Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Russia in Ireland looking at the cables connecting the internet

Options

Comments

Interesting read.

https://www-businessinsider-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.businessinsider.com/russian-agents-went-to-ireland-to-inspect-undersea-cables-report-2020-2?amp

What are the thoughts here? Solid point about us being a soft target with a lack of intelligence agency (i assume they’re pertaining to the lack of agency with a reach / power of the NSA).

More like inadequate Naval capabilities. A couple of small subs patrolling key areas would reduce this risk. Even a couple of sub-hunter destroyers.

I can't remember his name but he got elected recently, former Army Ranger. He said he could fix the morale in the Defence Forces for about 15 million, which is nothing in the grand scheme of things, in about 3 months.

Like many people on this forum I work in InfoSec, and see it all the time with companies. On a national level we will never invest in critical infrastructure or resources until it costs us more not to.

Disconnecting Ireland from the Internet for a day alone could cost us millions in revenue, but until it does, nothing will be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

"Ireland doesn't have a counter-intelligence capability. It's a relatively soft target. Ireland is a major node for the global internet. It has a large concentration of tech companies,"

Think they may be wrong here.Mark Galeotti should stick to Russian intelligence matters rather than Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I can't remember his name but he got elected recently, former Army Ranger. He said he could fix the morale in the Defence Forces for about 15 million, which is nothing in the grand scheme of things, in about 3 months.

Cathal Berry in Kildare. I don't know what his intention for the 15 million would be but if the biggest issue for morale with the Defence Forces (based on what you see in the media) is the rates of pay and that's having a knock on effect on recruitment and retention, a one off spend of 15 million wouldn't go very far.

On the undersea cables issue, it's an unusual article since the intelligence on the Russians being here seems to come from the Irish security services. In terms of more general protection of our waters from smuggling, illegal fishing etc..., I wouldn't be against creating a proper coast guard / maritime police as a wing of the Guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

As i love to read from other side,as well and always, have a read here too:

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/481038-russian-agents-ireland-cables/

As such, the story joins the long shelf of ‘Russian spying’ fiction, alongside bestsellers like the “weaponized” giant squid, “sonic warfare”attacks on US diplomats, and “pee tape” Kompromat, hocus pocus printed by a media that sees Russian fingerprints wherever it looks.

Oh, and should Moscow wish to “map the precise location” of the cables, as the Times claims, its agents needn’t even leave Mother Russia. Ireland’s Department of Planning makes this information publicly available. Maps with precise coordinates, overhead photos, oceanographic survey data, planning documents and archaeological assessments are all viewable on the department’s website.

The precise coordinates, photos & maps of the locations are all openly available, as is oceanographic survey data. All viewable on this state website. So, some 'agent' in the ars*-end of Siberia could do this spying, without setting foot in Ireland. https://t.co/uWkBc0Q3KLpic.twitter.com/sVyowg1DqS
    — Bryan MacDonald (@27khv) February 17, 2020

Whatever about mapping, actually spying on the cable traffic is another thing, requiring agents on the ground. As it turns out, Russia has done this before, and was snooping on web traffic in and out of Ireland back in 2009, according to documents revealed in 2014 by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden. Oh wait, never mind, that was British intelligence. Oops!

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/481326-russia-invading-ireland-internet-communications/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

Ireland needs multiple HVDC power connections to mainland Europe with (eg Cork to France or Wexford etc) with high capacity fiber optic cables embedded. Any diver who is sent to snoop on the data would risk an 800 kV shock.

This is a win win scenario. Electricity grid connectivity with mainland Europe and data transmission security. It seems to me that the EU is very willing to support ventures of this type, especially after Brexit. One gets two pipelines in one - electricity and data - to pay the cost of the pipeline.

Offshore wind in Ireland could create 20 GW of energy+++ (Ireland only needs 5 GW typcially), with huge export potential. France's nuclear fleet is passing its sell-by date. There is no currency risk trading energy with France or other Euro zone countries.

GB Brexit - where most Irish bandwidth transits is no longer viable, and is at high security risk.

It is a no-brainer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement