Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help choosing a family tent

• 11-01-2020 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to decide between 2 family tents. My wife and I would like to bring the 2 kids (3 and 1) camping a couple of times a year, mainly in Ireland I guess, and I’m trying to decide which feature trumps the other one.

The two tents are the Vango Purbeck 600 off Amazon or the Kampa Texel 4 off O’Meara’s camping (currently on sale). Both work out at a similar price - the one in O’Meara’s comes with a carpet and footprint so works out around the same I think. What I am having trouble with is the Vango is 80cm wider (380cm vs 300cm) but the Texel has a better waterproof rating (5000 vs 3000). Other than that both seem pretty similar.

I think the extra space is important but I have no idea about HH rating - is 3000 enough for long weekends in Irish weather? We get a lot of rain but not really the really heavy stuff.

Vango - Vango Purbeck Tent, Vivid Grey, Size 600/X-Large https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J5M9V37/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_8ZFgEb87TJRPY

Texel - https://www.omearacamping.com/kampa-texel-4-man-tent-2019-inc-carpet--footprint--storm-strapssee-video-of-tent-below-9974-p.asp

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I have always had Vango they never let us down. 6years ago we upgraded to a Vango adventon we have 3kids so the extra space was a blessing on wet days. The only downfall it's big it take up alot of space in the car. I know it's not the tent you asked about but my kids have all been camping since they were a year old. A smaller tent was always hard to keep the kids entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭Ryath

There's a good difference in size with the two of them. The kampa is probably a little narrow width wise for 4 would be an ok weekend tent but tight for a week. You really need to go n+1 so I'd be looking at a 5man minimum.

They are both good brands I'd look at Outwell too. That Vango is quite spacious 3,0000 HH is still ok. We have a pretty similar sized Vango Illusion 500 TC airbeam and it's great especially on longer breaks. The double doors at the front are handy as you have a wet room area at front to take your shoes and coats off keeping the inner dry. The living space is great on wet days for the kids. It is massive though even it's packsize and it weighs 50kg! It is too big for the odd campsite aswell.

What's you and wife's experience camping? Putting up a big fibreglass pole tent like that solo in wind and rain with smallies crying in the car can be challenging to your marriage vows!:D

We started out with a 5 man Outwell Nevada fibreglass poled tent it's a nice bit smaller than our Vango I can put it up solo but it's tricky if it's windy. The airbeam is much handier put up despite being a much bigger tent. We have had a few poles break too it got flattened in fairness in what was pretty stormy weather in Doolin when my brother borrowed it and camped with us. A lot of other people had packed up and left. Our Vango Airbeam barely budged! It had stood up to plenty of bad weather before that and it's a nice size weekend tent and takes up a lot less space in the boot. When funds permit I will get a smaller polycotton airbeam to replace it.

There's a bit of expense starting and a good few things to get with, sleeping bag's, mat's, camping furniture and cooking equipment. It's well worth it though once you have it it means plenty of cheap weekends away.

Bit dearer but it's not a bad price for a large airbeam.
    https://www.charlescamping.ie/store/index.php/tents/family-tents-33/family-tents/2019-vango-madison-air-600-xl-incl-carpet-and-footprint.html

Just to give you an idea of size. The fully loaded family trips take a lot as wife likes her comforts and electric hook up. I'm as happy going of in my little 3 man with just one of my kids for a night or two!

499789.jpg

Advertisement