Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-08-2019, 16:51   #61
Raconteuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fegelien View Post
That 90% of our live is determined by where we are born (geography), what family we are born into, and or genetic makeup.

I don't think many criminals had much choice in their actions, but I'd still want them locked up.
What's unpopular about those?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Attack View Post
1. Superhero movies are childish and stupid.
2. MMA is a garbage sport, disgusting.
3. All mainstream pop music since 1970 is garbage.
4. Christopher Nolan makes empty popcorn movies.
5. Sports fanatics are sad.
6. Most Irish history is not something to be proud of. ie. Easter Rising
7. Irish music, arts and culture is overrated.
8. Hate those who promote drinking and drug culture to children.
9. If it is really true that 'people kill people, not guns', then there is no argument for asking N Korea or other rogue states not to acquire as many nukes as they want.
10. Heavens Gate is an excellent film.
11. Dances With Wolves OVER Goodfellas.
12 Punk music was a good movement, but like No Wave, it's mostly music with very little substance.
13. Rave was the worst music movement ever.
14. 2Pac couldn't hold a candle next to Kendrick Lamar, Tyler the Creator or even Kanye West.
15. ' Fly' remains Breaking Bad's greatest episode.
16. Dickheads who disrupt an argument by using the moronic cliche "Everyone has a right to an opinion". A semantic stop sign to stifle any further discussion on a topic.
8 is definitely not unpopular! 10. Is it considered a terrible film?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-08-2019, 16:52   #62
uncommon_name

Temple bar should be closed down completely unless they reduce their idiotic prices for a bloody pint.

€8 for a pint of Guinness and €8.90 for a pint of Heineken. I would understand €6.50 maybe in the center of Dublin in a tourist area.
They do not advertise their prices anywhere view able and then when I refused to take the drinks and told them I would leave the bouncer was called in and wouldn't let me leave until I paid for the drinks, or else they were calling the Gardai.
Needless to say I told them to call the Gardai as they were trying to rob me, they let me go eventually.

Ended up in a much nicer pub, much quieter and feck all tourists and paid €5.80 for my Heineken and €5.40 for the Guinness.
Thanks from:
20-08-2019, 16:58   #63
mikemac2

I thought pubs had to display prices inside the door ?

In fact when I was a student doing bar work i filled up that form and put it inside the front doors.

Bars got an easy to read template to complete and hang up
20-08-2019, 16:59   #64
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRACKEA View Post
I don't think there should be any obligation for signs and services to include the Irish language. I say that as a gaeilgeoir. Nobody needs it. Probably <5 people in the world are monoglot Irish speakers. (Monoglot = only speaks the one language)

French or Polish would be much more useful.

Edit to add: just googled it. There are actually 0 Irish monoglots in the world.
I know somebody who speaks both Irish and Welsh fluently. I think he is the only person in the world with that ability.
(2) thanks from:
20-08-2019, 17:05   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by touts View Post
I believe full state benefits should only be paid to those who have worked a minimum of 5 years in the state.

Even with that all state benefits (unemployment, pension, child benefit) should be paid in vouchers that can only be redeemed against certain items (not bouncy castles, booze, fags, fake tan etc)

People in receipt of free housing should live where the state gives them the free house and not have a choice in that. Any damage they do to the house is taken from their welfare. Once they get a job they start to pay rent to the state at the average rent in the locality.

Voting should be limited to active citizens who have either paid tax or taken part in voluntary work for at least 5 years.

People should pay for water and sewage.

Property tax should be based on the services in your locality and not the value of your home.

There is nothing wrong with a two tier health service. Anyone who pays the tax that funds the health service should have priority access on waiting lists or for private rooms etc.

There should be a three strike and you are out rule in the criminal justice sector. On your third or subsequent conviction you lose all rights to bail, reduced sentences, early release etc. You serve the maximum sentence set down in law and not a day less.

Life means life.
Why should people be stigmatised like that? If you’re receiving benefits because you are seriously ill or of pension age, why add insult to injury? And would anyone begrudge somebody who is seriously ill or a pensioner treating themselves to something non-essential every once in a while?
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-08-2019, 17:06   #66
Berties_Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon_name View Post
€8 for a pint of Guinness and €8.90 for a pint of Heineken. I would understand €6.50 maybe in the center of Dublin in a tourist area.
A fool and his money, I wouldn't abide having to fork out more than a fiver for Arthur. Let the gullible tourists empty their pockets. Surprised if many locals supped away in Temple Bar, a mugs paradise.
20-08-2019, 17:08   #67
EmmetSpiceland

Quote:
Ended up in a much nicer pub, much quieter and feck all tourists and paid €5.80 for my Heineken and €5.40 for the Guinness.
You’re still getting ripped off paying those prices.
20-08-2019, 17:10   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclepath View Post
A man should not be forced to take on financial or other responsibility for supporting a baby he doesn't want, for example an unplanned pregnancy, one night stand with no protection etc.

To clarify, I am pro-choice, but a prospective mother has the right to abort a foetus without recourse to the potential father, so I think it's only fair that the man should have a choice too.
Only within the window that allows a woman to abort if she’s not going to get support from the father. Much like abortion can’t happen in the latter stages of pregnancy, so too should a man not be allowed to absolve themselves of their responsibility at that stage either.
Thanks from:
20-08-2019, 17:10   #69
rgmmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obvious Desperate Breakfasts View Post
I know somebody who speaks both Irish and Welsh fluently. I think he is the only person in the world with that ability.
Not quite - I know a guy who can speak Irish, Welsh and Spanish.

Goes by the name Ulick Carlos Alberto Jones - Or Ulick C.A. Jones for short
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-08-2019, 10:57   #70
uncommon_name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berties_Horse View Post
A fool and his money, I wouldn't abide having to fork out more than a fiver for Arthur. Let the gullible tourists empty their pockets. Surprised if many locals supped away in Temple Bar, a mugs paradise.
Surprisingly there was a lot more Irish in there than I would have expected. Sitting there in the corner drinking and throwing their money away.
21-08-2019, 10:58   #71
uncommon_name

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmetSpiceland View Post
You’re still getting ripped off paying those prices.
Yes I know, but you won't find many places less than that in Dublin City Center. Unfortunately I was there for a party so had no option but to stay in Dublin.
Thanks from:
21-08-2019, 10:59   #72
uncommon_name

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemac2 View Post
I thought pubs had to display prices inside the door ?

In fact when I was a student doing bar work i filled up that form and put it inside the front doors.

Bars got an easy to read template to complete and hang up
Maybe there was, I didn't look just inside the door. I was looking in the area the bar was.
21-08-2019, 11:06   #73
the beer revolu

Pringles are not crisps.
They are a reformed powdered potato snack.
And they're sh1te.
Pure sh1te

Last edited by the beer revolu; 21-08-2019 at 11:12.
21-08-2019, 11:09   #74
uncommon_name

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beer revolu View Post
Pringles are not crisps.
They are a reformed powdered potato snack.
And they're sh1te.
I can't believe you just said that
(3) thanks from:
21-08-2019, 11:13   #75
the beer revolu

Quote:
I can't believe you just said that
I'm pretty edgy.
Most people can't handle that!
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply