Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-02-2020, 10:16   #31
claregal1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficheall View Post
An even bigger load of bollocks than Valentine's.. Though it has been around years.
Whats Galentines day ?

Edit- just googled it ... oh lord!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 10:20   #32
Comer1

The only positive purpose that Valentines Day servers is to determine how high maintenance your new girlfriend is.
13-02-2020, 10:22   #33
ThewhiteJesus

A Taxi man once told me he calls it st Vaselines day as it’s the only day of the year the wife takes it in the swiss !!
Thanks from:
13-02-2020, 10:25   #34
taxAHcruel

I tend to avoid any Callander event that tells me when or how I should be expressing my affections - or thinking about my loved ones. So do not do Valentines at all either - and tend often not to do terribly much for Birthdays either. And we do not do Santa Claus with our children.

Randomly through the year however I will do gifts and other tokens of affection. Usually when it means something to me - or them - at the time.

I find this tends to be appreciated more. Shows you actually mean it and are thinking of the person in question. Rather than some calendar pop up on your phone making you do it.
13-02-2020, 10:30   #35
El_Duderino 09

I’ll do something small. Card €2, small pack of fancy chocolates €4, bottle of wine €8. She’s home late tomorrow so I’ll clean the house and make it relaxing and I’d cook dinner anyway so I’ll make one she likes so she can get something hot inside her when she gets in ... and have her dinner

All in for €14 and the house clean and dinner cooked. It’s not a big deal but I know she’ll appreciate it.
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 10:31   #36
Feisar

Apache are going heart shaped pizza's so, yea....
Thanks from:
13-02-2020, 10:38   #37
Permabear II

I'll be getting her a card, flowers, chocolates, and a gift. She always gets me something too. I think most people in relationships who get nothing whatsoever for Valentine's day end up secretly disappointed. "I don't do Valentine's day" is often a cover for being cheap or not giving a toss.
13-02-2020, 10:41   #38
Feisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permabear II View Post
I'll be getting her a card, flowers, chocolates, and a gift. She always gets me something too. I think most people in relationships who get nothing whatsoever for Valentine's day end up secretly disappointed. "I don't do Valentine's day" is often a cover for being cheap or not giving a toss.
I'm inclined to agree, having said that I spent a right few bob on an Xmas present and her birthday is coming up so it'll be a card and a steak at home.
(5) thanks from:
13-02-2020, 10:44   #39
SusanC10

Married 15 years. We keep it fairly low key. Dinner for 2 at home. Feed the Kids early and ship them off to bed.
Husband cooking this year. Probably Steak as he does a good one. Have a decent Red lined up to match.
We do cards, no flowers, no gifts. Did Dinner out once a million years ago - never again!
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 10:47   #40
osarusan

A few days ago my wife told me she'd be getting something for me, and then said 'Did you hear that? JUST LETTING YOU KNOW.'

I have been warned. There shall be no repeat of last year's unpleasantness.
13-02-2020, 10:49   #41
El_Duderino 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanC10 View Post
Did Dinner out once a million years ago - never again!
I worked in restaurants in the past a d I can guarantee you're getting food that designed to be mass produced, a worse service with bigger mark up and in a more busy restaurant. In short, it's the worst day to eat out.

We'll go for a meal out next week or the week after - whenever suits. But no way I'd go out on valentines or the weekend after if the 14th falls during the week.
Thanks from:
13-02-2020, 10:49   #42
SusieBlue

Female here and also not into it, and never was.
For my first valentines with my ex he pulled out all the stops, he had flowers delivered to my work, got me a beautiful bracelet and perfume and booked us a surprise night away to a hotel with a dinner reservation for a lovely restaurant.

He hadn't believe me when I said I wasn't bothered because his ex used to say things like that and then go postal if there wasn't a big fuss made. Poor lad put himself under such pressure for nothing. I mean, I appreciated the gestures but there was really no need.

Every other subsequent year we got a chinese takeaway and a bottle of wine and watched a movie at home. Far more enjoyable and way less pressure.
13-02-2020, 10:50   #43
Tazium

I enjoy picking a card and writing little things in it for my wife. I do it because I like too, and I don't restrict it to Valentines day either. As a kid I used to receive the occasional card, most were just funny types but I remember getting a genuine one and being totally chuffed with myself. A little loving message written by hand can make a big impact.
13-02-2020, 10:52   #44
One eyed Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by deise08 View Post
So do ye fine people of AH do Valentines or do I just get bogeys?

You get bogeys

The whole “I don’t do...” misses the point. In a relationship it’s not about what you don’t do, it’s about doing things that you know mean something to the other person, or people, whichever

I’ll send a few cards and plush toys and whatever, it’s just a bit of fun. I understand why some people are dead set against the idea in principle, but it’s easy to tell the difference between them and someone who’s just a tightarse
Thanks from:
13-02-2020, 10:55   #45
Raconteuse

Is it not just a day for kids? I don't understand adults even thinking about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus Kilgore View Post
Big hookey load of bolox of a day but I still get the head taken off me if I don't get something
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salary Negotiator View Post
I've been told that I am doing this year and that I have to buy flowers.
Ah lads don't put up with that shyte.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion