Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-08-2019, 13:52   #16
the beer revolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by I see sheep View Post
I think most travellers are grand
It's mad that we've become a pretty liberal, pc society and have looked after minorities but for some reason, blatant racism against travellers is completely socially acceptable amongst all levels of society.

Now, we can all find examples of traveller's behaving badly (I've been the victim of crime at the hands of three men who were travellers) but to prejudge someone purely on the ground of being a traveller is just blatant discrimination and racism.
There really is no getting away from that fact.
There are a lot of racists on here.
Advertisement
20-08-2019, 13:52   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRACKEA View Post
God, I didn't even think about it not being a common term. Hopefully that's clearer. Thanks Paddy
Maybe it is common and I'm just thick
20-08-2019, 13:54   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beer revolu View Post
It's mad that we've become a pretty liberal, pc society and have looked after minorities but for some reason, blatant racism against travellers is completely socially acceptable amongst all levels of society.

Now, we can all find examples of traveller's behaving badly (I've been the victim of crime at the hands of three men who were travellers) but to prejudge someone purely on the ground of being a traveller is just blatant discrimination and racism.
Whatever you think about Travellers, at least get one thing straight WE ARE THE SAME RACE. That is a fact.
20-08-2019, 13:55   #19
Berties_Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by I see sheep View Post
I think most travellers are grand
Upstanding members of society who contribute their fair share of tax, and never demand anything for nothing.
20-08-2019, 13:56   #20

Quote:
I don't think there should be any obligation for signs and services to include the Irish language. I say that as a gaeilgeoir. Nobody needs it. Probably <5 people in the world are monoglot Irish speakers. (Monoglot = only speaks the one language)

French or Polish would be much more useful.

Edit to add: just googled it. There are actually 0 Irish monoglots in the world.
I don’t think there is such an obligation except perhaps government signage. I don’t see menus in Irish.
Advertisement
20-08-2019, 13:57   #21
Experience_day

Quote:

My opinion is that you & other hand wringers should be forced to live next to them. Just like the D4 tossers in RTE telling us all to accept more "refugees" from the comforts of areas where everyone else is priced out so they are not affected.
20-08-2019, 13:59   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Von Peppercorn II View Post
I don’t think there is such an obligation except perhaps government signage. I don’t see menus in Irish.
Every annual report or notification by state or semi state bodies has to be issued in Irish. A waste of resources and an unnecessary expense.
20-08-2019, 14:01   #23
the beer revolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy Cow View Post
Whatever you think about Travellers, at least get one thing straight WE ARE THE SAME RACE. That is a fact.
Yeah, yeah.
What ever way you look at it, it is blatant discrimination on the grounds of being a member of a particular sub set of society.
Call it what ever you want.
(3) thanks from:
20-08-2019, 14:02   #24

Quote:
Yes. I meant the requirement for state and semi state bodies, as per Srameens response. Figured people would've got that caveat from context. Oops!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-08-2019, 14:04   #25

Quote:

There’s a fair amount of hypocrisy on the traveler issue alright. I once googled traveller halting sites and the vast majority were in the poorest parts of Dublin, often along the M50, or outside the poorer towns in Ireland but it makes sense to put halting sites in areas that are privileged; any other action increases the disadvantages of the area and the travellers.

However Ireland’s liberal bourgeoisie have both constructed a society where they can be racist towards travellers and halt any criticism of their racism.
(5) thanks from:
20-08-2019, 14:04   #26
the beer revolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experience_day View Post
My opinion is that you & other hand wringers should be forced to live next to them. .
I've never lived next to travellers but I have had Roma folk living next door to me. They were lovely neighbours. Genuinely.

If my neighbours engage in anti social behaviour, I don't want them there. What group they belong to is irrelevant to me.
(3) thanks from:
20-08-2019, 14:10   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Tall Coral View Post
Every annual report or notification by state or semi state bodies has to be issued in Irish. A waste of resources and an unnecessary expense.
Well it is an official language, so until that changes...
20-08-2019, 14:11   #28
nthclare

Sunshine lollipops and rainbow's
20-08-2019, 14:11   #29

Quote:
Well it is an official language, so until that changes...
Yes I know why it is this way. I'm just sharing my possibly unpopular opinion on it as the thread is encouraging us to do...
20-08-2019, 14:16   #30

Quote:
Yes I know why it is this way. I'm just sharing my possibly unpopular opinion on it as the thread is encouraging us to do...
I know and I wasn’t replying to you. You mentioned signs but Srameen mentioned official documents.

Also I don’t think that opinion is all that unpopular, it’s fairly popular online.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion