Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai Calling Door to Door

Options
  • 04-12-2019 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

A neighbours house was broken into and the Gardai called to each house to find out if anyone saw anything that day. The Garda asked me for my name address and phone number even though I was inside my house, finally he asked for my date of birth, which I gave without thinking at the time. Why would they do that. It made me feel afterwards I was under suspicion. I asked other neighbours and they asked them for the same details also. I understand asking name and phone number but why would they need a date of birth other than to check some one out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It's so they can narrow down on Pulse who you are, could be a name match...the address they have isn't right etc. and the DOB will help find you. You might not be on Pulse so theyll need those details to add you or your details may be incorrect.

aceman67 wrote: »
    A neighbours house was broken into and the Gardai called to each house to find out if anyone saw anything that day. The Garda asked me for my name address and phone number even though I was inside my house, finally he asked for my date of birth, which I gave without thinking at the time. Why would they do that. It made me feel afterwards I was under suspicion. I asked other neighbours and they asked them for the same details also. I understand asking name and phone number but why would they need a date of birth other than to check some one out

Date of Birth is a unique identifier. House to house enquiry will be noted on pulse but not details of person unless you saw something of evidential value.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irishrgr

It's called Positive Identification or PID. As stated above, it affirmatively identifies you in the event there is a prosecution. A Guard can't really put in his case files "a fella called Mick who lives on the street saw a person matching the description of the suspect...……..". You'd be laughed out of court, so it would read something like "a witness, Mr. John Murphy, 07/07/1977, who resides at 123 Main Street, saw a person matching the description of the suspect...." Now the veracity of the witness is harder to challenge in court.

Advertisement