Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acoustic Guitar Humidity/Finish Cracks

Options
  • 09-01-2020 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hello! A few questions:

Acoustic Guitar Humidity control:

Most of the concerns/articles on the web I've seen about guitars spitting etc, due to humidity are North American/Canadian.

Apart from taking good common sense standard care of any instrument, how big an issue if humidity control from Ireland?

Finish Cracks:

Whats the best way to identify a finish crack, (as opposed to cracked wood) on the top of a guitar? Mirror inside?

And how concerned would you be about buying a guitar that has a confirmed finish crack? ie: not crack in the wood?

Does a confirmed finish crack need attention or will it stay as it is?

Tension problems: 12 String.

If a 12 string guitar is starting to get damaged by pressure from 12 strings, whats the first signs that problems are occurring? ie: would the neck go first? or would the saddle lift? Could the top split? etc? Or could it be one, or a range of things in no particular order?

Cheers!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

humidity has never been a problem for me. summers aren't dry enough, winters aren't cold enough (to freeze dry)

finish cracks are cracks in the varnish.

I have guitars where the top varnish has been work off bu strumming and there has been no structural issue what so ever. would I be worried? no. would I use it as a bargaining tool to get a discount? OHHHH yes!!

12 strings are made to disintegrate.

a regular 6 string will have about 70kg of force acting across the bridge. a 12 will have significantly more..... the doubled strings are lighter, so likely abut 100kg total. think about holding a guitar vertically in a vice and then getting a fat bloke to stand on the bridge.

the top is likely to belly first. as the bridge is rotated the area between the bridge and the soundhole dips and the area between the bridge and the tail rises. next the bridge might start to peel off the top. realistically the neck should be ok as the truss rod will keep things stable.

I love a 12 string. I've owned several Yamaha 12s (built like tanks) and even built a few, but while I would spend €3000 on a good acoustic 6 string, I would never fork that out for a 12 as it is a disaster waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Many thanks Martin, very helpful info! :)

Advertisement