Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-02-2020, 10:22   #106
Ads by Google

I can't believe I didn't win and I think the Spanish guy is a prick. I was already spending the money in my head. Need to actually buy a ticket next time.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 20:45   #107
sligeach

Not specifically about this thread, but I'm curious, when you do a Lotto quick pick, is the machine in the shop picking them, or is it from back at Lotto HQ? Does anyone know? The latest €17 million winner is from Mayo and on the Irish Times they say...

“Mayo is a really lucky county when it comes to EuroMillions wins as amazingly this is the third Mayo jackpot win. This means that 20 per cent of all Irish EuroMillions jackpot winners come from the Heather County.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...72635?mode=amp

For one county with a population of ~131,000 to win so many times is so against the odds. Mayo has ~2.5% of the country's population but punches way above its weight. Not content with just winning the jackpot, another person in Mayo won the EuroMillions Plus draw on the same night. There's only a handful of counties that have won a EuroMillions jackpot prize, Carlow, Tipperary and Waterford(I think), Limerick, all once, and then Dublin obviously.

Back to my original question, is it the machine in the shop picking the numbers, Lotto HQ, or is it the lucky affect of Knock blessing Mayo residents?
13-02-2020, 20:48   #108
Ubbquittious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sligeach View Post
Not specifically about this thread, but I'm curious, when you do a Lotto quick pick, is the machine in the shop picking them, or is it from back at Lotto HQ? Does anyone know? The latest €17 million winner is from Mayo and on the Irish Times they say...

“Mayo is a really lucky county when it comes to EuroMillions wins as amazingly this is the third Mayo jackpot win. This means that 20 per cent of all Irish EuroMillions jackpot winners come from the Heather County.”

For one county with a population of ~131,000 to win so many times is so against the odds. Mayo has ~2.5% of the country's population but punches way above its weight. Not content with just winning the jackpot, another person in Mayo won the EuroMillions Plus draw on the same night. There's only a handful of counties that have won a EuroMillions jackpot prize, Carlow, Tipperary and Waterford(I think), Limerick, all once, and then Dublin obviously.

Back to my original question, is it the machine in the shop picking the numbers, Lotto HQ, or is it the lucky affect of Knock blessing Mayo residents?

Feck it I'm heading there in a couple of months. Must get a couple of tickets while I'm there. Might get one close to Knock and see how it compares to the other tickets
14-02-2020, 01:15   #109
feelthepower

Quote:

The machine in the shop sends a request to their data center, probably have quiet a few, a random number generator generates numbers the number and barcode assigned, sends the details back to the shop and it generates the ticket.
14-02-2020, 09:05   #110
sligeach

I was also thinking that to win the EuroMillions jackpot the odds are 1 in 139,838,160. But for people in Mayo to win both of the draws on the same night, you must be looking at odds in the billions. I don't know how you'd work that out.
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 09:27   #111
Ads by Google

Quote:
I was also thinking that to win the EuroMillions jackpot the odds are 1 in 139,838,160. But for people in Mayo to win both of the draws on the same night, you must be looking at odds in the billions. I don't know how you'd work that out.
I think if we ignore Mayo / number of tickets and focus on the two the two lotteries, then there are a few scenarios..

1. "Jaysus, I wonder if both could be won in Mayo this weekend."
- Multiply the odds so it's in the billions.

2. "Jaysus, I wonder if both could ever be won in Mayo on the same weekend."
- Mathematically, the odds of this are 1? Infinity and all that.

3. "Jaysus, Mayo won both of them last weekend."
- I have no idea how to work out the odds. I feel like it's just the higher odds which would be Euromillions.

4. "Jaysus, your one just won the Euromillions. Wonder if someone will win the other one this evening."
- The odds are just the odds of the other one as the odds of winning the Euromillions is now 1. And vice versa if the Euromillions was after.

I just know that the same lottery numbers came out two weeks in a row in Bulgaria or something and the odds of that happening were just the odds of the lottery. It makes perfect sense if you imagine week one's lottery to be a quick pick and week two to be the actual draw.

Open to correction by someone who is actually good at this stuff. I hated probability in school.

Last edited by Ads by Google; 14-02-2020 at 09:34.
14-02-2020, 09:59   #112
weldoninhio

My mother would get a new house and anything she needed, all bought, no cash as she'd spread it to the brother and sister I don't talk to. I would buy all of my friends houses off them and "rent" them back to them at around €1 a month. Buy houses and let 2 of my sisters and one of my brothers live in them. My other brother and sister would get nothing. Charity would get nothing. I'd help out the local football and GAA clubs, schools and i'd but machinery for hospital if they needed it.
14-02-2020, 10:01   #113
Chinese whospers

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
I would buy all of my friends houses off them and "rent" them back to them at around €1 a month.
Best you never win, being your friends' landlord would not be a good thing.
14-02-2020, 10:05   #114
weldoninhio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese whospers View Post
Best you never win, being your friends' landlord would not be a good thing.
I wouldn't be their "landlord" it would just be a way of paying off their mortgage for them without giving the tax man a fortune.
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 10:22   #115
sligeach

The odds of winning both draws on the same night just got even longer. Castlebar sold both tickets.

"This is the third EuroMillions jackpot win in the town. And with a population of 12,000 people, surely Castlebar is Europe’s luckiest town!"

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/ro...ackpot-winner/

That's insane! We should all move to Castlebar. They say lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place, but for one small town to win 3 times is crazy.
14-02-2020, 10:41   #116
mondeo

I'm sure my sister's would start liking me again.... They haven't sat down with me for years.

"Oh how are you ?? Long time ! remember how close we were when growing up". F off.......
Thanks from:
14-02-2020, 11:16   #117
Chinese whospers

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
I wouldn't be their "landlord" it would just be a way of paying off their mortgage for them without giving the tax man a fortune.
You'd own their houses - that makes you their landlord.
14-02-2020, 11:17   #118
Chinese whospers

Quote:
That's insane! We should all move to Castlebar. They say lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place, but for one small town to win 3 times is crazy.
What else have to you do in Castlebar with your time or money, but play the lotto
14-02-2020, 11:50   #119
sligeach

Castlebar's has 0.24% of the country's population or ~1/416th. For the town to win 3 times is bonkers. And they've won the EuroMillions Plus draw 6 times as well. It's nuts when you think about it. Lucky town is an understatement.

They've won the Lotto and numerous other draws. There's far bigger towns in Ireland that have never won anything.

Is Castlebar Europe's luckiest town? Celebrations after third EuroMillions win

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/202...ons-castlebar/

Yes it is.

Last edited by sligeach; 14-02-2020 at 12:20.
14-02-2020, 12:35   #120
weldoninhio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese whospers View Post
You'd own their houses - that makes you their landlord.
I'd be an absentee landlord.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion