Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Travellers.

nah - knew this Scottish lad who was an airline pilot for Ryanair

shorts and flip flops in winter

Flies for Emirates now and based in Dubai. He got exactly what he wanted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I don't get when people say your life goes out the window when you have a baby. Only if your life is all nightlife in pubs but you can bring them with you most places. There are baby wraps.

I have a cousin who has essentially disappeared off the face of earth since he had kids. It's actually worrying how secluded his life has become, although I do think it's more to do with his OH.

I have been at two of his immediate family's celebrations in the mean-time, and he has literally stayed for one pint, a bit of food and left early. This despite his own siblings having kids too.

Even his wedding was under the guise of a christening but was a surprise ceremony. Noticeably, a lot of his wife's side were present, but very few of his own cousins/friends. It seemed to be her day only.

I happened to bump into him randomly at the annual town festival in summer 2018, and he hadn't heard that one cousin had broken-up with a long-term girlfriend, or that my own brother had emigrated. I mean how out of the loop can you get. He must be the first man ever to be under the thumb. Even then, he was allowed have one drink, and it seemed like he was being monitored.

He used the ring me every weekend when he was single, and I always did my best to accommodate him if he wanted to go for a pint. Now, not even a text. Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

BMW M-Sport.
    They all just seen to be bog standard 520Ds with different coloured and shaped bits attached to look sportier. The middle class, middle aged equivalent of throwing a huge spoiler, aerial, farty sounding exhaust and tints on a 1.4 Bora.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Really? I kinda want to watch it just because it's the first foreign film to get the main Oscar.

I watched it a few months ago and thought it was a great film.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    BMW M-Sport.
    They all just seen to be bog standard 520Ds with different coloured and shaped bits attached to look sportier. The middle class, middle aged equivalent of throwing a huge spoiler, aerial, farty sounding exhaust and tints on a 1.4 Bora.

M-sport is a trim level, it was never meant to mean the car is faster etc. They look far better though and that’s the point, looks mean a lot with a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I have a cousin who has essentially disappeared off the face of earth since he had kids. It's actually worrying how secluded his life has become, although I do think it's more to do with his OH.

I have been at two of his immediate family's celebrations in the mean-time, and he has literally stayed for one pint, a bit of food and left early. This despite his own siblings having kids too.

Even his wedding was under the guise of a christening but was a surprise ceremony. Noticeably, a lot of his wife's side were present, but very few of his own cousins/friends. It seemed to be her day only.

I happened to bump into him randomly at the annual town festival in summer 2018, and he hadn't heard that one cousin had broken-up with a long-term girlfriend, or that my own brother had emigrated. I mean how out of the loop can you get. He must be the first man ever to be under the thumb. Even then, he was allowed have one drink, and it seemed like he was being monitored.

He used the ring me every weekend when he was single, and I always did my best to accommodate him if he wanted to go for a pint. Now, not even a text. Strange.

Might be worth having a chat. If he's that under her thumb as you say, thats not good. Monitored? Allowed? This makes me uneasy. The danger is he will end up totally isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Antares35 wrote: »
    This! We are expecting our first and I don't know how many times people have shouted prophecies of doom - "oh just you wait now" or "you're life is no longer your own" etc. Of course there will be changes but it's not like we will be shackled to the floor and not allowed out. I've spent a good chunk of my adult life juggling full time work, part time study and many additional responsibilities and constraints on my time. I think it is only if you live vicariously through your child with zero other interests or you are a very bad time manager that you will find yourself without a life*.

* I promise to report back if I eat these words :D
    :D:D

Come back in 6 months:D.My kids never ruled me,but unfortunatley they do have personalities of their own.And some dont sleep,take 6 hours to eat.They dont like the cold/heat.
    So what im saying its not really down to you for a few years.They rule the roost.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Ovulation I can understand. We are designed to be more attractive during this time - with a glow, nicer skin, more fertile and generally feeling an increased libido.. it's natures way of ensuring we procreate! :P The pregnancy one I don't get however - why would we be designed to look more attractive to males of the species when we are already impregnated with someone else's child? From an evolutionary perspective, I don't get it. Also from a practical one, have never had said glow! I just went from tired and grumpy to looking like I ate too many doughnuts to now just looking like usual me with a basketball stuffed under my dress :D:D (and am still grumpy though that could just be state of being for me)

I was thinking this.

Well, I thought for a man to sense his wife/partners pregnancy would make more sense than the family dog sensing it while he has no instinctive idea. Less so random men sensing it. Seamus post v. Interesting though. Never thought of that.
    Shame not all men are more drawn to or protective of pregnant partners by instinct but I guess the man's personality is a huge factor too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Maybe he's just happier living the life he lives now. A lot of men are quite happy to use the wife not letting them out to play lie as an excuse for avoiding social occasions they don't want to attend. I know that if I didn't nag my husband into phoning his parents they'd hear from him a lot less than they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

P*ssy whipped.
    Lads that have a domineering mammy don't mind being under the thumb of their nearest and dearest. It's like being institutionalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

A few years back a former Boards member directed a non-Hollywood science fiction movie for 10 million dollars. It made 25 grand at the American box office. I don't get why he's not in jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I don't get why people fill up their lives, with so much pointless sh!t...

Most of which just tires them out, and leaves them stressed and always rushing around trying to fit everything in.

Makes no sense to me. Free time to relax, is not just a luxury... it's a necessity for good health!

I really do think all these Cancers and other illnesses, are at least partly brought on by this busy-bee always on the go style of modern life! It's a total disaster for your health...

I don't get why people fill up their lives, with so much pointless sh!t...

Most of which just tires them out, and leaves them stressed and always rushing around trying to fit everything in.

Makes no sense to me. Free time to relax, is not just a luxury... it's a necessity for good health!

I really do think all these Cancers and other illnesses, are at least partly brought on by this busy-bee always on the go style of modern life! It's a total disaster for your health...

Lazing around would be far unhealthier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

I don't get when people say your life goes out the window when you have a baby. Only if your life is all nightlife in pubs but you can bring them with you most places. There are baby wraps.

For me, I don't see it as that at all. When my daughter was born it was like an awakening. I really can't describe the wonderous emotions of it.And over the years watching her grow, I got to relive another childhood through her. Nothing can beat that IMO.

Now she is of the age where I am old and ignorant and she knows best,heh.But still I would do it all over again.

Lazing around would be far unhealthier.

Relaxing and being lazy are not the same thing!

Although, I can see why some people might get them confused tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Questions when joining a Facebook group. They are stupid and annoying
    You could just use Google for the answers.
    They are not going to weed out scammers etc

Relaxing and being lazy are not the same thing!

Although, I can see why some people might get them confused tbf.

That's true. I have difficulty relaxing. Some have difficulty motivating themselves. Tricky

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

P*ssy whipped.
    Lads that have a domineering mammy don't mind being under the thumb of their nearest and dearest. It's like being institutionalised.

Classic spousal abuse signs tbh

P*ssy whipped.
    Whenever I hear that expression it's usually from grown men who haven't grown up and who resent the fact that the rest of their male friends have grown up settled down and don't want to be down the pub with them anymore because they'd rather be at home living a grown up life. There's a ridiculous number of men children out there who even at 50 will have the mentality of a 15 year old. The fact is most people grow up and don't want to do the same old same old with the same people they used to hang out with before they settled down. It's sad really that so many are going to pubs perving on girls who are young enough to be their daughters.

Whenever I hear that expression it's usually from grown men who haven't grown up and who resent the fact that the rest of their male friends have grown up settled down and don't want to be down the pub with them anymore because they'd rather be at home living a grown up life. There's a ridiculous number of men children out there who even at 50 will have the mentality of a 15 year old. The fact is most people grow up and don't want to do the same old same old with the same people they used to hang out with before they settled down. It's sad really that so many are going to pubs perving on girls who are young enough to be their daughters.

Yes, but we all know that "grown ups" are just dead inside...

This is why they have children. Their children give them a daily reminder, of what it was like before that "magic" died inside them. They can't ever get it back themselves... the best alternative they can find, is to live through their children instead! :D

However, some adults successfully manage to never fully "grow up". It takes great skill to achieve this... very few ever manage to pull it off though! :)

• Advertisement

Most men don't want to give up on life after having kids and most that do disappear are put under pressure just as that poster has said. I've yet to meet a man who won't go for a scatter of pints because he wants to "live a grown up life" whatever that is.

I can say that kids has not had a major impact on any of my peer group. Nights our are still regular, still at least once a week for many. Obvioulsy not the same freedom but far far from the disappearing of the face if the earth some describe and I refuse to accept people actually enjoy this not ever getting out and meeting friends etc.

I wouldn't be up for a scatter of pints.. I'll have a few and head home. Wouldn't want the next day ruined with a hangover. Not fair to the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

lawred2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be up for a scatter of pints.. I'll have a few and head home. Wouldn't want the next day ruined with a hangover. Not fair to the kids.

That's exactly what I do, plenty of time for pints when they grow up

lawred2 wrote: »

Or just man up and get on with the day.

It’s also a reason Thursday pints is still a popular one though among friends and work colleagues, you are going to work on Friday anyway so aren’t having to be hungover around kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I disagree.

It's a bit sad when your movements are monitored and restricted. Fück that. I'd rather be in a prison camp.

Also define "grown up", does all fun evaporate when you "grow up", going for a relaxed pint is somehow childish?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

It’s also a reason Thursday pints is still a popular one though among friends and work colleagues, you are going to work on Friday anyway so aren’t having to be hungover around kids.

How about this crazy scenario, he has a clatter of pints and does what you say and man's up and drives his kids while still under the influence, what is your issue with him having a different outlook to drinking than you have?

you are so cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I don’t think Nox has children yet. Talk is cheap. :pac:

Most men don't want to give up on life after having kids and most that do disappear are put under pressure just as that poster has said. I've yet to meet a man who won't go for a scatter of pints because he wants to "live a grown up life" whatever that is.

I can say that kids has not had a major impact on any of my peer group. Nights our are still regular, still at least once a week for many. Obvioulsy not the same freedom but far far from the disappearing of the face if the earth some describe and I refuse to accept people actually enjoy this not ever getting out and meeting friends etc.
    How do you know that they don't get out and meet people? Often people get bored with the same old same old with the same old faces and they just move on. Instead of being blunt and just saying that they aren't interested in hanging out with you or going for pints they just make excuses and blame the wife just as the wife makes excuses with her friends and blames the husband.

• Advertisement

I disagree.

It's a bit sad when your movements are monitored and restricted. Fück that. I'd rather be in a prison camp.

Also define "grown up", does all fun evaporate when you "grow up", going for a relaxed pint is somehow childish?
    Maybe one day you'll be in a serious relationship with someone and you'll discover for yourself that you'd rather be with them than in the pub with some guys.

Advertisement