

On the boards mobile app the threads in the forums do not appear newest first and i have no idea how to change the settings.

Also how do you unfollow a thread on the mobile app?

There's an ongoing bug on the site causing that recently, it's not your settings.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    You need to be using the Youtube app. You are either in Youtube through Safari / Chrome or you followed a link on facebook or twitter.

Yeah most likely via Safari so will try the app. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

I have a load of photos in Picasa on my old laptop and now would like to upload to Wins 10. Picasa is no longer available to download and Google wants me to upload them in Google Photos. I tried to do this last night but I think I should be using Internet Explorer - Firefox is my browser. I am not sure if I can edit photos in Google Photos, like I can/used do in Picasa. Is there another free programme like Picasa where I can edit photos? I am not savvy enough to use Photoshop!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

cnoc wrote: »
    I have a load of photos in Picasa on my old laptop and now would like to upload to Wins 10. Picasa is no longer available to download and Google wants me to upload them in Google Photos. I tried to do this last night but I think I should be using Internet Explorer - Firefox is my browser. I am not sure if I can edit photos in Google Photos, like I can/used do in Picasa. Is there another free programme like Picasa where I can edit photos? I am not savvy enough to use Photoshop!
    Lots of free software here. Most of it is "trial" versions but if you scroll through the list you will see a full (free) version of "photo commander" which may suit your needs.

There are lots of free software available online and Im sure others will point you to various sites where it can be downloaded

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

muffler wrote: »
    Lots of free software here. Most of it is "trial" versions but if you scroll through the list you will see a full (free) version of "photo commander" which may suit your needs.

There are lots of free software available online and Im sure others will point you to various sites where it can be downloaded

Thanks for that info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Tried plugging my headphones into laptop, but audio still comes from laptop own speakers.

Am on Win 10, and searched online and found loads of similar issues .... But no solutions.

Have tried troubleshooting, activiting & deactivate the default audio (stock speaker/driver that came with laptop). Drivers dont need updating. Problem seems to be Win10 does not detect that I have them plugged in ....

Any advice?
    (pls & thx)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

Tried plugging my headphones into laptop, but audio still comes from laptop own speakers.

Am on Win 10, and searched online and found loads of similar issues .... But no solutions.

Have tried troubleshooting, activiting & deactivate the default audio (stock speaker/driver that came with laptop). Drivers dont need updating. Problem seems to be Win10 does not detect that I have them plugged in ....

Any advice?
    (pls & thx)

Had this in the past. Try restarting with the headphones plugged in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Any advice?
    (pls & thx)

When you click the speaker/sound icon in the taskbar (right side near the time) does it give you an option to change the speaker selection?

What type of headphones are you using? (i.e a totally cheap €5 version from a Spar shop or slightly decent quality?)

wandererz wrote: »
    When you click the speaker/sound icon in the taskbar (right side near the time) does it give you an option to change the speaker selection?

No, no option.
    What type of headphones are you using? (i.e a totally cheap €5 version from a Spar shop or slightly decent quality?)

Yes, using a cheap pair. But did swap in my sons (expensive) pair. No joy.

Off to reboot with phones in..... (Thx Blahfool) ... Standby :-)

Blahfool wrote: »
    Had this in the past. Try restarting with the headphones plugged in?

It worked!! Cheers BF

Thx for tips folks .... Boards communal brain power works again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

It worked!! Cheers BF

Thx for tips folks .... Boards communal brain power works again!
    Cool. I learned something as well!

Now that it's working, does it give you the option to switch between headphones & internal speaker if you click the speaker icon in the task bar?

Cool. I learned something as well!

Now that it's working, does it give you the option to switch between headphones & internal speaker if you click the speaker icon in the task bar?

No, sorry. Can only get headphones to work when they are plugged in during boot up. Laptop speakers take over if I take out headphone jack (normal), but headphones dont re-engage when I plug them in.

Still.... Happy I have a workaround. Thx all.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Any advice?
    (pls & thx)

is the realtek HD audio manager enabled on startup?

do you know how to get into the task manager to check?

if is not enabled, enable it and reboot.... see if this solves the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My laptop has 2 hard drives.

One is a 256gb SSD
    Other is a 1tb HDD

When I click on C drive and check properties, only the USED and REMAINING space on the SSD is shown.

My son was going to load a game tonight and it said there wasn't enough space left to do it.

How do I get it to 'see' the 2nd drive?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    My laptop has 2 hard drives.

One is a 256gb SSD
    Other is a 1tb HDD

When I click on C drive and check properties, only the USED and REMAINING space on the SSD is shown.

My son was going to load a game tonight and it said there wasn't enough space left to do it.

How do I get it to 'see' the 2nd drive?

Assuming you're using windows, press windows key + e

You should see something like this..

MFZnKkQ.png

Advertisement