Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-02-2020, 23:07   #1
snowgal

Euromillions- what would your family get?!

Hi all, myself and OH having a chat tonight about what we’d do if we won the €130 million jackpot tomorrow. ( I mean with giving money to family/friends only not all the rest you’d spend it on) We’re from very different backgrounds family wise, he is an only child and both his mother and father have passed away and not really close with any other family. I’m the opposite with a bigger family all close and they all have kids etc. I thought I’d probably give them 2 million each (five families in total) and then I’d give my close friends a million each (about 10 ppl) and a good portion to various charities. OH was very surprised it’d be that much, I thought it could be more with that amount won. What would you do?
Advertisement
06-02-2020, 23:08   #2
Rufeo

Id disappear. Like Jason Bourne.
06-02-2020, 23:21   #4
Spanish Eyes

What did all the previous winners of the Euromillions do? The only idiots we hear about are British imo.

Sorry to say it, but it's true, they sell their story to get more.

It is Europe wide don't forget, and many want to remain anonymous. And do. They have brains.
06-02-2020, 23:23   #5
Zaph
A kick in the gulags

My family would get a postcard from some tropical paradise far away.
Advertisement
06-02-2020, 23:24   #6
jaxxx

They'd get a lovely, huge house. Never have to iron, clean or cook ever again! Waited on hand and foot!

Cos I'd throw them all into the cheapest retirement home I can find!! !! !!
06-02-2020, 23:34   #7
ohnonotgmail

they would get a postcard from the bahamas
06-02-2020, 23:42   #8
freshpopcorn

A carvery.
(3) thanks from:
06-02-2020, 23:46   #9
Mam of 4

Truthfully , wouldn't have a clue how much to give them , you'd have to think about it carefully .
I'd make sure they all had their own houses first though , so they wouldn't have to worry about that , and then I'd sit down with a mug of Carte Noir instant coffee and ponder the rest
Advertisement
06-02-2020, 23:50   #10
Rufeo

I mist go out and buy some Carte Noir. Hah. All i can think about is David Ginola now.
Thanks from:
06-02-2020, 23:51   #11
TheBully

A family member of mine won a substantial amount, sorted out one sister and shut the rest of her family out. Lied to her father on his death bed that she had won anything.
Her brothers and sisters wanted nothing off her but in fear that she may have to give them something she cut them out of their lives and tore the family apart and to this day still lies about it.
(2) thanks from:
06-02-2020, 23:55   #12
Snails pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBully View Post
A family member of mine won a substantial amount, sorted out one sister and shut the rest of her family out. Lied to her father on his death bed that she had won anything.
Her brothers and sisters wanted nothing off her but in fear that she may have to give them something she cut them out of their lives and tore the family apart and to this day still lies about it.
Gaining a substantial amount of money in short notice would give you mental health problems, you would over think every little thing.
Thanks from:
07-02-2020, 00:01   #13
TheBully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snails pace View Post
Gaining a substantial amount of money in short notice would give you mental health problems, you would over think every little thing.
Yup, I think that’s what’s happened, it’s been a small few years now and still won’t admit she won, and the sister she sorted only got money if she swore to secrecy.

They are welcome to it, they were all once a large seriously close family, that they have torn apart. There is plenty of brothers and sisters though so the rest of them have remained tight while the others have lost family
07-02-2020, 00:05   #14
Berties_Horse

My parents would never have to lift a finger again. Live-in nurse, cook and cleaner.
07-02-2020, 00:53   #15
chrissb8

I genuinely think it would ruin me. I would have to put it to some good use as a foundation or scholarship programme. I would feel massively at an unease having that much money.

Of course, I would do whatever the hell I wanted for the first 10 years, dream house built, sort family & friends out, experiences, holidays etc. Put some to the side as well, but eventually, I would just get worn out having it hang over my head and define the relationships with people in my life.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion