Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blindboy Podcast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Was there ever a time when it was easy to break into the music industry?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

he disappeared so far up his own arse its hard to believe. Weekly virtue signalling. Telling us to plant wild flowers this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

NeonWolf wrote: »
    he disappeared so far up his own arse its hard to believe. Weekly virtue signalling. Telling us to plant wild flowers this week.

Yeah i have to say that the last few podcasts have been poor. The Emma Dabari interview by far the worst.

Not really blaming the lad, you run out of ideas when needing to deliver every single week and as he says, it's not his only gig.

The standard of guest he is getting is plummeting. David McWilliams, Vincent Browne and Roddy Doyle were brilliant. Latest few absolutely brutal. I feel like i jinxed him as he brought on comedienne Tara Flynn and an ex Joe Dolan band member in the 2 podcasts i attended. There was moments of fun etc there but hardly worth the 30 quid odd for the ticket.

Maybe the return to the bandits music and gigs will rejuvenate him. For now, am considering switching off. Shame because it was an excellent podcast from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah i have to say that the last few podcasts have been poor. The Emma Dabari interview by far the worst.

Not really blaming the lad, you run out of ideas when needing to deliver every single week and as he says, it's not his only gig.

The standard of guest he is getting is plummeting. David McWilliams, Vincent Browne and Roddy Doyle were brilliant. Latest few absolutely brutal. I feel like i jinxed him as he brought on comedienne Tara Flynn and an ex Joe Dolan band member in the 2 podcasts i attended. There was moments of fun etc there but hardly worth the 30 quid odd for the ticket.

Maybe the return to the bandits music and gigs will rejuvenate him. For now, am considering switching off. Shame because it was an excellent podcast from the start.

He said he did a live podcast with Derek Warfield from the Wolfe Tones where Derek recounts things like debating the merits of communism with Luke Kelly. That'd be a good one to listen to if he puts it out. He always seems to mention doing live podcasts with guests better than the ones he actually puts out to the public, for some weird reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Is he still doing the awl virtue signalling. Switched off about a year ago when he went on a racist tirade about the Spanish.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    He said he did a live podcast with Derek Warfield from the Wolfe Tones where Derek recounts things like debating the merits of communism with Luke Kelly. That'd be a good one to listen to if he puts it out. He always seems to mention doing live podcasts with guests better than the ones he actually puts out to the public, for some weird reason.

I imagine the guests have different contracts. He put out that Spike Lee one instantly.

I imagine the guests have different contracts. He put out that Spike Lee one instantly.

Fair enough, but I should think that most of those on the celebrity level of Derek Warfield would be fine about having their show put out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Is he still doing the awl virtue signalling. Switched off about a year ago when he went on a racist tirade about the Spanish.

It's pretty much all he does now. I mean I agree with a lot of his points but the constant virtue signalling is very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd imagine if you listened to the odd one it'd be grand. But listening to him every week would be painful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I haven't listened to "non interview" ones in ages. But had a listen to the one today as he is over in San Francisco and I've always liked it over there.

It's frustrating that he says things as if they are true, when you know yourself it's not a fact. So much misinformation when he is left to his own devices without a guest. So it's very hard to listen to his information on things you do not know about as it's hard to have any belief in it.... :) Sometimes it's like having pints with that mate who exaggerates everything!

I had to turn it off.

And is a "hot take" basically just a guess? or what is it? ha

• Advertisement

I'm so bored with how much he hates the English. They aren't the colonial power they once were. It doesn't effect the vast majority of us any more. Get over it. It's instilling a hatred in Irish people and a sense of shame in the English. Utterly pointless. Its such a stark contrast to the rest of his woke attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭onrail

Did anyone else hear his ad during the Ocarina Pause on this weeks pod?

Thought it was a pisstake at first, but he's obviously been paid a ****ton of money to advertise CBD oil products!

https://vitalitycbd.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

onrail wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear his ad during the Ocarina Pause on this weeks pod?

Thought it was a pisstake at first, but he's obviously been paid a ****ton of money to advertise CBD oil products!

https://vitalitycbd.co.uk/

Whats wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Does he have a say in what ad plays? I thought the platform that hosts the show chose the ads that play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭onrail

dulux99 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with that?

Ach I don't know - kinda feel like it undermines his brand of presenting. I enjoy the pod, but there's a lot of pontificating about being free from bias and about how its listener funded etc etc.

If he was to make an episode on the benefits of CBD oil for example, would would we feel?

I won't be switching off or anything. At the end of the day, the fella has to 'make hay'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

onrail wrote: »
    Ach I don't know - kinda feel like it undermines his brand of presenting. I enjoy the pod, but there's a lot of pontificating about being free from bias and about how its listener funded etc etc.

If he was to make an episode on the benefits of CBD oil for example, would would we feel?

I won't be switching off or anything. At the end of the day, the fella has to 'make hay'

Ah ok. I've long stopped listening to the pod so didn't realise he was claiming to be ad-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

onrail wrote:

He discussed the benefits of cbd recently enough I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Bit late to this, but what did he say about the Spanish? I stopped listening to him a long time ago. Listened from the start for a while, then just realised he was spouting general knowledge dressed up as something else.
    I recall he mentioned he goes to Granada often, and was on about how the Spanish like to go out and have food and beer, not just out for pints, as if this was some kind of revelation for the listeners.... I switched off then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Genuine question, is that his natural voice? Are the podcasts done "in character" in his Rubberbandits persona?

Genuine question, is that his natural voice? Are the podcasts done "in character" in his Rubberbandits persona?

He claims that's his real voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Its changes quite wildy sometimes without the same pod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I find that hard to believe. He sounds like hes doing a "funny voice" for the entirety of the podcasts, or at least the ones I could bring myself to listen to. That's fine for short comedy skits but its very wearying over the course of an hour. TBH is not time he dropped the whole Blindboy persona? When was the last time he and the other guy performed together as the Rubberbandits?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

If he is putting on the voice for the podcast, and I suspect he is, it's as hilarious as Alice Cooper or the singer from Cradle of Filth clipping the hedge or doing the shopping dressed in character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I find that hard to believe. He sounds like hes doing a "funny voice" for the entirety of the podcasts, or at least the ones I could bring myself to listen to. That's fine for short comedy skits but its very wearying over the course of an hour. TBH is not time he dropped the whole Blindboy persona? When was the last time he and the other guy performed together as the Rubberbandits?

about two weeks ago in canada

So you he doesn't get recognised buying bog roll in spar

Listened to the latest podcast. First time in a long time. It had the promise of some Irish history which I know very little about. First 15 minutes he revealed the shocking revelation that cutting alcohol has positive health benefits.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Listened to the latest podcast. First time in a long time. It had the promise of some Irish history which I know very little about. First 15 minutes he revealed the shocking revelation that cutting alcohol has positive health benefits.

I did the exact thing as I you, the first episode I've downloaded in a while as it sounded promising. I lasted about half an hour, I stuck through the alcohol rubbish until the history part where he then proceeded to spout utter nonsense so I had to turn it off.

It looks like I'm done with this podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I thought the latest one was on the history of disco?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

happyday wrote: »
    I thought the latest one was on the history of disco?

Thats the one before.

God the insufferable Wolfe Tones. The lead singer pondering why RTE dont put them on. Other than being sh1t stirrers, they are also rubbish. C'mon Blindboy, i know you read this and have your republican links but do some good podcasts.

• Advertisement

He played a live podcast that he'd done with Eddie Lenihan (folklorist and storyteller) this week. Fantastic stuff. His live podcasts are hit and miss depending on the guest, but Lenihan rarely disappoints.

Advertisement