Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-02-2020, 11:09   #91
gerrybbadd

Pride events.

Hate speech legislation
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 11:15   #92
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Being called out for using groups they care nothing for as sticks to beat people they despise.
(3) thanks from:
14-02-2020, 11:18   #93
rustynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
I'm generally highly suspicious of what "sensible people" agree with, as what is considered "sensible" can be as variable as the wind.

I also don't see how property taxes are the best kind of tax. They're more out of the control of the individual. If someone wants to pay less income tax they can choose to earn less income. If someone wants to pay less VAT they can choose to buy fewer things that attract VAT. If someone wants to pay less road tax they can choose to buy a car that attracts less road tax. And so forth. Housing and I'm speaking of primary homes, not extra properties(I'd tax them alright), is different in a few ways. It's far more permanent, often for a lifetime. Property tax based on value has issues. Someone buys a house in an area that was cheap that then becomes gentrified twenty years on and values soar. Or property becomes an investment bubble. That is out of the control of the homeowner. Oh sure they could "downsize" but it's not like swapping out a 3 litre Merc for a Prius. Never mind that large chunk of tax they've already paid on their decades long mortgage.

I'd agree with this, it always baffled me why there was such an uproar over water charges (which is a service, which costs money to provide) but property tax was introduced with little resistance
(2) thanks from:
14-02-2020, 11:47   #94
jimgoose

Violet-Anne Wynne. Behold the Enemy.
14-02-2020, 12:14   #95
Bigbagofcans

People being open-minded, open door policy, anything open really.
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 12:25   #96
elli21

Human rights
14-02-2020, 12:33   #97
Strumms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geuze View Post
Most sensible people agree with property taxes, as they are the best type of tax.
You save up for years to be able to afford property, you have a big fûck off mortgage, it’s costs big cash to furnish, run and maintain, then you have the government wanting to tax you on top of all this because you just happen to own something ? Why ? Because after a long time of working hard, saving, going without to enable you to own your own place, a roof over your head the security and comfort of it the government decide... “hey, you know what, we want more so we will hit you in the pocket for simply daring to sacrifice, save and struggle to have something to call your own, a roof over your head and security for yourself and your loved ones, yep, we will tax it..
(2) thanks from:
14-02-2020, 12:35   #98

Originality in humour.

Look at rightwing jokes - 99% of the time they appear be limited to repeating 'did you assume my gender???' / 'I identify as an attack helicopter!' to each other amid howls of laughter.

Absolutely baffling.
14-02-2020, 12:59   #99
Snickers Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumms View Post
You save up for years to be able to afford property, you have a big fûck off mortgage, it’s costs big cash to furnish, run and maintain, then you have the government wanting to tax you on top of all this because you just happen to own something ? Why ? Because after a long time of working hard, saving, going without to enable you to own your own place, a roof over your head the security and comfort of it the government decide... “hey, you know what, we want more so we will hit you in the pocket for simply daring to sacrifice, save and struggle to have something to call your own, a roof over your head and security for yourself and your loved ones, yep, we will tax it..
Another problem with property tax, especially if it's for your main residence, is that it is totally independent of income. You might own/be living in a property that has appreciated greatly while you've been there but your income, earned in a completely different context, may not have done. So it is
in effect, taxing some people out of their homes. Which is very unfair.

Perhaps the reason there was less uproar about it than water charges is because fewer people own their own homes than rent. And given that one golden rule that unites bot the left and right is that "Taxes are for OTHER people", those who don't own property are perfectly fine with those that do
paying a wodge of tax on it.

Short sighted of course because property taxes on rental properties will only get passed on to the renters in the long run.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 13:00   #100
Raconteuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers Man View Post
George Soros.

(Is he even a real person? Or just a political "Big Foot"?)
Oh my god exactly what I was gonna say. I suspect many don't have a clue who he is. The plot being lost over him always reminds me of: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Goldstein
Thanks from:
14-02-2020, 13:15   #101
Raconteuse

Veganism. The way they act as if they have to adopt the diet and are oppressed by the brutal vegans.

Saw a video recently of a guy eating KFC right next to a vegan demonstration. The guy was being exalted on social media as if he was a hero. Wtf? He was eating food in a public area.
Thanks from:
14-02-2020, 13:16   #102
TinyChancer

(2) thanks from:
14-02-2020, 14:10   #103
Tony EH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynutz View Post
I'd agree with this, it always baffled me why there was such an uproar over water charges (which is a service, which costs money to provide) but property tax was introduced with little resistance
The water charges debacle was more to do with Irish Water and privatisation of the service. People don't want a private, for profit, quango with their fingers on their taps.

As for the LPT, there was resistance. But once revenue got involved, there really wasn't that much that people could do about it.
14-02-2020, 14:26   #104
Assetbacked

Mary Lou calling FF and FG an old boys club as a reason for not wanting to go into power with SF will get them going.
14-02-2020, 14:28   #105
Zebra3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elli21 View Post
Human rights
And the daddy of them all.

The ECHR.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image