Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counties in Ireland that dont border but are very close in distance and culture

• 05-12-2018 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

long winded title almost a PHD title! but any siggetstions? do people know what i mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Laois and Westmeath, pretty much indistinguishable from each other

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Dickie10

ye as far as culturally anyway accent etc. maybe land type slightly differs but not much , slieve bloom mountains and a streak off extremly fertile dry tillage land around ballacolla , ratheniska in Laois.

i actually heard Laois and Westmeath referred to as a dearby game before even though they dont border also television commetators constantly refer to them as neighbours.

yes ,shared culture of small farms and marginal lands and accents are not far away.

Louth and Dublin i would say, drogheda accent is close to dublin north side, louth and north county dublin very close accent.

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i actually heard Laois and Westmeath referred to as a dearby game before even though they dont border also television commetators constantly refer to them as neighbours.

There is only about 20km between the counties but I think the commentators were referring to the rivalry built up between the GAA football teams, this rivalry started in the 90's and 00's owing to both counties having exceptional under age teams. Although this never translated into All-Ireland success like it did for my own county (Offaly) in both codes :)

yes ,shared culture of small farms and marginal lands and accents are not far away.

:confused: their accents are very differant, Roscomman as a typical midlands accent in the south and west of the county with the north and west adding a bit of "wheste" to the accent.

The Cavan accent is fairly distinct from any other county

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Donegal, Galway, Kerry
    largest Gaeltacht areas, hence dedicated state agencies and a Government department to assist the areas

Louth and Dublin i would say, drogheda accent is close to dublin north side, louth and north county dublin very close accent.

Drawda accent has changed a lot in the few years since I was a kid then. The rest of Louth sounds nothing like Dublin at all.

did u ever hear a north county dublin accent?

• Advertisement

did u ever hear a north county dublin accent?
    North County Dublin as in 3 miles from Drogheda? Northside has always meant city in my experience.

theres a huge area of dublin you dont know then

i suppose sligo and cavan could be put in this bracket too. longford and mayo is definitfley one that stands out, id also pick kildare and tipperary, both horse racing gaa counties with very fertile land

Advertisement