Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-12-2019, 15:54   #1
beejee

Things you just "don't get"?

Tis the season and all that, people buying presents and all the shopping on overkill.

Wandering around a few shops yesterday it struck me that there are some very popular items/things that I just "don't get". I don't understand the popularity.

I could name loads of things, but I'll stick to two: phones and televisions.

Phones... Madness to me. 500 and 600 and 700 plus quid for a phone. For what?!

I'll buy myself a phone for around 100 quid, job done for years. It will take good pictures, good videos, loads of storage, use the Internet. Job done.

So why are people spending 10 times more on such a basic tool? Oh it can load a Web page 0.0000000007 nano seconds faster? Wow! It has multiple lens to take a picture? Phwooar!

Nah, just don't get it. Whatsoever.

Televisions are the same to me. Big television, very nice.

Spend an extra thousand quid to go from "4k" to "8k"? Crazy. I'm looking at the display televisions on shops, and I don't think I'd notice a difference even if I had a magnifying glass.

I just don't get it.

I understand paying more for a couple extra features, but literally multiples of the price? Nah, it's barking mad.

What don't ye "get" over the silly season? Or are you barking mad too? Woof!
(73) thanks from:
171170, 1dave123, 4Ad, 5star02707, Aceandstuff, Aglomerado, Alicano, amadangomor, BattleCorp, bfa1509, BIGT4464, BK92, boardise, BrenMar, CelticRambler, Cessna_Pilot, Cutie 3.14, D n G, Danno, dark crystal, darlett, de5p0i1er, Del.Monte, dePeatrick, Emmersonn, Filmer Paradise, Four Phucs Ache, Fritzbox, FTA69, HalloweenJack, Hatshepsut, heartseeker, Hector Savage, Hill St Blue, howyanow, irishguitarlad, JupiterKid, kingchess, LAZYIRISH, LessOutragePlz, lexi-lexi, LimeFruitGum, Macdarack, maebee, Mam of 4, maninasia, mariaalice, Melanchthon, OldRio, padjocollins, padohaodha, pgj2015, PhilOssophy, Posy, Realt Dearg Sec, riggerman, saabsaab, Samsgirl, Seamai, shamrock55, shockwave, skooterblue2, Smart Bug, Snow Garden, soupandpoitin, Sudden Valley, Tammy!, Tired Gardener, tupenny, Victor, Wanderer78, X111111111111, Zirconia
Advertisement
17-12-2019, 15:56   #2
Dogg Munde

Have you tried having a nap?
17-12-2019, 15:59   #4
Stevieluvsye

Tis the season alright......for poxy threads
17-12-2019, 16:01   #5
beejee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieluvsye View Post
Tis the season alright......for poxy threads
Harvey Norman pr doing damage control in here
Advertisement
17-12-2019, 16:02   #6
andekwarhola

Herpes.
(3) thanks from:
17-12-2019, 16:03   #7
beejee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy! View Post
Cranberry sauce on Turkey
So you're barking mad then

Ham and mustard, cranberry and Turkey, some things were meant to be
17-12-2019, 16:04   #8
beejee

Quote:
Originally Posted by andekwarhola View Post
Herpes.
This year's "hot item"
(2) thanks from:
17-12-2019, 16:04   #9

Those pod coffee machines

what the hell are they about? - like, why would you spend a fortune on a machine so's you can spend a fortune on little pots of crap coffee? Little pots that are apparently a pain in the ass to recycle.

Buy decent beans, a grinder and an aeropress.

There, now you have good coffee and you're not knee-deep in stupid little pots!
(135) thanks from:
171170, 2011, 2_fri, 5star02707, Accumulator, Aceandstuff, Aglomerado, ahnowbrowncow, Alanstrainor, AllForIt, amadangomor, angel eyes 2012, Antares35, ArnoldJRimmer, ArrBee, BattleCorp, beejee, Belle E. Flops, Billgirlylegs, BK92, blingrhino, boardise, Bobby42, bodhrandude, boombang, BrenMar, BuboBubo, CalamariFritti, Captain Havoc, CelticRambler, Cessna_Pilot, Ciderswigger, colly10, coolbeans, Cutie 3.14, Day Lewin, de5p0i1er, Deja Boo, Donall.ID.3, donegal_man, Drumpot, Dtp1979, Dublinstiofán, fineso.mom, Firefork, fits, Foggy Jew, FoxyVixen, G1032, GarIT, Get Real, GingerLily, gman127, Goodigal, gordongekko, GrumPy, Hector Savage, howyanow, hullaballoo, IAMAMORON, Idle Passerby, irishguitarlad, Jayesdiem, Jeffrey Lebowski, JustAThought, Katgurl, KathleenGrant, Keisha07, kenmc, klaz, lawred2, LessOutragePlz, lexi-lexi, Lia_lia, Littlehorny, Loire, LorenzoB, Lucyfur, MadYaker, maebee, makeandcreate, maninasia, mariaalice, metalfest, milhous, mistersifter, mrsdewinter, muddypaws, munster87, OwaynOTT, PaddyBomb, padjocollins, Paranoid Mandroid, parttime, patmac, paulbok, Posy, Potential-Monke, Purgative, quickbeam, QuiteInterestin, r3nu4l, rainyrun, rgace, Ronan|Raven, RoryMac, Rosie Rant, saabsaab, Salmon Leap, secondrowgal, skittles8710, Smart Bug, Snow Garden, sozbox, sparkledrum, starbaby2003, steves2, stop animal cruelty, strandroad, SuperGrover, tampopo, tara73, TaurenDruid, the purple tin, Tired Gardener, tom_k, triggermortis, Ubbquittious, VG31, weemcd, Wibbs, wiggle16, woodchuck, yorlum11, Zubeneschamali
Advertisement
17-12-2019, 16:05   #10
atticu

iPhones are the only phones that do accessibility properly.
(2) thanks from:
17-12-2019, 16:07   #11
punisher5112

It's not butter.....

Why is the sky blue....

What's a tracker mortgage....

Gender fluidity.....
17-12-2019, 16:08   #12
beejee

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0jangles View Post
Those pod coffee machines

what the hell are they about? - like, why would you spend a fortune on a machine so's you can spend a fortune on little pots of crap coffee? Little pots that are apparently a pain in the ass to recycle.

Buy decent beans, a grinder and an aeropress.

There, now you have good coffee and you're not knee-deep in stupid little pots!
Very good example!

Here's a way to make an everyday thing, but with severe limitations for inconvenience.

Imagine a tea machine a la father Ted, bit you can only use Barry's tea forever. Ha!
17-12-2019, 16:09   #14
SBPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejee View Post
Tis the season and all that, people buying presents and all the shopping on overkill.

Wandering around a few shops yesterday it struck me that there are some very popular items/things that I just "don't get". I don't understand the popularity.

I could name loads of things, but I'll stick to two: phones and televisions.

Phones... Madness to me. 500 and 600 and 700 plus quid for a phone. For what?!

I'll buy myself a phone for around 100 quid, job done for years. It will take good pictures, good videos, loads of storage, use the Internet. Job done.

So why are people spending 10 times more on such a basic tool? Oh it can load a Web page 0.0000000007 nano seconds faster? Wow! It has multiple lens to take a picture? Phwooar!

Nah, just don't get it. Whatsoever.

Televisions are the same to me. Big television, very nice.

Spend an extra thousand quid to go from "4k" to "8k"? Crazy. I'm looking at the display televisions on shops, and I don't think I'd notice a difference even if I had a magnifying glass.

I just don't get it.

I understand paying more for a couple extra features, but literally multiples of the price? Nah, it's barking mad.

What don't ye "get" over the silly season? Or are you barking mad too? Woof!
I would come off them tablets if i were you
Thanks from:
17-12-2019, 16:09   #15
EmmetSpiceland

People getting incredibly “worked up” over things that other people do that have nothing to do with them.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion