Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-02-2020, 21:53   #31
One eyed Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by salonfire View Post
PHI is very much worth it.

People should be lobbying for reduced funding to the public system and allow them pay less in tax to help pay for PHI.

All the public sector cheerleaders you find on Boards are the first to run to the private sector when it comes to Health. Ask yourself why that is.

That’s lobbying for two very different, completely separate and unrelated things. It’s like saying my taxes fund social welfare and if Government cut social welfare, I wouldn’t have to pay so much tax. It’s nonsense really as one doesn’t follow from the other.

As it happens, my employer pays for my health insurance premiums so I don’t pay any taxes on those. I don’t know had the OP considered it but it didn’t appear like the OP was interested in changing jobs to one where their employer covered their health insurance premiums.
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 22:20   #32
salonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by One eyed Jack View Post
That’s lobbying for two very different, completely separate and unrelated things. It’s like saying my taxes fund social welfare and if Government cut social welfare, I wouldn’t have to pay so much tax. It’s nonsense really as one doesn’t follow from the other.

As it happens, my employer pays for my health insurance premiums so I don’t pay any taxes on those. I don’t know had the OP considered it but it didn’t appear like the OP was interested in changing jobs to one where their employer covered their health insurance premiums.
The HSE is a 18 billion black hole. Cutting it back to the emergencies, basics and oversight only would allow for substantial tax savings to individuals.
13-02-2020, 22:23   #33
tdf7187

It's worth it in general but some policies are over-priced for what you get. Always worth shopping around or even having a review phone call with your current provider. €2,400 doesn't strike me as all that bad for a family policy, but who knows, you may be able to get a better deal without losing important benefits.

The thing that grinds my gears is the inflation - the first year I got health insurance in my own right, as a working adult, I paid IR£150. A year. That was 1994, so hardly ancient history.
13-02-2020, 22:24   #34
tdf7187

Quote:
Originally Posted by salonfire View Post
The HSE is a 18 billion black hole.
No, wrong.
13-02-2020, 23:09   #35
salonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf7187 View Post
No, wrong.
I stand corrected.

It is a 21 billion black hole. My bad.
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 23:12   #36
tatranska

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsquarepants View Post
I'm reasonably sure it was €750, was about 10 years ago though so i could be wrong? Also, i was in agony and just wanted it to stop, i wasn't shopping around or going anywhere to save a few bob!

VHI is OK when you're getting on and things are likely to go wrong for you, to get any "value" out of it when you're younger you'd really need to be quite unlucky IMO.

In my own personal case it would have proved to be 50 grand down the drain. Most people my age would likely have similar stories, if you have a few spare grand a year then yea, go for it, if your job will provide it, then it's a great perk absolutely.

I just always found something more pressing to eat that money though.
We have HI.
I've had heart surgery for an unknown problem in recent years and my wife had surgery last month.
Both my kids have also availed of it.
Worth every penny.
(2) thanks from:
14-02-2020, 00:31   #37
andekwarhola

It's moderately handy having it to partially pay for normal family stuff llike A and E or minor procedures but that's not why we have it. You could take the hit on that stuff handy enough. It's for the off chance that something serious happens, both in terms of cost and access.

Don't shop around as work pays for me and my family but would do it if they didn't.
14-02-2020, 00:37   #38
andekwarhola

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsquarepants View Post
I don't have it, never did. Like all insurance it's money wasted until you need to claim!
So, like any type of insurance in the entire history of insurance.
14-02-2020, 00:40   #39
andekwarhola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggle View Post
IIf you have a heart attack and are brought to hospital in an ambulance you'll be treated irrespective of whether or not you have health insurance.
You keep saying this as if every serious health scenario involves rocking up to hospital in an ambulance.
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 02:03   #40
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowide View Post
Stop eating processed rubbish,don't smoke,cut down on the drink.
Lift heavy weights,do some high intensity exercise at near 80% your MHR.

Get your 8 hours sleep every night.Non negotiable this one.

Work on your mobility.Stay supple and flexible.

These wont guarantee you wont end up in hospital sometime but will go a long way to keep you out of it.

Oh and they are free.
All the young advanced cancer patients I know who did some or all of those things...

OP, yes, it’s worth it. It’s trite but health truly is wealth.
14-02-2020, 06:27   #41
Deiselurker

Also the public health system is not fully free as if you are admitted to a public hospital and don't have a medical card or health insurance you are charged 80 a night up to a maximum of 10 nights in year. 800 bill would be a lot for many people. You can take out cheap insurance plans that will cover this.
14-02-2020, 07:54   #42
bluewolf
Category Moderator

I keep misreading this as vhs and getting confused
(3) thanks from:
14-02-2020, 08:45   #43
Squiggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by byhookorbycrook View Post
Unless you happen to have it “ out of hours,” in Waterford hospital.
Even with VHI, there was an 18 month delay to see a neurologist in Dublin at the time I needed to find one .
How would private health insurance help you in an out of hours situation, where you had a heat attack?

Last edited by Squiggle; 14-02-2020 at 09:03.
14-02-2020, 08:58   #44
Squiggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by andekwarhola View Post
You keep saying this as if every serious health scenario involves rocking up to hospital in an ambulance.
What I've said is true for serious situations, without the ambulance scenario. Elective procedures are cancelled all the time to facilitate serious cases, both public and private.

Last edited by Squiggle; 14-02-2020 at 09:02.
14-02-2020, 11:39   #45
JustAThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggle View Post
How would private health insurance help you in an out of hours situation, where you had a heat attack?
you go to your private a&e in Blackrock for example - and are saved.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion