Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-02-2020, 08:01   #2281
Ted_YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretas Gonna Get Ya!
Depending on the mod in question, of course, and whether they are bit rude and/or lazy!
Contacting mod is first point of call.

If you have encountered a rude or lazy mod, then you obviously havent resolved your issue, so DR is next step..

Can we draw a line under this now.
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 11:26   #2282
bob mcbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblunt View Post
I live in Scotland, the mountain rescue are always out and about, fair enough this particular crowd were particularly inept with the trainers etc. but at least they used that app to draw attention. In the summer they repeatedly have to take people down who are stuck due to darkness falling and not giving themselves enough time. Often those folk are just wearing gym gear too.
I agree, the Scottish mountains are dangerous because the weather conditions can change very quickly so setting out in sunshine can result in whiteout conditions at the summit.

But set out to climb Ben Nevis in the middle of one of the biggest winter storms of the year is, as you say, particularly inept.
(2) thanks from:
14-02-2020, 19:48   #2283
maxsmum

Unpopular opinion? People should just drop them here and no discussion or debate. They're unpopular opinions. Post thanks can say it all. I think thread would read much better.
(2) thanks from:
15-02-2020, 23:06   #2284
BattleCorp

Certainly this will be an unpopular opinion. I've had a bag of cans so here goes.............

People nowadays have fcukall resilience, especially younger people. Suicide seems to be the answer to any adversity.

Example...........Caroline Flack.

She allegedly hit a lad with a lamp. Not good but she's hardly a serial killer. She fcuked up, that's all. We all fcuk up. Christ I've done some mad dumb sh1t in my life.

The lamp incident damaged her career and her love life.

So what, just get on with things. Accept your punishment and move on. Her career probably would have recovered. She would have either rekindled her romance or started a new one. It wasn't the end of the world.

Hardly worth killing yourself over.

It's not the young people's fault though. Resilience is being taught/engineered out of them.
15-02-2020, 23:09   #2285
Tony EH

I know bugger all about this Caroline Flack. But I rather think her problems ran deeper than that.
Advertisement
16-02-2020, 20:58   #2286
pinkyeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCorp View Post
Certainly this will be an unpopular opinion. I've had a bag of cans so here goes.............

People nowadays have fcukall resilience, especially younger people. Suicide seems to be the answer to any adversity.

Example...........Caroline Flack.

She allegedly hit a lad with a lamp. Not good but she's hardly a serial killer. She fcuked up, that's all. We all fcuk up. Christ I've done some mad dumb sh1t in my life.

The lamp incident damaged her career and her love life.

So what, just get on with things. Accept your punishment and move on. Her career probably would have recovered. She would have either rekindled her romance or started a new one. It wasn't the end of the world.

Hardly worth killing yourself over.

It's not the young people's fault though. Resilience is being taught/engineered out of them.
You might want to rethink that bag of cans.

Suicide is not the easy option, it's the ONLY option for some people who feel despair that will never pass.
(4) thanks from:
16-02-2020, 21:11   #2287
Millicently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony EH View Post
I know bugger all about this Caroline Flack. But I rather think her problems ran deeper than that.
We don't actually know that. Her family have been silent as they are trying to digest and cope with the tragedy while her management people are bitching about the Crown Prosecution Service doing their job and prosecuting her. Nobody should be exempt from the law, not because of celebrity or whatever this mysterious vulnerability she allegedly had. It's all very well saying she wasn't receiving the help she needed but where were her family and friends and management team if they are so adamant about it?
Thanks from:
16-02-2020, 21:16   #2288
One eyed Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkyeye View Post
You might want to rethink that bag of cans.

Suicide is not the easy option, it's the ONLY option for some people who feel despair that will never pass.

The idea of this ever becoming a popular opinion is frightening. Suicide shouldn’t be an option at all, and it’s certainly not the only option no matter how much in the depths of despair someone feels they are. I dislike the idea that it would ever actually become an acceptable practice in Irish society. I believe that as a society we have a duty to do better.
16-02-2020, 21:18   #2289
Justin Credible Darts

I do not care when some celebrity I have never met, known or cared about dies....
I will not pretend to be upset. or do the sheep mentality and take to social media to express some made up sympathy.

I care deeply about those close to me, my family, friends, my pets etc, and can understand the pain the family of the selfish flack is going through, but still does not mean I care.

Add in the fact she assaulted her partner, were that a man that assaulted a woman and committed suicide, would there be the same faux grief outpouring ?
Any person that assaults their partner is scum, even if they are now dead.
Advertisement
16-02-2020, 21:23   #2290
TheDavester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Credible Darts View Post
I do not care when some celebrity I have never met, known or cared about dies....
I will not pretend to be upset. or do the sheep mentality and take to social media to express some made up sympathy.

I care deeply about those close to me, my family, friends, my pets etc, and can understand the pain the family of the selfish flack is going through, but still does not mean I care.

Add in the fact she assaulted her partner, were that a man that assaulted a woman and committed suicide, would there be the same faux grief outpouring ?
this, im hating the wannabe influencers, and dopes who watch reality crap post that same "inspirational" quote she put on her insta (taken from somewhere else) and would these "celebs" theyre fawning over, put an insta/social media post of RIP Mary or Tom Murphy....no they fecking wouldnt....grow up theyre not your real friends/family...just people you see on telly...

And if Chris Brown died, the same ones blaming the media/tweeting poor Flack, more than likely would be dancing in joy/tweeting Good riddance etc(and none of the so brave nonsense)

Last edited by TheDavester; 16-02-2020 at 21:26.
17-02-2020, 11:58   #2291
Antares35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDavester View Post
this, im hating the wannabe influencers, and dopes who watch reality crap post that same "inspirational" quote she put on her insta (taken from somewhere else) and would these "celebs" theyre fawning over, put an insta/social media post of RIP Mary or Tom Murphy....no they fecking wouldnt....grow up theyre not your real friends/family...just people you see on telly...

And if Chris Brown died, the same ones blaming the media/tweeting poor Flack, more than likely would be dancing in joy/tweeting Good riddance etc(and none of the so brave nonsense)
I wish I could thank this twice. The social media vomit fest has been ridiculous. People trying to outdo each other in their outpouring of grief over someone they didnt know and changing their profile pictures to "Be Kind" etc.

My unpopular opinion is that the whole blame the media" thing is complete bullsh*t.
(2) thanks from:
17-02-2020, 12:45   #2292
Ash.J.Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Credible Darts View Post

If it was a family member of yours you would still be powerless, the plan executed by Miss flack would be the exact same as your hypothetical family member, they would create a distraction ie arrange you to pick up medication etc and then take the opportunity.
Thanks from:
17-02-2020, 13:19   #2293
jakobgallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by One eyed Jack View Post
The idea of this ever becoming a popular opinion is frightening. Suicide shouldn’t be an option at all, and it’s certainly not the only option no matter how much in the depths of despair someone feels they are. I dislike the idea that it would ever actually become an acceptable practice in Irish society. I believe that as a society we have a duty to do better.

I agree this is a worrying way to think, suicide is a very permanent solution to what is nearly always a temporary problem. People should be encouraged to always seek out professional help.

That said it can be almost impossible for healthy people to comprehend the pain individuals must be going through in order to end their own lives. David Foster Wallace explains this better than I ever could.

“The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.”

Again suicide is such a complex issue and every case is very personal to the individual and unfortunately Wallace did eventually take his own life. I feel it's good that it can be talked about even in the unpopular opinions tread just so we can advise people to seek professional help over and over again. If people are having suicidal thoughts they should contact their GP or if they just want someone to listen they should phone the Samaritans.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion