Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who besides over 70 are to cocoon.

Options
  • 28-03-2020 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Does anyone have a link to the official list of those under 70 who should cocoon? I've seen fairly detailed NHS lists (e.g. Specific named medicines) but none for the HSE.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

homah_7ft wrote: »
    Hi all. Does anyone have a link to the official list of those under 70 who should cocoon? I've seen fairly detailed NHS lists (e.g. Specific named medicines) but none for the HSE.

Info can be found here:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/923825-guidance-on-cocooning-to-protect-people-over-70-years-and-those-extr/

Direct link to answer your question:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/923825-guidance-on-cocooning-to-protect-people-over-70-years-and-those-extr/#what-we-mean-by-extremely-medically-vulnerable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It's a surprising list in terms of what's not included. They said all along cardiovascular disease and diabetes were high risk, yet not included. Diabetes Ireland even posted last night that it would apply to them. And indeed these groups are listed as particularly at risk with reference to cocooning on the HSE website.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/at-risk-groups.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

yep, its'a bit confused alright - at the end of the day we have to make a judgement that works for each of us - we know us better than a list that we're on or indeed not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Thanks for all the help folks. I don't really want to have to bother my GP or consultant at this time but I suppose I have no choice now. I am on two immunosuppressant drugs but I don't know how significantly they suppress my immune system. I need to decide if I should attend work meetings or not. Currently I am isolating completely but soon it may not be possible to do that without good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

from above link

"What we mean by extremely medically vulnerable*
    • people aged 70 years or over
    • solid organ transplant recipients
    • people with specific cancers
    (a) people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radical radiotherapy for lung cancer
    (b) people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment
    (c) people having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer
    (d) people having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
    (e) people who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs
    • people with severe respiratory conditions including cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe COPD
    • people with rare diseases and inborn errors of metabolism that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as SCID, homozygous sickle cell)
    • people on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection
    • women who are pregnant with significant heart disease, congenital or acquired"
    Would anyone know where a list of immunosuppression therapies relevant to the above can be found ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The HSE page has been updated now to draw a distinction between "at risk" and "extremely medically vulnerable". Given the currently available stats on deaths according to underlying condition, I still think those with diabetes and cardiac disease should take as many precautions as humanly possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

The HSE page has been updated now to draw a distinction between "at risk" and "extremely medically vulnerable". Given the currently available stats on deaths according to underlying condition, I still think those with diabetes and cardiac disease should take as many precautions as humanly possible.

Does the list meant that the risk only applies if have chronic condition eg diabetes AND you're over 60? Or is it if you have diabetes and all ages?

Advertisement