Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-02-2020, 23:06   #31
budgese
Budgie Translator

Send a message via Skype™ to budgese
I asked in a pharmacy for Vicks Throat Drops, and then mused "They probably don't make those anymore, do they?" to be told "Not in about 20 years, no."
Advertisement
11-02-2020, 23:10   #32
Emme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyr 556 View Post
Draught excluder. You used to see them all over the place in the 80s and 90s, different designs like ones that’s looked like dogs or whatever.

Recently went to a number of shops and could not find one for love or money.
Lidl and Aldi sometimes have them.
11-02-2020, 23:28   #33
Mrs OBumble

Mr O'Bumble has occasionally sent someone to a hardware shop for a long stand.

It seems to take some people a long while to cop ....
(2) thanks from:
11-02-2020, 23:35   #34
DubInMeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs OBumble View Post

Dad used to send in an apprentice to ask for mickey wire and a mickey puller, but only when there was a woman serving. Both were actual items used on site, but of course not branded as such.
(2) thanks from:
11-02-2020, 23:42   #35
JustAThought

I needed matches for some
bizzare reason a lighter wouldn’t do - and I eventually had to but a multipack of long handle ines! You used get them in every corner shop that sold fGs - its ll lighters now :’(

Plus - those Lidl/Aldi ones are so dangerous - the sulphor head tends to bounce off them when being struck and fly off lit across the room they stick on your skin and burn through if they bounce the wrong way into you

I spent many long hours walking every corner shop and toy shop for a potato gun recently. I’d have got less quare looks asking for a hand grenade.
Advertisement
11-02-2020, 23:43   #36
Sorry about that

I asked for a Roll On for my mother in law (she'd asked me to get her one) in a lingerie shop a few years ago. Nope.
Thanks from:
11-02-2020, 23:46   #37
lucalux

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAThought View Post
I needed matches for some
bizzare reason a lighter wouldn’t do - and I eventually had to but a multipack of long handle ines! You used get them in every corner shop that sold fGs - its ll lighters now :’(

Plus - those Lidl/Aldi ones are so dangerous - the sulphor head tends to bounce off them when being struck and fly off lit across the room they stick on your skin and burn through if they bounce the wrong way into you

I spent many long hours walking every corner shop and toy shop for a potato gun recently. I’d have got less quare looks asking for a hand grenade.
Agreed on the Lidl Aldi matches, very wary of them every time I have to resort to using matches!
Thanks from:
11-02-2020, 23:46   #38
artanevilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmisk View Post
A coal scuttle...literally looked at me like I had two heads. I was in a big hardware store btw not topman.

Oh and Milton the disinfectant...no clue
Try the baby section in a supermarket for the Milton. Great for water bottles etc.
(2) thanks from:
11-02-2020, 23:49   #39
Ubbquittious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs OBumble View Post

I know someone who sent his missus in looking for dowels. When she went in she asked them for gowels. Yer man in the shop said no they don't have a great shelf life
Advertisement
11-02-2020, 23:51   #40
elperello

I was in a pub down the country some years and an old lad came in and produced a large sewing needle about four inches long from his top pocket.

He said it was a packing needle used to sew canvas bags with twine. The last one in the local hardware he proudly announced.
(3) thanks from:
11-02-2020, 23:59   #41
Kat1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAThought

As in a "Spud Gun" that used to fire the little piece of potato ?? That's a blast from the past if it's what you mean.
Did you manage to get one anywhere ??
(2) thanks from:
12-02-2020, 00:15   #42
JustAThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat1170 View Post
As in a "Spud Gun" that used to fire the little piece of potato ?? That's a blast from the past if it's what you mean.
Did you manage to get one anywhere ??
Been looking since November - had a few near misses (just sold the last wan, been hanging in the corner for years etc) - walked into a fancy new toyshop yesterday that were doing a stocktake and they had one in the back of a drawer that some kid had ripped the box off - got if for a song! Little Lord will be delighted!! And yes - we grew up on them - loved them! Used have great spud wars with the hoards of kids on the street until some narky frugal neighbour kicked up an outcry over the waste of food... there are children dying in Africa...
(3) thanks from:
12-02-2020, 00:19   #43
JustAThought

I went looking for double sided sticky velcro tabs for some essential life need a while back; Everywhere in the 90’s - might as well have been looking for a fresh dinosaur steak. Very handy yokes.
Thanks from:
12-02-2020, 00:24   #44
jimbobaloobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAThought View Post
I went looking for double sided sticky velcro tabs for some essential life need a while back; Everywhere in the 90’s - might as well have been looking for a fresh dinosaur steak. Very handy yokes.
Hickeys in Galway wellpark centre have them.
Thanks from:
12-02-2020, 00:26   #45
Del2005

I had the opposite. Went into the local post office / shop where my dad is from and asked for shower gel. The owner had no idea what I was talking about, when we explained what it was she said that sounds like a good product and will get some in. Haven't been back so don't know if she ever did.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion